Light-O-Rama Forums

Putting Controllers in Yard

pstigerfan

My yard speakers are screwed into 20lb concrete pier blocks (used for floor foundations). Then chained to a nearby bust using dog-run chain (cheap). Not completely vandal proof, but try lugging 20 pounds of concrete back to your car in the middle of the night.

The controllers are the PC kind with the plastic enclosures that have a padlock hole on the right side. In goes a small padlock and several bicycle lock braided wire things. Controllers are screwed to the outside roof rafters with a custom-made adapter plate of 16 gage steel.

This year i'm making some steel enclosures that will hold three controller cards each and they will be chained closed and also chained to something solid.

My only worry is someone trying to pull these with a tow rope from a car. Maybe I worry too much.

cenote wrote:

jim6918 wrote:
I've thought about low light or IR video, but seen some of the videos done with those systems and I wouldn't recognize my own kids creep across the yard.

You haven't seen my camera's...:D:D:D

Installing extra IR floods around house, looks like HD at night!

I would be interested in hearing what brand and model of cameras you have. Can you give details? I might be interested in buying seomthing quality.

Last year I kept my controllers in the garage, but this year I'm considering putting them outside attached to 2 U Stakes each as shown above.

I am considering zip-tie-ing each cord to the pig tail. This would slow someone down or hopefully discourage them from attempting to mess with a controller since they would either have to cut each cord, or unwind it from all over the yard. Do you all think this would actually help, or would it just create more headaches for me?

One of my channels for the mega tree is left available for a Heath Zenith 240 Degree Wireless Motion light, which is mounted on the mega tree pole. It came with 2 remote sensors and I added 2 more, along with a module that turns on my study light upstairs.

Heath Zenith 240 Degree Wireless Motion Sensor with Light Kit
http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvn5/R-202650707/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Heath Zenith 270-Degree Replacement Motion Sensor
http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvn5/R-100654980/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Heath Zenith Indoor Lamp Plug-in With Alert
http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvn5/R-100654949/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

JBullard wrote:

I advise against using high voltage signs.

In the event anyone is shocked or injured, you have, in fact, admitted to their attorney that you have created a dangerous environment in a residential area, without also installing high chain link fencing or another means of physically preventing them from entering your property.
Their atty would also want proof that you complied with all local codes and permits since you KNEW you had created a dangerous situation.

In addition, by installing such signs, your homeowners insurance company could deny coverage for any liability coverage, since you created a dangerous environment on purpose.

Forget about those signs.

I live in an apartment complex and management stated I had to use them.

I also have a fence around the display as well as the signs posted inside near the controller stand and at the opposite end. So I had little choice, it was add the signs and fence off the area with a form of temporary fencing or they wouldn't approve of the display being put up.

Here's a photo of my display with the sign in front of the controller stand:

Attached files 267200=14803-Halloween2011_018_small.jpg

I have had some issues with vandals messing with my displays in the past. I wanted to get a fully autonomous robotic paintball firing system. However the wife would not approve it for me to use.

Since I am not allowed to use these systems I have installed motion detector lights and cameras. I may tie my motion detector into my fire alarm system so when the motion detector is activated it fires off the strobes and fire alarm siren. I may have to set a time limit on the fire alarm speaker. Not sure I want it going off at 2 in the morning but then again maybe I do.

I also have a junk yard dog that keep on patrol in the evening as well. He love to chase vandals. ;)

Attached files 267203=14805-DSCF1294.JPG

Orville,

I'm not surprised the Apartment Mgmt wanted you to use fencing and signs.

That releases them from primary liability and shifts it to you and your insurance company, since you created the potential "hazard".

Powers_Ronald wrote:

One of my channels for the mega tree is left available for a Heath Zenith 240 Degree Wireless Motion light, which is mounted on the mega tree pole. It came with 2 remote sensors and I added 2 more, along with a module that turns on my study light upstairs.

Heath Zenith 240 Degree Wireless Motion Sensor with Light Kit
http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvn5/R-202650707/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Heath Zenith 270-Degree Replacement Motion Sensor
http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvn5/R-100654980/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Heath Zenith Indoor Lamp Plug-in With Alert
http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvn5/R-100654949/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I installed the same motion light sensor system. The beauty of this system is you do not have to run power lines a million miles to each light you want to hook up with the added advantage of being able to move the motion sensor if needed.

When I put all of my Christmas decorations out I will move the motion sensor to the best location for protection of my decorations and then when the season is over it will go back up on the house.

JBullard wrote:

Orville,

I'm not surprised the Apartment Mgmt wanted you to use fencing and signs.

