Light-O-Rama Forums

Age Limit?

shfr26

Uh-oh...

Looks like someone is gonna have to pry that award away from GaryBo... I hope the old fart doesn't put up too much of a fight...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shfr26

• jimswinder

• Surfing4Dough

• George Simmons

George Simmons wrote:

Uh-oh...

Looks like someone is gonna have to pry that award away from GaryBo... I hope the old fart doesn't put up too much of a fight...
George,

"I'm not as good as I once "was", but I am as good once as I ever "was"."

They'll have to pry that award out of my cold dead hands.

Whoever won the award can keep it, no problem here. I"m just having fun building mini mega trees, leaping arches and a star for christmas 2010. Last year for christmas 2009 I only had 32 channels. Now I'm going to go up to 160 channels. Last year someone( I really don't know the guy) recorded my display and put it up on youtube. I just happened to bump into it on youtube. I would put a link to it, but I don't know how to do it. If you search "dancing lights Jamestown" it should bring it up. Song was wizard TSO. It was my first time doing it. This old fart had a great time doing it. Hope I'm still around to do it again, lol. My 69th birthday is in a few days.

I'm 17, but started when I was 13. And I've even bought all my own lights + controllers, if that adds any value.

Richard M wrote:

Whoever won the award can keep it, no problem here. I"m just having fun building mini mega trees, leaping arches and a star for christmas 2010. Last year for christmas 2009 I only had 32 channels. Now I'm going to go up to 160 channels. Last year someone( I really don't know the guy) recorded my display and put it up on youtube. I just happened to bump into it on youtube. I would put a link to it, but I don't know how to do it. If you search "dancing lights Jamestown" it should bring it up. Song was wizard TSO. It was my first time doing it. This old fart had a great time doing it. Hope I'm still around to do it again, lol. My 69th birthday is in a few days.

Early Happy Birthday and welcome to the LOR forums.

Attached files 205432=11422-LOR-older-fart-certificate.jpg

Alas, I have been "de-throned", usurped, defeated, kicked out, etc,
I reluctantly yield.

Welcome Richard, and Happy Birthday, you have me beat, by about a year and a half,
I will be 68 in December (appropriate).

This forum is fantastic and we have a lot of fun, as you can see.
I think most of us are "chomping" at the bit to get started for Christmas,
and we come up with inane ideas to pass our time.

GaryBo wrote:

Alas, I have been "de-throned", usurped, defeated, kicked out, etc,
I reluctantly yield.

Welcome Richard, and Happy Birthday, you have me beat, by about a year and a half,
I will be 68 in December (appropriate).

This forum is fantastic and we have a lot of fun, as you can see.
I think most of us are "chomping" at the bit to get started for Christmas,
and we come up with inane ideas to pass our time.

Don't worry Gary, I don't think the kid at McDonalds will know that you are no longer "Official." Therefore you can probably still present your certificate for your free coffee.

Thank you members of LOR forums for the old fart acknowlegment. You are all a great group and I am proud to be a part of it. Thank you, thank you.

Right now I'm building an 8ft mini megatree out of an I V (intravenous) pole and PVC pipe. How's that for an old fart with limited skills? 3200 lights, 1600 red and 1600 clear . Old farts use what is handy. I thought that would give you guys a laugh.

Thanks again!

Richard M wrote:

Right now I'm building an 8ft mini megatree out of an I V (intravenous) pole...

Talk about being an optimist... most old farts would figure on probably needing that IV stand for its intended purpose in the not-so-distant future...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be 45 in a couple weeks. I received my 2000 led's and my high powered colored leds this week. I've been busy this week getting them wired up, still got a long ways to. Took off early from work today to work on my lights, but we got some heavy rain today and helped my neighbors do some sandbagging.

Im 30 - Started 2 years ago. I probably would have started much sooner, but (and I would LOVE to know if there are more out there) Funny enough, Im Jewish.

I couldnt really do much with a menorah, so it took a while to get into Holiday lighting.

I had always been a fan of DMX lighting however and grew up running ETC consoles in the drama program. I always knew I wanted to sync lights to music, but even the old Insight 2x console required an Add on for SMPTE Time code or MIDI in/out.

LOR was the first product I saw that really offered a TOTAL page with a good price point.

I tink one of the reasons LOR is so widely used is the availability of Total Turn-key starter packs all the way down to build-you-own kits for the mad scientist. I think it really helps spread the appeal to young and old.

I'm less than 6 months from getting my AARP card and hitting half a century old. My sense is, statistically, I fall somewhere around the median age of those doing LOR type stuff.

Ok, I gotta ask.. How many started doing this when you got to be.. oh.. 50-ish? I know a lot have been doing nice displays since you could afford to, but can getting into LOR be catagorized as a mid-life crisis thing? Kids are gone, means less things to spend $$ on (freeing up disposible cash).. I know it sounds silly, and there are other avenues for the 'escapism" (like my crotchrocket and cruiser motorcycles, but I wont go there), but with the age polls here, and seems the most answers are right close to 50-ish, is it more than just a coincidence? Might make a good college Pysch paper topic, huh? :D

TJ

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Might make a good college Pysch paper topic, huh?    ;)

TJ

You mean, Physiological Disorders?;)