Light-O-Rama Forums

Still on display?

Scott T

I assume you meant North EAST...as opposed to the North WEST (Seattle).

Had all my stuff down New Years Day...

took advantage of a sunny day...

and like testraub, working on next years stuff...welding, sequencing, ordering...spending my retirement money... :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doug petschke

• wallleyes

• rgardner518

• Jim Saul

jimswinder
wrote ...spending my retirement money... :)

I am spending my retirement money, my wife's retirement money, and any other's I can get.

Still have my 6' trees. temp fence (net lights) Snowman that I used spikes to secure and now is froozen until the ground thaws. Everything is under 3 feet of snow.

Never had this much snow and normally have everything taken down first 2 weeks,

All lights and lighting elements were removed the weekend of Jan 8 and 9. Spent a good part of Jan 9 with a crowbar carefully removing extension cords from ice but I got them out. All that remains is posts and stakes that were used as infrastructure to hold up/down elements in the display. That stuff will stay there till the ground thaws.

Evrything put away first week in January and stored neatly for a change.Spending my retirement money and double dipping to spend more of my childrens inheritance :P They can have a yard sale when I leave and recover there money:P:D

This was about 2 weeks ago, now you can only see the head of the tall wiseman and the point of the other one's hat.

At this point I'm planning on a July 4th tear-down party :P

Attached files 236924=12929-P1140007 (2).jpg

Its nice to know I'm not the ONLY one with sh!t still buried! I don't know whats worst. Snow, or Ice, or Both combined?

Jim Saul wrote:

This was about 2 weeks ago, now you can only see the head of the tall wiseman and the point of the other one's hat.

At this point I'm planning on a July 4th tear-down party :P

Wow, a little photo shop, and it could look like a sand storm instead.

Melvin Stoddard wrote:

jimswinder
wrote ...spending my retirement money... :P

I am spending my retirement money, my wife's retirement money, and any other's I can get.

money???? whats that? I now have no money to spend! since we built the new house we have been strapped and my wife wont get a second job PHHHHT!

I am taking donations!!!

I was successful at not only putting everything away this year, but also getting all of the wiring and cords off the ground and put away, for the first time ever! I did this during a 52 degree warm spell on 12/31 and 1/1, which were the first 2 days of takedown.

In the past we have always had frozen ground, so I would get everything up, save all the cords, and deal with those after the snow melt in late March.

It felt so great to have all that behind me, it really charged my batteries, so I was able to subsequently sequence 3 new songs (with one more coming), and work on taking our display to a new level this year, focusing on video and DMX.

Greg

wallleyes wrote:

I have about 90% taken down.Sequencing songs for this year already :) Will be going up to 320 channels and more lights.Bought 17,500 led lights.

Can I ask ....

17,500 new LEDs lights ... where are you buying them or are you just spending a LOT of money. :D

At the prices I am paying I am lucky to get a few thousand.

Dave

csf wrote:

I ran to Jan 9th and every thing is burred under ice and snow, every thing has been under snow since DEC 27th. I think until the year the latest any of the display was up was Jan 20th. With the way we keep getting snow I have no idea when I will be able to take the things in.

I am in the same boat as a lot of you ... burried in snow.

Being a newbie ... should I be concerned with some of the lights being damaged or will they usually dry out ok !?

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Dave,

The cheap LED sets (one with replaceable bulbs) usually last me 2-3 seasons before the steel leads rust, but the incandescent ones are usually fine.

your larger threat comes from rabbits and squirrels chewing wires and stealing bulbs.

-Jim

RaceMedic wrote:

wallleyes wrote:
I have about 90% taken down.Sequencing songs for this year already :) Will be going up to 320 channels and more lights.Bought 17,500 led lights.

Can I ask ....

17,500 new LEDs lights ... where are you buying them or are you just spending a LOT of money. :D

At the prices I am paying I am lucky to get a few thousand.

Dave

I bought from MITS this year.My kids are all grown and out of the house now.I get to spend it on me now :) Well most of it anyways.

Jim Saul wrote:

Hey Dave,

The cheap LED sets (one with replaceable bulbs) usually last me 2-3 seasons before the steel leads rust, but the incandescent ones are usually fine.

your larger threat comes from rabbits and squirrels chewing wires and stealing bulbs.

-Jim

I bought a live animal trap and have caught 5 bunnies and 7 squirrels.There is no more fresh animal tracks in my yard.Tried to chase them away with the bb gun....all they did was run and laugh at me.I relocated them 30 miles away at work :D

wallleyes wrote:

.Tried to chase them away with the bb gun....all they did was run and laugh at me.

come on, it is so much fun with a spring loaded red rider that acording to the manual is acuratre within 2 inches at 16 feet ......

Jim Saul wrote:

wallleyes wrote:
.Tried to chase them away with the bb gun....all they did was run and laugh at me.

come on, it is so much fun with a spring loaded red rider that acording to the manual is acuratre within 2 inches at 16 feet ......

You'll shoot your eye out with that thing.

well this weekends was going to be the first chance to start taking down my lights but not gonna happen. my wife had a heart attack and we are spending quality time at the hospital. loos like no new controllers again this year . Glad shes doing better now.

Scott T wrote:

Has anyone been able to remove any of their display up north?

I ran until Jan 3. Jan 1st and 2nd was my only chance. Now we are buried.

More wear and tare that I would prefer. :X

Mine is still right where I put it in October & now buried & also encrusted in ice.

And every day I find another piece that may have gotten damaged from the longer exposer! I'm so NOT HAPPY!