Light-O-Rama Forums

New User

marco766

Hello Guys my name Is Marco. This year is my first year with running a light show. Hopefully I'm lucky to get one on sale today. My question is i'm stuck on LOR 1602W or the CTB 16PC. I have been reading the boards here for 3 months and looks like it's prertty even with what people think is the best controler. I think I'm going with the LOR 1602W. What does everyone think of my choice?. Do the light linkers work pretty well. As far as the software.Should I go with the standard or advanced?. This looks like a very addicting habit. I'm looking forward to running a 64 channel setup for next year. Starting off with a 16 channel. Thanks for all your help. Is it Christmas yet?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• marco766

• caniac

• jimswinder

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Marco. Welcome. I'm in favor of the CTB16PC myself. If you're going to run the show from your computer I can't think of a single reason to buy anything else.

Welcome aboard Marco

Personally i got the LOR 1602W because i will use the MP3 mounted in the controller and then all the rest will be CTB16PC's. Only drawback on the MP3 is it will not play Wav files..but with alittle converting with Audacity should not be a problem.

Enjoy the MADNESS!!!!

I agree with George also...I bought two 1602W my first year and then realized after the fact I didn't really need them...

as for Standard or Advanced software...unless you are going to have any Interactive Shows or go beyond 128 Channels I think Standard is good for you.

I take it you saw the comparisons between the two already :

http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimeSoftwareSuite.html

Welcome aboard Marco! I agree that the CTB16PC is the way to go if you plan to run a show to music. Both control lights the EXACT same way (a common misunderstanding). Both can be run off either a computer or a director/mini-director (mini is on sale too). Save the money so you can buy more controllers now or later.

Good discussions on this topic:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum25/23291.html
(changed to this discussion half way down the page)

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum80/22003-1.html
(best discussion starts on page 2)

With regards to the wireless Light Linkers...unless you have a place where you can run a cat5 cable across (such as across the street) it just doesn't make much sense to use the Light Linkers. You still have to run power to the lights (can't wait until that is wireless!) so it isn't a big deal to run a single cat5 to each controller--can get a 100ft cat5 cable for less than $10. Again, save the money for more controllers.

Well looks like I might change my mind and get a CTB 16PC. You guys are great,always great advise. I'm going to try hard and get one on sale today. Looks like the majority of you guys like the CTB 16PC.

marco766 wrote:

Well looks like I might change my mind and get a CTB 16PC. You guys are great,always great advise. I'm going to try hard and get one on sale today. Looks like the majority of you guys like the CTB 16PC.
I have two of those and just purchased a third, the only issues I have had were windows XP related and fixed by rebooting my pc.

cbraz70 wrote:

do i have this right if i get 1 LOR1602W it can run all my other CTB16PC without the need of a computer. Is there any negatives doing this.
as far as I know that is a yes and no. you will need a computer for the mp3 and sequences. once you create those and your shows you will move them to an SD card that goes into the LOR1602W and will control the show and other controllers.

The LOR1602W has mounting plate already installed that will hold a DC-MP3 Director, Which is NOT included but handy if you go that route.

Since i use the LOR1602W year round for mood lighting i don't want to tie up a computer. As a bonus the showtime series has a MUCH longer warrenty.

caniac wrote:

cbraz70 wrote:
do i have this right if i get 1 LOR1602W it can run all my other CTB16PC without the need of a computer. Is there any negatives doing this.
as far as I know that is a yes and no. you will need a computer for the mp3 and sequences. once you create those and your shows you will move them to an SD card that goes into the LOR1602W and will control the show and other controllers.

Not quite right. You need a computer or a director to play any songs for either a CTB16PC or a LOR1602W controller. Neither controller can do this on their own. The LOR1602 can do stand-alone control of ANIMATION sequences (blinky lights but no music) only. And yes, the LOR1602 controller can then send the signal to the CTB16PC controllers to play only ANIMATION sequences (not Musical ones). What Ron is referring to is that he has mounted a director inside his enclosure. LOR1602W with MP3 Show Director

So to run a display with music sequences with either controller you have to have either:
1) a computer
2) a MP3 Director or mini-director (one of the 2 below--both will work with either controller)
Mini Director with MP3 Player
ShowTime MP3 Director

Note that the mini is in the sale today.

So, you can have all CTB16PC controllers and run musical sequences from your computer or from one of the above directors. Or you can have all Showtime LOR1602 controllers and do the same, or you can have a mix, and still do the same.

Ron Amedee wrote:

As a bonus the showtime series has a MUCH longer warrenty.

See warranty info here:
http://www.lightorama.com/Warranty.html

1 yr for CTB16PC controllers
2 yr for Showtime controllers

I honestly haven't heard of many people having problems with their controllers in the first year or 2 either way.

However, note their incredible replacement policy either way:

Unconditional Lifetime Replacement Policy:
Regardless of current end user, any Light-O-Rama hardware device that fails for any reason (e.g. eaten by dog, no longer like color) can be replaced with the same or current equivalent unit for 60% of the current list price of the new unit. The end-user is responsible for shipping the old unit back to Light-O-Rama and for the shipping costs of the new unit. In the event that there is no current equivalent for an Light-O-Rama device, Light-O-Rama will make every attempt to work something equitable out. Light-O-Rama will also honor this policy for any other manufacturer’s device for which we currently have a comparable device.

And everybody will agree that no matter what, LOR support is amazingly good (no matter how old your controller is). They will help you troubleshoot and walk you through any repairs needed. Plus there is thousands here in the forums willing to help too.

cbraz70 wrote:

ok, i think i got it now so if i dont want to control my lights with computer all i need is a Mini Director with MP3 Player and all i have to do is load sequence and music files.

Bingo!

My display is a mini-director, which sends a signal to my first CTB16PC controller and my FM transmitter. Then a cat5 runs from the 1st CTB16PC to the 2nd CTB16PC, which has a cat 5 which runs to the 3rd, etc.

You make the show on your PC and transfer it to a SD card, which then you put that in your mini-director. Here is a sample picture of a setup. The controllers in area 6 can be either type of controller (doesn't have to include showtime controllers like in the picture). See here for setup diagrams like this and descriptions: http://www.lightorama.com/TypicalSetups.html

LOR-BasicLayoutWithMiniDirector.png

In the picture, green line is cat5. (Yellow line is optional trigger button if you want to add). Red is audio line that goes to either speakers or FM transmitter. Blue line is nothing (just showing that you take the SD card from the computer to the director).

Another point that is often missed is that if you run your display off of a computer, that computer will be fairly tied up each night you run the show. I don't believe that the LOR software is a CPU hog by any means, so you could definitely use the computer for other things, but any sound that your computer makes ("you've got mail!") will be broadcasted through the speakers or FM transmitter of your show.

With regards to the enclosure (plastic vs metal) of the 2 controllers, the plastic enclosures are weatherproof as well just like the plastic enclosures that your cable or telecom company uses on the side of your house. The metal enclosures of the Showtime controllers is one of the requirements that was needed for LOR to apply for UL rating for that line. This is probably only an issue if your display is part of a business (or government) that has liability insurance that requires only the use of UL rated products. Dan has said though that all of the controllers are built with safety in mind.

Guest Don Gillespie

Welcome aboard I have two of the 1602W controllers and the others are all CTB16pc it really doesn't matter what you go with as long as you are happy with it, the difference is the box they come in the 1602W has a metal case as the CTB16pc is a pvc case you don't mention where you live be it the north the south, or a different country, there might be someone in the area that could help you out and show you some of their controllers. good luck