Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobe Lights

jfrisina04

Okay thanks for the tip on the pump...I will readjust the timer and see what happens...I just shocked it and put a gallon of algecide in so, the pool is clean right now, but I will bump up the time in which the pump runs. I think the blue plaster may be attracting more heat too..

Sorry to highjack the thread...:)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KenL_MCSE

• Surfing4Dough

• Aproct

• TJ Hvasta

Aproct wrote:

Okay thanks for the tip on the pump...I will readjust the timer and see what happens...I just shocked it and put a gallon of algecide in so, the pool is clean right now, but I will bump up the time in which the pump runs. I think the blue plaster may be attracting more heat too..

Sorry to highjack the thread...:)

The place I've been getting chemicals (other than chlorine) says the best algecide is more chlorine; they sell the algecide to those people who don't believe them. It's been working for me (along with running my pump)

LOL...I ususally don't use an algecide till I close the pool...at $3 for a gallon, can't hurt anything...I try not to run too much chlorine since I have a Nature2 canister and usually does really good...Oh welll...

you could always do it the way you clean a fish tank

start draining

By the way PH Down at BJ's Wholesale club is $5.99 for 15 pounds - AKA - Arm and Hammer Baking Soda - sure beats the $35 at the pool store

KenL_MCSE wrote:

you could always do it the way you clean a fish tank

start draining

By the way PH Down at BJ's Wholesale club is $5.99 for 15 pounds - AKA - Arm and Hammer Baking Soda - sure beats the $35 at the pool store

I think it depends on which BJ's you go to; it was $6.99 when I bought it there in Cary, NC. Good for the laundry as well.

• 2 weeks later...

um, dont mean ta hijack this thread 'mates, but WoWLights is running a sale on it's 3-4/sec strobes, now $6/ea.. I know, 'tis naught much o' a sale as sales go, bu' still.. .99 off be .99 more ta spend on other LOR stuff.. I ordered 10 o' them..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

um, dont mean ta hijack this thread 'mates, but WoWLights is running a sale on it's 3-4/sec strobes, now $6/ea.. I know, 'tis naught much o' a sale as sales go, bu' still.. .99 off be .99 more ta spend on other LOR stuff.. I ordered 10 o' them..

Action lighting has them for about $4.75 a piece, a case of 12 for $56 and change. They also have rope lighting at pretty good prices....

http://actionlighting.com/items.asp?MainCategory=Incandescent+Bulbs+%26+Strobes&Sub=Strobes+%26+Beacons

Jack Stevens wrote:

Aproct wrote:

Sorry to highjack the thread...:P

The place I've been getting chemicals (other than chlorine) says the best algecide is more chlorine; they sell the algecide to those people who don't believe them. It's been working for me (along with running my pump)

Throw a pound or two of shock in the pool each week, and that should do you well.

I got a new filtration system this year, and with it a new chlorinator. Previously, I used to put the chlorine tablets in the basket. Unfortunately, I've forgotten about the chlorinator a few times, and it competely emptied out...which usually means a lot more time spent getting the pool back to normal.

BTW...I've been running my filter 16 hours a day from 5am to 9pm to cover the daylight hours and that seems to be working well...except for that whole chlorine issue!!!

KenL_MCSE wrote:

so that means while each Incandescent stobe draws .0545 amps. Which if I am calculating right means you can put 275 on a 15 circuit???

I did 6 watts / 110 volts = .0545

15amps / .0545 for 275 stobes

Thats insane! - I won't even have 30 stobes this year

http://www.powerstream.com/Amps-Watts.htm

In theory, yes, as long as you don't have any other lights on that circuit. Even then, chances are not all 275 would be lit at one time (I challange you to calculate the odds on that happening though!!!). I think 275 strobes would be a little much for most people's minds to handle!

