Light-O-Rama Forums

Putting Controllers in Yard

pstigerfan

I actually had a bunch of spare lumber lying around from a previous project so I used it to make a nice little stand for my 3 controllers (photo attached). If I remember correctly, the stand is 24" wide, 30" long, and 30" tall and provided enough clearance above the ground for all of the cord connections.

I simply took 4" drywall screws and screwed the enclosures right to the 2x4 on the top of the stand. This stand is sitting right outside of my front door, in view of everyone to see (also right next to a security camera) and no one has bothered to mess with it yet.

The stand weighs about 50 pounds total, has about 10 pounds of bricks attached to it that are buried in the dirt, and is chained to several bushes and bricks with heavy-duty chain and two locks. Plus all of my cords are zipped and taped together to the controllers. If a thief wanted to take them, he would have to take the entire display with him (which would be impossible). :D

Attached files 280825=15585-302050_2662768095490_1444598797_33166669_369158495_n.jpg

JBullard wrote:

I advise against using high voltage signs.

In the event anyone is shocked or injured, you have, in fact, admitted to their attorney that you have created a dangerous environment in a residential area, without also installing high chain link fencing or another means of physically preventing them from entering your property.
Their atty would also want proof that you complied with all local codes and permits since you KNEW you had created a dangerous situation.

In addition, by installing such signs, your homeowners insurance company could deny coverage for any liability coverage, since you created a dangerous environment on purpose.

Forget about those signs.

Clearly some very valid points from a legal perspective but at work today I was standing there waiting for the copier and I noticed the electrical box on the wall.

electrical.JPG

How is this any different or is it? I would think by putting a sign saying Danger 120 Volts not acknowledging a dangerous situation but warning of a danger, so don't touch. Just like I have heard if you have a dog you should put a Beware of Dog or Dog on Property sign up because you are protecting yourself from litigation if your dog bites someone.

So I googled that and found this interesting thread. http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=9056

Though with that said I have an idea. What if you took a metal zip tie and zip tied the power cord on the controller to the power cord you use to plug in the controller. Who in there right mind is going to risk cutting a live power cable. Probably the same people who would steal copper out of live street lights. Here is a visual with a standard ziptie. Kinda hard to steal without cutting a live wire.
idea.JPG
Though they'd likely cut the ziptie first huh? You have to admit I am onto something you just need something stronger than a ziptie.

The person who is going to steal your controller will be a kid or a pissed off neighbor who will look for a quick easy steal. Little things will likely deter 95% of thieves the other 5% will get it no matter what you do.