That releases them from primary liability and shifts it to you and your insurance company, since you created the potential "hazard".

Well that isn't what they told me, they said "THEIR INSURANCE" company required it since it is THEIR PROPERTY, not mine! So they would be liable if something happened, not me. Otherwise, I may just pull those signs even if have to dismantle the damn display, as I AM NOT going to be held responsible for what they told me to do (which is in writing!). Now that will tick me off after all the hard work I put into it and all the residents lhere really ove it. They all think those signs are just a "part of the display" and don't really mean a darn thing, just part of the motif. So kind of a hard call on that one.

Even so, we all create HAZARDS just by using extension cords all over a yard where anyone could walk and trip over too. So either way you CAN get sued if someone were to pursue it.

This is why my display will ALWAYS have a temporary fencing around it from now on, that way I am protected and the signage being BEHIND the fence and someone enters DOES NOT MAKE ME RESPONSIBLE! They violated a NO TRESPASSING SIGN which will hold up incourt, has many times here in the past, despite wether it states High Voltage present, DO NOT ENTER or anything else for that matter as long as NO TRESPASSING is stated on the sign.

• 1 month later...

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I've got another question. I have one of those 50 gallon storage containers that is lockable. It has enough room to put my controllers (stacked on top of each other) along with my show computer and small FM transmitter.

My show computer is an Acer small-form factor machine (its like 4" wide by 6" deep or something like that). My question is, am I able to stack controllers on top of each other (I am using 3 controllers), and if so, do I have to worry about any heat issues? I'm not worried about my show computer, since that thing does not generate any heat, but heat always destroys electrical items if not controlled.

Please give me your thoughts. I start putting up my display bright and early tomorrow morning. Its supposed to be in the mid-50s tomorrow with some sun, so I'm taking advantage of it. Better to be out there in the sun then in the cold and snow. :)

Thanks,
Paul

here my answer to the possible theft issue well i guess i just carried diy to the extreme concrete is mixed and poured it only took 3 hours but it is a thing of beauty 2 foot 6 X 2foot 6 4 inchs thick at the edges 5 inchs thick in the middle weight 800 pounds

This is my first year with LOR so I have no previous experience with vandalism in this situation but I have worked in the cable tv industry now for a little over a decade. That being said i remember sitting in a meeting about 7 years ago with vandalism as the main topic. We had tons of lock boxes and even grey house boxes being busted open by costumers themselves or just kids curious and eger to tear something up. This was especially true in Apts and the projects. So someone had the idea to move all the grey house boxes and metal lock boxes to 12 ft high on the side of every building for any area that has had reported problems.

I remember laughing at the time thinking to myself that we have people that pry open dead bolt style 6 ft tall metal lock boxes and they think sticking them higher on the wall will stop folks. Well surprisingly enough it did and I would say a huge percentage of those boxes we moved up still to this day have not been touched by anyone other than our techs. Surprised the crap out of me but I guess if it takes a step ladder to get to then it's not worth the effort in a vandals eyes. Maybe give it a try and mount them 12 ft high on a side of the house that doesn't face the street. If you look around your own area you can see this being done by every utility. You will see electrical boxes mounted on poles at different heights around town as well as meters and phone boxes as well. It's crazy how well it actually works and how simple it is.

In my case I keep my controllers out of sight (behind shrubs, trees, etc.). I use the controller stands from WowLights. You could try hiding them in something or some other type of camouflage (pump house cover).

John Raymen wrote:

how about a truck box chained to a tree with a car alarm in it
That is only legal in Alabama and West Virginia and even then your sister has to be sitting on top of it with a shotgun! :dude:

I realize this post was from last season but wanted to chime in as this has also been a concern of mine. It's a toss up when you look at the cost of extension cords, PST cord or not, and the cost of the controller. My solution, CONCRETE. I dug a small hole, 12" deep and shovel width. I pounded a 3/8" by 24" piece of rebar into the hole leaving about 8" exposed in the hole and then poured concrete into the hole. I then placed a an 8" eye bolt into the concrete just leaving the "eye" at gound level. This provides me my anchore when chaining and locking the controler. I think it will be enough detourant should there be an attempt. Hope that helps anyone who has this concern. All the best.

Hi every one. Also this will be my first time in the lights show, Im planing to install the controller into the garage and run under the gate the 16 power cords (8 under the right side and 8 under left side), my house is a townhouse so thats why. I just installed tonight a double extra 20amp power outlet into the garage very close to the gate.
Maybe I can put a sign like this: trespasser will be shot, survivors will be re-shot.