Light-O-Rama Forums

Fingers Hurt with all of the zip ties I've been installing!

Jay Czerwinski

I'm late getting my first Christmas display in place and have been doing the mad rush to get something running tonight. But in the last days the real slow down has been my fingers in pain.

On my Halloween run my girlfriend's and my fingers began to fall apart in pain! Well, blisters anyway followed by weeks of tender healing skin after...

What is your technique or suggestion? Thank you in advance -- I'm also prepared for the silly responses like - "Plan your time to setup better!!" Ha!

Thanks again!

Jay

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GaryMartin

• Tim Fischer

• beeiilll

• Mike Manzara

WOW! I bet my silly butt that that tool is even for sale right next to the zip ties I bought in Home Depot! I never imagined that even exists!!

Well, 1,500 zip ties in to my project now. Think I'll take a break and rest my fingers, watch the mid-day football games, and then head to the store for this magical device!!

So happy I asked what I thought was a dumb question!! THANK YOU!!!

Well the 2 easiest ways to avoid the sore fingers are:

1. Don't put anything up at all. No pain, no fuss, no problems at all !!

or

2. In two words - "Child Labor". Find unspecting kids to do all those nasty zip ties. As an added bonus - their fingers willl hurt so much they won't be able to mess with your display!

Actually I have a 3 Panduit tie wrap guns myself. Been using them since the 70's when I was in the electronics business. Now I use them for helping keep panel boxes neat when doing house installations and my own projects as well.

Just make sure you get a fairly good one. Junk guns will hurt your hands worse in the long run than no gun at all (and make you swear a lot too).

Best Wishes for a Happy Holiday Season.

Bill

Plyers work well too!

I have no feelings in the tips of my pointers or thumbs from another project and could not pull the zip ties so I used plyers.

beeiilll wrote:

Actually I have a 3 Panduit tie wrap guns myself. Been using them since the 70's when I was in the electronics business. Now I use them for helping keep panel boxes neat when doing house installations and my own projects as well.

Just make sure you get a fairly good one. Junk guns will hurt your hands worse in the long run than no gun at all (and make you swear a lot too).

Best Wishes for a Happy Holiday Season.

Bill

Here's another recommendation for the Panduit ziptie gun. That thing is a joy to use and it makes assembly very fast. (and one handed for the most part)

I really need to get one of these as well. For years I've been pulling them tight by hand and cutting them off with a small side-cutters.

Tim Fischer wrote:

I really need to get one of these as well. For years I've been pulling them tight by hand and cutting them off with a small side-cutters.

Here ya go Tim!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Panduit-GTS-GS2B-tension-tie-down-straps-gun-/250720004322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6013a8e2

DonFL wrote:

I struggle with even 60 bucks for a tool that just pulls them, and cuts.

Now if it magically wrapped the tywrap for me, then I'm interested..:D

You have to use one to appreciate it. :D Get the ziptie tip into the socket. Then this guy takes over, pulling the rest of the zip through while you use it one-handed, cinches it up, cuts it.

Until you use one, it's hard to understand the appeal. When you're doing hundreds of zipties, this thing really cranks.

I have over 1400 mini lights ties down flat to the wire on my roof. Used my gun to do it. And I still have fingers....

Attached files 226730=12514-IMG_4442.JPG

GaryMartin wrote:

DonFL wrote:

You have to use one to appreciate it. :D Get the ziptie tip into the socket. Then this guy takes over, pulling the rest of the zip through while you use it one-handed, cinches it up, cuts it.

Until you use one, it's hard to understand the appeal. When you're doing hundreds of zipties, this thing really cranks.

Ok, call it an impulse buy..the ebay price was pretty good. And in the midst of a little google research, found a couple good wire management websites...cableorganizer.com, and stsi.com..

DonFL wrote:

Yeah, I have to say that's a bit more expensive than I was envisioning. I'm sure it's awesome though...

Is there any middle ground between the $7 HF one that people say doesn't work at all, and the $60 one that remembers your anniversary and sends your wife flowers on your behalf? :D

Tim Fischer wrote:

DonFL wrote:

Yeah, I have to say that's a bit more expensive than I was envisioning. I'm sure it's awesome though...

Is there any middle ground between the $7 HF one that people say doesn't work at all, and the $60 one that remembers your anniversary and sends your wife flowers on your behalf? :)

Not that I know of Tim. But let me put it this way, if my current one breaks or gets lost/stolen, I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Heck, I would skip buying LIGHTS and buy one of them again! :D