Light-O-Rama Forums

New guy

~DOC~

13 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

Well I did it I should have two crb16pc this week. Yea I know I want the pixels but I need to take baby steps. Hope you all will help me. Just want a moderate display this year. More questions coming once I get them. Oh yes I did decide to go straight to pro on the software. So where do I go to help you out to help me out. I am in so many words happy. But also sick because the money I spent. 

I also bought 1500 more lights to add to my already 5000 plus. Lol

It depends on what your question is about, there are several different sub forums here where you'd ask questions, they've got them set up for just about anything you need to know. 

Sometimes you can use the search option on the forums and it may come up with an answer, sometimes not.  it's a hit and miss. 

But when you know what you want to ask about, try and find the best forum that will match what you're asking, then folks will know a little better how to answer the question{s} you're wanting the answer{s} to.

Also update your profile with the LOR Software Suite and License level you're using, as sometimes many answers depend on that as well.  It'll help us answer your questions correctly as someone still using an older version, like version 3 could possibly be a completely different answer from Version 4, and the newest Version 5 is completely different from any previous versions, so someone that's using Version 5 would be better to answer a question on that one.

One of the best places on the forum for or new user to read in would be the Newbies forum, there is a lot of info in there as well.  Read through the manuals you get, read the forums, search and if you just can't find the answer, ask.  Someone here will provide an answer.

One note on this, right now many are finishing up their Halloween or starting their Christmas displays, or will be after Halloween is over, so answers may not come as quickly as you'd like, just be patient, most of us try to check in here at least 1 or 2 times a week, I try and check in daily when I can, and if I see your question and can help, I'll surely try as will most everyone here.

Welcome to the addiction and my tag line says it all as you learn and keep learning how to do things with the LOR Hardware and Software. LOL

Edited by Orville
Correct some spelling and punctuation errors. I'm only human....or am I? ;)
  • Like 1

Trying to figure what outdoor props to use. I started to sequence some songs. But I am trying to come up with props to utilize all 32 channels. Thought about the mega tree but it uses so many lights / channels and the length of traditional lights is pre determined. With a mega tree that would be it. I am not thinking this is the best use of a small system. Any additional ideas. I thought about small trees along the fence that faces the front yard. There is almost 150 ft. of fence line. Would flat lighted trees look ok observed from a distance?BF49F7B7-990E-421A-886C-8056F141C009.jpeg.71f290fd58767a37c1337a81d15eb1c0.jpeg 

Edited by ~DOC~

There is a lot you can do with the pic you posted.

1. roof outline

2 garage door area

3. porch area, railing and posts.

4. bush/ tree to the left of the house

5. fence line

6. stars or something on roof

7. open front yard for practically anything

Edited by Mr. P

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

There is a lot you can do with the pic you posted.

1. roof outline

2 garage door area

3. porch are

4. bush/ tree to the left of the house

5. fence line

6. stars or something on roof

7. open front yard for practically anything

What I have so far (I should have stated in the first comment)

1. Roof line (1 channel)

2. 4 bushes around house (4 channels)

3. 2 windows, door, garage door (4 channels)

4. 7 mini trees out of tomato cages (7 channels)

5. Maybe stars or 5 ft mini trees at fence?

(maybe 5 channels)

at this point looking for ideas ?

6 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

What I have so far (I should have stated in the first comment)

1. Roof line (1 channel)

2. 4 bushes around house (4 channels)

3. 2 windows, door, garage door (4 channels)

4. 7 mini trees out of tomato cages (7 channels)

5. Maybe stars or 5 ft mini trees at fence?

(maybe 5 channels)

at this point looking for ideas ?

For Ideas try the LOR "Typical Setups".

This will give you a better understanding on using your channels. 

http://www1.lightorama.com/4-x-4-decorating/

Happy Lighting

JR

• Thanks 1

Remember to center feed ( power at the base of a 'T") the 150' fence line to avoid possibly overloading the strings  (if you don't have a multi-outlet extension that drops outlets along the way)

LEDs make overloading more difficult, not impossible :)

150' of straight line anything to work with makes me jealous  (my lot is 60 x110 and 25 of that is driveways).

Happy Lighting. Save your pennies, you obviously NEED more controllers ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Remember to center feed ( power at the base of a 'T") the 150' fence line to avoid possibly overloading the strings  (if you don't have a multi-outlet extension that drops outlets along the way)

LEDs make overloading more difficult, not impossible :)

150' of straight line anything to work with makes me jealous  (my lot is 60 x110 and 25 of that is driveways).

Happy Lighting. Save your pennies, you obviously NEED more controllers ?

I have additional 50 foot on the side you can’t see and it’s about 100 ft to the road. Lots of controllers needed.?

6 hours ago, dibblejr said:

For Ideas try the LOR "Typical Setups".

This will give you a better understanding on using your channels. 

http://www1.lightorama.com/4-x-4-decorating/

Happy Lighting

JR

Must of missed that page when reading through everything

Something I never thought about and don’t recall reading do you have to use all the channels? Say like I only use 12 instead of 16 channels. 

25 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Something I never thought about and don’t recall reading do you have to use all the channels? Say like I only use 12 instead of 16 channels. 

You can use as few or as many as you like. If you don't use them then you just don't sequence them.

18 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

You can use as few or as many as you like. If you don't use them then you just don't sequence them.

So if I do sequence them and I run out of lights to do that prop. Is it still good?

What good is using someone sequences when likely the house, props etc are different from person to person? I can see singing face sequences, just wondering about how useful a whole sequence really is? 

40 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

What good is using someone sequences when likely the house, props etc are different from person to person? I can see singing face sequences, just wondering about how useful a whole sequence really is? 

Extremely useful to both new and experienced users alike.

New- under the pressure trying to learn

You get a doner sequence and fit parts that fit your layout

Experience - not everyone can or has time to sequence for themselves

Even the purchased sequences are not set for a specific individual display

JR

17 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Extremely useful to both new and experienced users alike.

New- under the pressure trying to learn

You get a doner sequence and fit parts that fit your layout

Experience - not everyone can or has time to sequence for themselves

Even the purchased sequences are not set for a specific individual display

JR

Exactly as JR stated.  If folks hadn't shared sequences when I started, I may still be figuring out to make things work.  having a sequence to look at, follow and copy and paste into my created sequence, even though I'd have to modify the pasted blocks from time to time so they fit my settings, helped a whole lot.

Believe me {and JR} shared sequences are worth their weight in gold when you are first learning all this stuff, especially when you start moving into criteria like smart or dumb RGB pixel lighting.

No they won't fit anyone's display exactly, if at all, but many times some of us have the same or similar props or items in our display, and it helps to have a starting point when you've never done it before.  especially when it comes to Arches, Spinners and other more complex items that require a lot more configuration in sequencing to getting them to function like they are supposed too!

As my tag line says below, "This hobby can bring on temporary insanity!  Especially when things don't work like YOU thought they should!?:D

So shared sequences are a great help to newcomers and even some of us "old timers" need a refresher now and then too.?

Edited by Orville
  • Thanks 1

When you get a sequence from someone what you are looking at is the sequencing itself not the props they are on. If you like the way the sequence looks on someone elses roof and think it would look good on your fence then you copy and paste from their roof to your fence. It's the effects of the sequencing and not the prop that you transfer.

• Like 1

Would anyone have a sequence to try out. Well looks like this is something I should look at.

Edited by ~DOC~