Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT Electrical Wire

sparky22

gizmomkr wrote:

I saw mention of 3000 feet of cord....

If you have elements that are close together, (and you understand electricity) I would consider sharing a Neutral / Common wire. A good example is an arch or a mini tree.

I have 7 strings of lighs on my arch, but am only feeding it with 4 pairs of SPT.

a comon wire can run from the controller to one conductor of each light set - This wire can be shared by multiple devices.

You just need to be carefull not to exceed the capacity of the wire between all the light sets.

I 've got stretches of mini trees, and common neutral may be the way to save some cord. Had given it some thought, not much, need to revisit the idea and see how much I can save. I'm doing 3 colors per mini, off the top of my (just waking up..) head, thinking a common neutral per color.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sparky22

• Surfing4Dough

• RaceMedic

• Terry Hurrle

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Just light your light strings, "clean" rainwater doesn't typically cause such a problem. Taping typically will just trap water in rather than keep it out. "Dirty" water (such as water that has mixed with dirt from the ground, and fertilizer from your grass--typically a puddle) is what can cause problems with GFCIs. Water in and of itself is typically not very conductive, but when chemicals mix with it, then it is. That is why most find success if they try to keep their plugs off the ground, so they aren't laying in water on the ground. Can be as simple as setting the plug on a small rock rather than on the dirt.

That is what I had heard and what I had thought also ... just confirms for me !

Thanks !

Dave

John (oldandslow) wrote:

The wire was bought in the store. They had several kinds of wire and other electrical stuff on two tables. The Lowes store is on Fruitville road in Sarasota.

I just got the same deal here in Kansas city. Bought 2-250' rolls for 18.46 each at Lowes.