Light-O-Rama Forums

New User

marco766

marco766 wrote:

Well I got in at 7 pst had the software and controller in basket hit submit and only got charged for the software. I go back and it's gone sold out.

There is always the summer sale, or regular price. Don't worry, you will get one.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• marco766

• caniac

• jimswinder

Top Posters In This Topic

marco766 wrote:

how much is it at summer sale? Should I keep the order with the software? Order was only confirmed for software.

Why not? Start sequencing now.

My guess is that the PC controllers will only be about $10-$15 more during the summer sale (from what I remember).

marco766 wrote:

how much is it at summer sale? Should I keep the order with the software? Order was only confirmed for software.

hi marco,

i am pretty much new to this game (maybe 4 weeks) as well so here's my advise to you, yeap its a bummer about the controller but don't worry to much about it because you will be able to pick one up in the summer sale when there are no limits.

Now here's the good news, when i downloaded the demo software i was a little confused and couldn't quite grasp how the whole programming worked. When you have the software on hand it is a whole different story... once you load a pic of the house, draw in some channels its like music to the soul, suddenly it all makes sense.

Whats cool about the advanced is the full screen in the visualizer which really gives you a feel for what your doing. Now all you have to do is download some of the elders sequences into the program to get afeel of how it works and then start sequencing like crazy.. i have already done about 5 songs for my first halloween....

watch out its way to much fun, takes up way to much time and so much for my 401k !!!!!

martinmc wrote:

Now all you have to do is download some of the elders sequences into the program to get a feel of how it works

elders huh...

smart alex punk kid!!! :)

I only meant elders as in more experienced users am sure there are members half my age around here !!!!!!!

Did you try again as of a couple of minutes ago there still was some controllers left !!!!!

marco766 wrote:

I would definitely recommend getting the software, however, when I first tried that, Dan sent me an e-mail telling me you can't just buy the software stand-alone (unless that's changed now) and that I could only purchase the software with the purchase of a controller.

I had already bought a controller from a private individual, so I had already bought the DC-MP3 Showtime Director (which is the same price as a fully assembled CTB16PC Controller not on sale) instead of a controller, because I had bought one used prior, and so Dan allowed me to purchase the software for my next purchase since I had bought the DC-MP3 Showtime Director.

Of course I ended up buying 4 more CTB16PC controllers not too much later, as well as upgraded the software to the "Advanced" license so I could use all the options that are available in the software as well as be unlimited in the number of controllers I could use.

So I'm not sure if you can just purchase the software by itself, if so, then go ahead and buy the software and start sequencing. If not, just wait and buy the software when you can also buy a controller.

I didn't wait for any sales because from what I had read, chances were I wouldn't get anything, so I paid full price for everything and I have NEVER, NOT ONCE, ever regretted that decision or upgrading the software to "Advanced".

Of course this also made me start spending even more money on Blowmolds, extra lights and modifying or building items for my displays as well as buying hundreds of extension cords! (I think I have around 600+ extension cords at last count, these include many I made and many store bought ones.

I can never understand how some will spend so much on controllers and lights, but then won't buy the Advanced software.

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

martinmc wrote:
Now all you have to do is download some of the elders sequences into the program to get a feel of how it works

elders huh...

smart alex punk kid!!! :(

I know for sure he was talking about you Jim the rest of us are way to young be in that catagory LOL :D:P

CKSedg wrote:

I can never understand how some will spend so much on controllers and lights, but then won't buy the Advanced software.
sometimes you just don't need the additional features. I started off with Standard and quickly upgraded to standard plus (honestly by accident, thought i had basic). At some point I may upgrade to advanced but being a real novice there is no need now.

caniac wrote:

CKSedg wrote:
sometimes you just don't need the additional features. I started off with Standard and quickly upgraded to standard plus (honestly by accident, thought i had basic). At some point I may upgrade to advanced but being a real novice there is no need now.

