Light-O-Rama Forums

New User

marco766

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:
Nope, Kohl's and maybe the local nursery. She is a Plantaholic.

there's your angle...she "needs" to buy some "mini trees" for your lights...

some that can "grow up" some day to be Mega Trees!!!
I like the way you think!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• marco766

• caniac

• jimswinder

Top Posters In This Topic

Orville wrote:

caniac wrote:
you have to remember that last year was my first year and all of this can be a bit overwhelming. thanks to this forum it is less so now.

Believe me, last year(2010) was my FIRST year as well. I am only into my second year this year (2011). And just wanted to share what I learned in less than my first year after moving into the LOR family.

Prior to LOR I, was using a 4 Channel Wireless Mr. Christmas unit for my display animations and the "canned" music that it played.
had something similar to that that i found at Lowe's Hardware. half worked half of the time and only two of the four channels reliably. this is so much easier.

caniac wrote:

Orville wrote:
Believe me, last year(2010) was my FIRST year as well. I am only into my second year this year (2011). And just wanted to share what I learned in less than my first year after moving into the LOR family.

Prior to LOR I, was using a 4 Channel Wireless Mr. Christmas unit for my display animations and the "canned" music that it played.
had something similar to that that i found at Lowe's Hardware. half worked half of the time and only two of the four channels reliably. this is so much easier.

Yes, if you didn't keep the wireless modules close enough to the main control box, they would become erratic or not operate at all. I had to move my control box to a "centered" position between the 4 modules and never had any issues, but if I mounted the modules a few inches further out, they'd lose the signal.

Definitely agree, LOR is much nicer in this respect and the Cat5 cables between controllers blends right in with all the other power cords or the landscaping. :)

Orville wrote:

caniac wrote:
Orville wrote:

Yes, if you didn't keep the wireless modules close enough to the main control box, they would become erratic or not operate at all. I had to move my control box to a "centered" position between the 4 modules and never had any issues, but if I mounted the modules a few inches further out, they'd lose the signal.

Definitely agree, LOR is much nicer in this respect and the Cat5 cables between controllers blends right in with all the other power cords or the landscaping. :)
as long as you use green cat5 and green powercords!! lol

caniac wrote:

Orville wrote:
Definitely agree, LOR is much nicer in this respect and the Cat5 cables between controllers blends right in with all the other power cords or the landscaping. :D
as long as you use green cat5 and green powercords!! lol

Well some of my own made cords from old Christmas light wires and ends are green(some of these are white), most of my extension cords are brown, some are white and I do have some "green" ones as well. And also about 6 power stakes that are green.

They all seemed to blend in just fine after dark. But I zip tie all my cords together and try to tie the "darker" cords to the outsie and keep the lighter ones, like white hidden inside the bundle when possible. Although some of my decor uses white cord and with those I'd just use the white cords, that way you didn't see a white cord dangling from the item (like the wire frame deer or my wire frame skulls) and then just disappear, kept a natural fluid look to it, of course once the cords hit the ground and were in the bushes or shrubs, then the next color would be green or brown.

I also zip tie my extension cords in such a manner that they can't be unplugged from each other either, this way I don't have any accidental unplugs or someone trying to "unplug" a cord and walk off with it. I zip tie the power connections of my controller dongles to the cords the same way, no cords working their way loose or falling out. Also helps to keep theft down since it would take a lot of time to cut all the zip ties and unplug the cords. I use zip ties to hold my lights in place in trees, shrubs and bushes too.

As many zip ties as I use I should own stock in the zip tie manufacturing companies! LOL

It also prevents some joker from unplugging my display elements and moving the cords around to different dongles on the controllers that could really foul up a display too or just unplugging all the cords and leave them lying on the ground! Which this has happened to some folks.

I make it as difficult as possible to tamper with any of my display or lighting elements. Of course when it's tear down time, it takes a little longer cutting all the darn zip ties off, but I haven't had an issue with doing this and I did this to my display and cords even before I started using LOR products!

Orville wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
martinmc wrote:
Now all you have to do is download some of the elders sequences into the program to get a feel of how it works

elders huh...

smart alex punk kid!!! :D

I know for sure he was talking about you Jim the rest of us are way to young be in that catagory LOL :P:P

Actually that isn't true. I also fall into Jim's age category. Just checked his profile and he was born 2 years before I was, and 2 years IS NOT that big of an age difference where Jim and I are at!

So I guess I am an "Elder Newbie" :P;) since I just started with LOR officially in 2010 for my first and second displays/shows.

Unofficially I bought my first CTB16-PC controller in December 2009 used.

hi guys, this should make you all proud........

The Elders are an independent group of eminent global leaders, brought together by Nelson Mandela, who offer their collective influence and experience to support peace building, help address major causes of human suffering and promote the shared interests of humanity.

Ok, i think Old School compared to newbies would have been a better term to use.