Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT Electrical Wire

sparky22

ok this seems like a stupid question but you never know unless you ask, right? are you guys using this wire to replace the huge number of extension cords? i am new to light o rama and this will be my first year, starting small with 16 channels but even then the cost of extension cords is going to be a little pricey. is it possible to to make my own?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sparky22

• Surfing4Dough

• RaceMedic

• Terry Hurrle

kissfan4 wrote:

ok this seems like a stupid question but you never know unless you ask, right? are you guys using this wire to replace the huge number of extension cords? i am new to light o rama and this will be my first year, starting small with 16 channels but even then the cost of extension cords is going to be a little pricey. is it possible to to make my own?

That is exactly what a lot of people do ... including myself ... this is my first year with LOR also.

I have already learned the hard way ... order a LOT more vampire plugs than you think you will need ... I had to order a 2nd order of them as I figured I would run out.

Dave

kissfan4 wrote:

Never hesitate to ask "stupid" questions around here--we are all continuing to learn, and if you have the question, probably 10 others here do too. Plus simple questions are ones I can answer...sometimes! :)

This might help you with how to make cords:
http://www.landolights.com/main/content/view/77/39/

Here is a page that shows the various parts options all on one page (show around since prices vary--though I got my plugs here, and cord elsewhere):
http://christmaslightshow.com/home.php?cat=29

John (oldandslow) wrote:

You might want to check out Lowes. I just bought two 250 spools of SPT 1 for 18.82. They are clearancing them out. Action lighting has SPT 1 plugs 8.75 per bag of 12.

You are lucky to have found that. I checked two local Lowes stores and the cheapest I found SPT1 wire in a 250 foot spool was $39. I asked someone in the electrical department at both stores about the wire going on sale and they both said they have never seen it any lower than it is now. The tag did say lowest price also. Of course, things are often always more expensive in the bay area.

www.noveltylights.com has great prices on SPT1 and SPT2, they also sell the ends. I have order thousands of feet with no problems.

If I have 6 windows with LEDs, in this example for your use, are you running each of the 6 plugs to a single connector, then runing it to the controler? I'm looking at 4 strans each window and I found a multi-plug connector that stakes in the ground I can plug all the window lights into.

Does SPT1 have a ground?

timmy wrote:

I just bought 1250' with 30 male and 30 female ends from christmaslightshow.com shipped for $199. Of course this is in the states so I do not know how much it would be to you. This is the best price I could find. That is just under 16 cents a foot. They have extremely fast shipping also, which is a plus this close to the season. Good luck. I hope you get some soon.

Homedepot on sale, now!

Male Plugs:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xqw/R-100652709/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Female Plugs:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xqw/R-100652717/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

pokrplr wrote:

timmy wrote:
I just bought 1250' with 30 male and 30 female ends from christmaslightshow.com shipped for $199. Of course this is in the states so I do not know how much it would be to you. This is the best price I could find. That is just under 16 cents a foot. They have extremely fast shipping also, which is a plus this close to the season. Good luck. I hope you get some soon.

Homedepot on sale, now!

Male Plugs:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xqw/R-100652709/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Female Plugs:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xqw/R-100652717/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Great deal for SPT1 ends. This deal was available last year, and they sold out quick. This will be the best price you will find.

Unfortunately, I use SPT2

You can't use spt1 plugs on spt2 wire? From my understanding, the difference between spt1 and spt2 is .015 of an inch thicker insulation around the wire. Are the plugs that tight of a tolerance that you can't mix and match?

I have all SPT3 in my display as I ordered from CDI but I did just pick up some more wire and I bought SPT1 this time. Will I be able to use my surplus of SPT3 plugs on this wire?

The 250 ft spools are sold as full spools only and the name is CCI or Coleman cable inc. The regular price was $40.00 and I paid $18.42. The label is 18/2 SPT1. The item # is 244441, Model 60000-S4-19. I bought it at the Sarasota Lowes in Florida. I hope this helps you in finding some.

On the topic of plugs and wire ... can I ask .... what do people do with the female plug at the end of a string to avoid water getting into them ... do you tape over them with electrical tape or simply just make sure they are hanging downwards.

I just don't want to start popping my GFIs.

Dave

John (oldandslow) wrote:

The 250 ft spools are sold as full spools only and the name is CCI or Coleman cable inc. The regular price was $40.00 and I paid $18.42. The label is 18/2 SPT1. The item # is 244441, Model 60000-S4-19. I bought it at the Sarasota Lowes in Florida. I hope this helps you in finding some.

What color?

I searched the Lowes website, did not find it.

Sounding like more close out stuff...

The wire was bought in the store. They had several kinds of wire and other electrical stuff on two tables. The Lowes store is on Fruitville road in Sarasota.

RaceMedic wrote:

On the topic of plugs and wire ... can I ask .... what do people do with the female plug at the end of a string to avoid water getting into them ... do you tape over them with electrical tape or simply just make sure they are hanging downwards.

I just don't want to start popping my GFIs.

Dave

Just light your light strings, "clean" rainwater doesn't typically cause such a problem. Taping typically will just trap water in rather than keep it out. "Dirty" water (such as water that has mixed with dirt from the ground, and fertilizer from your grass--typically a puddle) is what can cause problems with GFCIs. Water in and of itself is typically not very conductive, but when chemicals mix with it, then it is. That is why most find success if they try to keep their plugs off the ground, so they aren't laying in water on the ground. Can be as simple as setting the plug on a small rock rather than on the dirt.

I saw mention of 3000 feet of cord....

If you have elements that are close together, (and you understand electricity) I would consider sharing a Neutral / Common wire. A good example is an arch or a mini tree.

I have 7 strings of lighs on my arch, but am only feeding it with 4 pairs of SPT.

a comon wire can run from the controller to one conductor of each light set - This wire can be shared by multiple devices.

You just need to be carefull not to exceed the capacity of the wire between all the light sets.