Light-O-Rama Forums

New User

marco766

marco766 wrote:

As far as quality in light show it's all the same correct? Thanks guy's.

Quality of the show depends on your artistic skills...

Light placement, sequencing, song selection, etc...

But yes, either LOR product will give you the best quality show possible...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• marco766

• caniac

• jimswinder

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Don Gillespie

marco766 wrote:

I live in San Jose,CA. Looks like I will start with the CTB16PC. As far as quality in light show it's all the same correct? Thanks guy's.

Might be some guys in San Jose that could help you out or they might be close, as far as a quality light show I agree with Jim make it your own and have fun. :D

As far as the software. Would you go standard or basic Plus. Don't think I need the advanced version. Thanks again. What's the chances in me getting one on sale tonight?

Welcome to the LOR Forums Marco. Think I have been chatting with you over on PC (Planet Christmas).

I also would recommend the CTB16PC Controllers, like most others here.

I own 5 CTB16PC controllers (80 channels) and wouldn't trade them for the world, well, except maybe to uprade them for their newest counterparts

Also have a Mobile Black Box FM Transmitter (MBB Eclipse 4000) and the LOR DC-MP3 Showtime Director.

I was at first going to go with the mini director, but it has one issue I didn't like, it DOES NOT have a REAL TIME CLOCK built into it. The DC-MP3 Showtime Director does, so it can control your shows via it's internal clock without the need of external timers, which, I, myself, prefer to avoid.

Otherwise both are pretty much identical. The LOR DC-MP3 Showtime Director does come in two flavors, you can get it as a circuit card or pre-installed in a metal case which costs about $20 more than the circuit card model. Power is supplied to the DC-MP3 Showtime Director in one of two (2) ways, either direct from a powered controller via a Cat5 cable or from the optional LOR 12VDC Adapter.

The metal case version has tabs for screw mounting. Not sure how the circuit card only version would be mounted, you may or may not need to buy an enclosure to mount it.

Mine (DC-MP3 Showtime Director in case) is mounted inside a weatherproof phenolic case along with my FM Transmitter. I also use outdoor speakers connected to an FM Radio set at low volume for walker/passer bys not in cars.

I also use locks on all my controller and FM/MP3 boxes to keep out prying hands and to keep someone from opening one and getting electrocuted. Not so much to prevent theft, but for safety issues, but I'm sure it deters theft as well.

Again, Welcome to the forums and if you need anything, just ask.

This is the GREATEST and VERY BEST place to get knowledge from the experts that have been using the LOR products for much longer than we have and the LOR SUPPORT FOLKS ARE WAY ABOVE TOP NOTCH!!!

I've only be doing this since last year myself (Halloween and Christmas 2010) and this forum has been of extreme help in resolving issues or just getting help on how to get something to work correctly!

Welcome to the addction!:D

cbraz70 wrote:

using ShowTime Pro LOR1602W with Mini Director with MP3 Player do you still need a timer.

Here's the Mini Directors description: (copied from the link you supplied): Note the BOLDED area.

The mDC-MP3(mini Director Card with MP3 Player) is designed to control a network of Light-O-Rama (LOR) light controllers while simultaneously playing MP3 music files. This is our smallest director unit. It does not have an internal clock for scheduling shows so an external timer is required.

-------------------------- END COPIED DESCRIPTION ----------------------

So unfortunately, the answer is Yes, you will need an external timer using that particular unit.

cbraz70 wrote:

using ShowTime Pro LOR1602W with Mini Director with MP3 Player do you still need a timer.

Yes, you still need a timer.

I agree that the internal timer in the would be nice, but the difference in price between the mini-director and the Showtime director is $89 (sale) vs $250. Considering a nice electronic timer costs $20-$25, the additional $160 savings nearly buys me another PC controller. No brainer in my mind. Especially since with my setup, I have my radio station sign not on a channel and just turns on with the same timer.

marco766 wrote:

As far as the software. Would you go standard or basic Plus. Don't think I need the  advanced version.  Thanks again. What's the chances in me getting one on sale tonight?

Hi neighbor (I'm in San Jose too) I went with the Advanced software last October when I jumped in. the beat wizard had been a huge help in sequencing new songs.

Where in SJ are you (I'm in the Almaden Valley)

Don Gillespie wrote:

Might be some guys in San Jose that could help you out or they might be close, as far as a quality light show I agree with Jim make it your own and have fun. :D

There are many nearby. We have a group of about 9 of us in Sunnyvale/Santa Clara, including myself, Severex, sjmiller, and ryebred. I found a LOR house in the Willow Glen area on Clark street: http://www.perrcait.com

Marco, where is your display?

Guest Don Gillespie

Steven wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

There are many nearby. We have a group of about 9 of us in Sunnyvale/Santa Clara, including myself, Severex, sjmiller, and ryebred. I found a LOR house in the Willow Glen area on Clark street: http://www.perrcait.com

Marco, where is your display?

I knew you guys would step up to the plate and help him out way to go guys :P

marco766 wrote:

Guys I'm so excited getting ready to purchase my Controller at the sale. Should I purchase the advanced software today or wait and do a upgrade?

The Software isn't on sale so you can get that anytime.

MikeH

marco766 wrote:

So just buy the CTB16 PC. Then get the software later. One last question
Can I get the Lor 1602w with mp3 and have it control all of the CTB16 PC.

Or can get the CTB16PC with MP3 and also have it control all of the other CTB16PCs. :D