Light-O-Rama Forums

Upgrade to S5?

Boater227

I have a network composed of 100% CCR-IIs with a Pixie 16 and Pixie 2.  Will likely expand to additional CCPs this year.  Using S4 software right now.

Should I upgrade to S5?  Are the bugs out yet?

Thanks.

I have been running S5 for about 4 days now.

On the first day I found a bug/limitation in the bulb count. You also cannot expand the RGB channels like you could in S4. This will resolved sometime in 2019.

The other thing that I noticed is that you cannot view the fade ramps anymore and this may not be added back.

Overall I think v5.2.2 is a worthy upgrade and I am looking forward to seeing what 2019 adds for it.

I was going to say that every software program (*every*) has a bug somewhere. It's just a matter of when it will be found. (That's my theory, anyway.)

That said, I would consider the current version of S5 to be reliable enough for use. I know of one city display in the Dallas/Fort Area that was using it, and hear they had no software issues.

1 hour ago, gsmith37064 said:

I have been running S5 for about 4 days now.

On the first day I found a bug/limitation in the bulb count. You also cannot expand the RGB channels like you could in S4. This will resolved sometime in 2019.

The other thing that I noticed is that you cannot view the fade ramps anymore and this may not be added back.

Overall I think v5.2.2 is a worthy upgrade and I am looking forward to seeing what 2019 adds for it.

No fade ramps, so how can you tell the fades are added or did they remove fades as well?

JR

Yes... Matt said it's not going to return but it's a feature I currently used in S4. It does look like normal channels have the fade ramps on by default.

It's just the RGB channels that is losing that feature from S4.

Currently the button does not exist in S5 and I do not see a way to view RGB fade ramps.

If I am missing it, please tell me how to enable it. :)

Edited by gsmith37064

33 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Don, they are talking about the ramps.

Ramps.JPG

Yes I want to see the ramps again on my RGB channels in S5. Normal channels you can see just fine... just not RGB.

This makes it hard to tell where a ramp ends exactly and where to start the next one.

As of now there is NO button called "view fades as ramps" in S5. So you kind of guess where the fade ends or starts. It can make the transition to next the color jump a little.

Edited by gsmith37064

17 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Yes I want to see the ramps again on my RGB channels in S5. Normal channels you can see just fine... just not RGB.

This makes it hard to tell where a ramp ends exactly and where to start the next one.

As of now there is NO button called "view fades as ramps" in S5. So you kind of guess where the fade ends or starts. It can make the transition to next the color jump a little.

Could you give an example of what you are talking about? I'm posting pics of RGB fades in S5, and the link below is S4.

[Edit: Added both here]

S4 RGB Fade
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q68v0wkmp2fzjpj/S4-RGB-FadeAsRamps.PNG?dl=0

S5 RGB Fade
https://www.dropbox.com/s/911movv5r4dmxrm/S5-RGB-FadeAsRamps.PNG

Are we talking about the same things?

Edited by Don

Don that is the high level view for RGB.

You cannot tell where exactly the fade ends or stops. If you click the ramp button you would get the triangle ramp view and could see right the dot where the ramp starts or stops.

I don't have any room left to post a pick on here else I would.

Don, I think what they are talking about is the ability to see a ramp display of the three individual colors which S5 does not have.  You can only see the color fade of the RGB combination.  S4 was the same way when looking at an RGB channel set  - it would show the resulting color of the RGB fade - however you could split out the individual channels and see them as ramps.  I also MUCH prefer the ramps for intensity levels over a fade appearance.  This is particularly true for low level stuff.  Almost impossible to see a fade from 3% to 5% when looking at the resulting color 9it just looks black), but fairly easy to see it as ramps.

Greg, and I describing it correctly?

And Greg, the solution for upload space is to upload the photo to a website you either control or have access to and post the link.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

Don, I think what they are talking about is the ability to see a ramp display of the three individual colors which S5 does not have.  You can only see the color fade of the RGB combination.  S4 was the same way when looking at an RGB channel set  - it would show the resulting color of the RGB fade - however you could split out the individual channels and see them as ramps.  I also MUCH prefer the ramps for intensity levels over a fade appearance.  This is particularly true for low level stuff.  Almost impossible to see a fade from 3% to 5% when looking at the resulting color 9it just looks black), but fairly easy to see it as ramps.

Greg, and I describing it correctly?

And Greg, the solution for upload space is to upload the photo to a website you either control or have access to and post the link.

That pretty much sums it up Jim. Thanks.

Matt told me the ramps will not be back. It sounds like I am not the only other person who used them. Maybe they need to bring it back.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

Don, I think what they are talking about

1 minute ago, gsmith37064 said:

Sent the pic to you Don.

Yep... that's what we're talking about.. Okay. I see it now.

@MattBrown - This needs to come back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Don said:

Yep... that's what we're talking about.. Okay. I see it now.

@MattBrown - This needs to come back.

Great.. Glad I raised the concern. Now if enough people request it, maybe we stand a chance of getting it back.

So as of now I bounce from S4 to S5.

Edited by gsmith37064
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

It sounds like I am not the only other person who used them.

I use(d) them to build quick fades when it comes to chases. It was a lot quicker for an RGB or W type chase then using the color picker.

Yes, if I ever move to S5, it needs to be seen. I did learn something from this barrage though, I could see ramps in SE normal view in non RGB lights however my RGB always appeared as the color fade. Until now, I never thought about expanding the RGB and I tried it and see the ramp. I have been sequencing my RGB floods the difficult way when I wanted to get the fades to equal my non RGB stuff.

Now I know

JR