Surfing4Dough wrote:

This is what is commonly used:
http://christmaslightshow.com/product.php?productid=54&cat=11&page=1

C9 type strobes:t-54-14-01.jpeg

attached to something like these (as many as you want):

c9_socker_wire_5_pack_med-01.jpg

on the web site it says they aren't waterproof but can with stand some weather, so it snows, a lot in chicago. Does anyone have these that lives where it snows a lot?

pokrplr wrote:

Whats shown above is a 25ft SPT2. Its what I am using this year as a newbie. You just snap the sockets in place. I think most people use 5 sockets per 25 ft. Was a piece of cake and they are spread out nicely!

How do you use spt2? Do you have to cut it and strip the wires, and re connect it out the other end of the socket?

crabtreechristmas wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
This is what is commonly used:
http://christmaslightshow.com/product.php?productid=54&cat=11&page=1

C9 type strobes:t-54-14-01.jpeg

attached to something like these (as many as you want):

on the web site it says they aren't waterproof but can with stand some weather, so it snows, a lot in chicago. Does anyone have these that lives where it snows a lot?

I live on the edge of the snowbelt off Lake Erie, so we get a decent amount of snow, wind, rain, etc. The strobes do well. I believe that they actually do submerge test them, so water exposure isn't the problem. Condensation is more of an issue, in any climate. Therefore, it is recommended that you drill/melt a hole in the end that will be pointed down in order to let the condensation escape.

crabtreechristmas wrote:

pokrplr wrote:
Whats shown above is a 25ft SPT2. Its what I am using this year as a newbie. You just snap the sockets in place. I think most people use 5 sockets per 25 ft. Was a piece of cake and they are spread out nicely!

How do you use spt2? Do you have to cut it and strip the wires, and re connect it out the other end of the socket?

The light sockets just clamp onto the wire (teeth in the socket penetrate the insulation thus making a connection to the wire). The male/female ends do the same was well.

I just receieved my box of 10 strobes from ChristmasLightShow.com ($6/ea), WAHOOO!! but realized they're C9's... raaaaatfarts.. I only have an old C7 set.. guess I have to order C9 sockets from them too ($4/ea for 10 + shipping).. I can order either for SPT1 or 2, but what is the difference? SPT1 is smaller gauge than 2? 14gauge vs 16, etc? I think Home Depot has a couple sizes of zipcord but it's a lot for their spools.. I'm guessing it's better to order the correct line from some light supplier..

Surfing4Dough wrote:

crabtreechristmas wrote:
pokrplr wrote:

The light sockets just clamp onto the wire (teeth in the socket penetrate the insulation thus making a connection to the wire).  The male/female ends do the same was well. 

That's convenient , I'll have to try it.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

I just receieved my box of 10 strobes from ChristmasLightShow.com ($6/ea), WAHOOO!! but realized they're C9's... raaaaatfarts.. I only have an old C7 set.. guess I have to order C9 sockets from them too ($4/ea for 10 + shipping).. I can order either for SPT1 or 2, but what is the difference? SPT1 is smaller gauge than 2? 14gauge vs 16, etc? I think Home Depot has a couple sizes of zipcord but it's a lot for their spools.. I'm guessing it's better to order the correct line from some light supplier..

SPT1 or 2 will work fine with these strobes. 20 strobes = 1 amp

I prefer SPT1 because it is easier to work with, lighter and more flexible.

Glenn

• 1 month later...

bump..

Ok, 'found two 25 socket, C9 strings at Goodwill for $2/ea, pulled off several sockets leaving 7 on each, but now I need to get 10 more strobes.. AL looks like it's "E-17 base tower strobes" (if those are C9's) are out-of-stock.. CLS strobes are $6.99/ea again.. anyone know where I can find 3-4fps curtain strobes for less than $7/ea?

TJ Hvasta wrote:

bump..

Ok, 'found two 25 socket, C9 strings at Goodwill for $2/ea, pulled off several sockets leaving 7 on each, but now I need to get 10 more strobes.. AL looks like it's "E-17 base tower strobes" (if those are C9's) are out-of-stock.. CLS strobes are $6.99/ea again.. anyone know where I can find 3-4fps curtain strobes for less than $7/ea?

I thought CLS usually ran a sale starting around now, and I thought a few months ago I read that Daryll (CLS) said that he was going to again. Might shoot him an email.