That was my EXACT thinking too when I first started, but I started with Basic+. After playing with the software and doing some sequencing, I found out real quick I wanted more features and wanted to control more controllers since I had planned on adding more controllers in the near future and Basic+ would only control 4 controllers maximum. And although I hadn't really planned on it, I ended up with 5 controllers (80 channels) and I wouldn't have been able to use that 5th controller under the Basic+ license. Because the Basic+ only allows Unit ID's of 01,02,03 and 04 and now I had an 05 and wouldn't be able to use it. Well I could, but it would have to be identified as the same ID as one of the other controllers, meaning everything on that controller wouid be on at the same time as the one with the same ID number, that is I could ID two controllers as 02 and both would be on at the same time. Not the effect I would want.

Advanced really is the best way to go, it also opens up ALL the features of the software, all the wizards work and you are unlimited in the number of controllers you can use, a huge benefit as your display grows over time.

Why anyone wouldn't want the Advanced license when it offers so much more versatility even astounds me and I just started with LOR in 2010. 2011 is my second year and I upgraded my license just as soon as I possibly could.

But it IS YOUR Decision and your money, we are all just saying that the Advanced license is well worth the investment for anyone seriously getting into the LOR Animated/Musical Displays.

Sooner or later(and will probably be much sooner than you think), you may find out you will need that Advanced License and some of the features not available in the lower licensing schemes.

Orville wrote:

caniac wrote:
CKSedg wrote:

That was my EXACT thinking too when I first started, but I started with Basic+. After playing with the software and doing some sequencing, I found out real quick I wanted more features and wanted to control more controllers since I had planned on adding more controllers in the near future and Basic+ would only control 4 controllers maximum. And although I hadn't really planned on it, I ended up with 5 controllers (80 channels) and I wouldn't have been able to use that 5th controller under the Basic+ license. Because the Basic+ only allows Unit ID's of 01,02,03 and 04 and now I had an 05 and wouldn't be able to use it. Well I could, but it would have to be identified as the same ID as one of the other controllers, meaning everything on that controller wouid be on at the same time as the one with the same ID number, that is I could ID two controllers as 02 and both would be on at the same time. Not the effect I would want.

Advanced really is the best way to go, it also opens up ALL the features of the software, all the wizards work and you are unlimited in the number of controllers you can use, a huge benefit as your display grows over time.

Why anyone wouldn't want the Advanced license when it offers so much more versatility even astounds me and I just started with LOR in 2010. 2011 is my second year and I upgraded my license just as soon as I possibly could.

But it IS YOUR Decision and your money, we are all just saying that the Advanced license is well worth the investment for anyone seriously getting into the LOR Animated/Musical Displays.

Sooner or later(and will probably be much sooner than you think), you may find out you will need that Advanced License and some of the features not available in the lower licensing schemes.
you have to remember that last year was my first year and all of this can be a bit overwhelming. thanks to this forum it is less so now.

Don Gillespie wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
martinmc wrote:

elders huh...

smart alex punk kid!!! :)

I know for sure he was talking about you Jim the rest of us are way to young be in that catagory LOL :):P

Actually that isn't true. I also fall into Jim's age category. Just checked his profile and he was born 2 years before I was, and 2 years IS NOT that big of an age difference where Jim and I are at!

So I guess I am an "Elder Newbie" :P;) since I just started with LOR officially in 2010 for my first and second displays/shows.

Unofficially I bought my first CTB16-PC controller in December 2009 used.

just bit the bullet and upgraded my standard to advanced. now to talk to the significant other about controllers 4 & 5.

caniac wrote:

just bit the bullet and upgraded my standard to advanced. now to talk to the significant other about controllers 4 & 5.

I sense a trip to Nordstroms is on the horizon for you...

and you might want to save that bullet...you'll be "biting it" for quite awhile now... :)

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:

I sense a trip to Nordstroms is on the horizon for you...
Nope, Kohl's and maybe the local nursery. She is a Plantaholic.

caniac wrote:

Nope, Kohl's and maybe the local nursery. She is a Plantaholic.

there's your angle...she "needs" to buy some "mini trees" for your lights...

some that can "grow up" some day to be Mega Trees!!!

caniac wrote:

you have to remember that last year was my first year and all of this can be a bit overwhelming. thanks to this forum it is less so now.

Believe me, last year(2010) was my FIRST year as well. I am only into my second year this year (2011). And just wanted to share what I learned in less than my first year after moving into the LOR family.

Prior to LOR I, was using a 4 Channel Wireless Mr. Christmas unit for my display animations and the "canned" music that it played.