Light-O-Rama Forums

Fingers Hurt with all of the zip ties I've been installing!

Jay Czerwinski

Tim Fischer wrote:

Well yeah, that's a brand new one! These things are built like tanks so a used one works great.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GaryMartin

• Tim Fischer

• beeiilll

• Mike Manzara

Tim Fischer wrote:

I was seeing 150-225 for a new on from online vendors, depending on exact model. I figured 60 bucks was a good deal.

The seller that was dvertising mine has 4 left, ranging in price from 75-95 bucks. From his descriptions, they all seem to be fairly new, so he might just be testing to see where the best price point is.

I bought a gun...used it two or three times before I gave up on it.

Found it faster to put the zip tie on by hand rather than loading the gun with a zip tie every time.

jimswinder wrote:

Found it faster to put the zip tie on by hand rather than loading the gun with a zip tie every time.

Eh? You don't "load" the gun with a zip tie? Maybe we're talking about two different things here.

GaryMartin wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

Eh? You don't "load" the gun with a zip tie? Maybe we're talking about two different things here.

My assumption/understanding is that all the gun does is pull the (installed) zip tie tight, and then cut it. It does not, install it...though, THAT would have me buying one without hesitation.

Jim..do you recall a model number on yours?

DonFL wrote:

My assumption/understanding is that all the gun does is pull the (installed) zip tie tight, and then cut it. It does not, install it...though, THAT would have me buying one without hesitation.

You assumed correct Don...had to "feed" the installed zip tie into the gun just to pull it tight and cut it...

will have to check the model number, but I think it was one of the Harbor Freight ones...

jimswinder wrote:

DonFL wrote:

You assumed correct Don...had to "feed" the installed zip tie into the gun just to pull it tight and cut it...

will have to check the model number, but I think it was one of the Harbor Freight ones...

Ahh, these Panduit guns, you don't have to "feed" the zip tie into the gun. One side of it's mech is open so you can just slide it over the zip tie. Maybe we need to put some video together so people can see why these multi hundred buck tools are worthwhile. :P

It honestly sounds pretty intuitive to me..:P

The only down side is, by the time I get it, I'll be done with any tyrap work.

Damn..I guess that means I need to add more lights so I can test the gun....:D:D:D

GaryMartin wrote:

Maybe we need to put some video together so people can see why these multi hundred buck tools are worthwhile. :D

Multi Hundred bucks can buy a controller and some more LED's...

I'll take the tired fingers...I can always grow some new ones... :P

I have a metal one, which I purchased for around $40. Not only does it save your fingers, it saves considerable time!

Once you have the zip tie on, slide the gun over the end of the tie, and squeeze the trigger. It tightens the tie (you adjust the amount of tension you will be using based on the size and capacity of the ties being used with a rotating adjustment knob).

It's hard to believe folks would skimp on spending $40 when they are installing hundreds (or more) of zip ties, especially considering the time savings....

I think once folks try one, they will never go back to the manual route!

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

I have a metal one, which I purchased for around $40. Not only does it save your fingers, it saves considerable time!

Once you have the zip tie on, slide the gun over the end of the tie, and squeeze the trigger. It tightens the tie (you adjust the amount of tension you will be using based on the size and capacity of the ties being used with a rotating adjustment knob).

It's hard to believe folks would skimp on spending $40 when they are installing hundreds (or more) of zip ties, especially considering the time savings....

Greg

I guess some folk just don't get it and don't want to Greg. :)

I did three color on all of my C7 and C9 runs, custom fit to the house. I went through so many zip ties I can't recall. Without the gun it's worn out fingers and SHARP ends where you cut the ties with dikes or scissors.

Greg Young wrote:

Greg

Greg,

Do you have recommendation for one in the $40 price range?

Otherwise I'll probably try to find a used one for $65 as noted above. But at this point I might as well wait until next year or at least until I come up with a build that uses a lot of zip ties. I'm assuming my little side cutters is still an ok way to take them apart ;)

GaryMartin wrote:

and SHARP ends where you cut the ties with dikes or scissors.

Yes that IS a problem. Some of my wiring harnesses are sharp enough to require gloves to be handled safely. On the other hand, maybe I can consider it an "anti-theft/anti-vandal" provision ;)

GaryMartin wrote:

Greg Young wrote:

I guess some folk just don't get it and don't want to Greg. ;)

I agree with you Greg and Gary.

That's why I made the first reply to the OP comments.

I don't care if I'm doing 10 or a 100 zipties. Until you've used a GOOD one, you can't imagine what you're missing. One of the best $100 I've ever spent on this hobby about 4 years ago.

I bought mine at Uline.com. They carry two models. One for over $100 and the one I bought for $17.00 plus shipping. Worked out to $24.00. I have used the Panduit ones in my former job and what makes them so expensive is they will tighten the tie strap to Military Specification. Check out Uline.Com

Mike Manzara wrote:

I bought mine at Uline.com. They carry two models. One for over $100 and the one I bought for $17.00 plus shipping. Worked out to $24.00. I have used the Panduit ones in my former job and what makes them so expensive is they will tighten the tie strap to Military Specification. Check out Uline.Com

So, having using the "good" ones, you still think the Uline is worth buying? Or should we just spring for the best? ;)

Well, beacuse I am almost done with my display this year, and because the local stores don't seem to stock this item, I chose to hold off.

I want to be done before the tool could arrive in the mail. But I will get one for the next holiday -- I'm not waiting for Christmas or Halloween, but any other holdiay will get a display in my windows...

Anyway, while researching tools and reading your posts, I was suprised to see that people were saying you have to connect the tie first and the tool only tightens and cuts it. (I guess that is the finger hurting part anyway) But this was the first tool I googled and I thought it was totally automatic. This one is! (or appears to be!)

The Uline is definitely worth buying. I have used it this year for over 2000 tie straps. It is made of metal has a good serrrated cam to grip the strap and there is a tension setting. The only thing I found was not to use those cheap straps. I get my straps at an electrical supply house by the 1000's

Jay Czerwinski wrote:

Well, beacuse I am almost done with my display this year, and because the local stores don't seem to stock this item, I chose to hold off.

I want to be done before the tool could arrive in the mail. But I will get one for the next holiday -- I'm not waiting for Christmas or Halloween, but any other holdiay will get a display in my windows...

Anyway, while researching tools and reading your posts, I was suprised to see that people were saying you have to connect the tie first and the tool only tightens and cuts it. (I guess that is the finger hurting part anyway) But this was the first tool I googled and I thought it was totally automatic. This one is! (or appears to be!)

very cool...and would be a real help..but..take a look at the cut sheet and tell me if you think it might be a mite more expensive than the other tool we've been discussing..:D

And yes, as I understand it, the hand tool purely tightens and cuts.

And mine is on the way...just in time for next year..:)

Attached files 102083.pdf