Light-O-Rama Forums

New guy

~DOC~

Just starting. I have watched many hours of YouTube on set up and all and that has made my mind up on what I want my display to be.  I really want to go straight to pixels (wife too) but I see I should start with the CTB16 too get my feet wet. I've download the demo and appears sequencing is not that difficult, but I am sure to come a long a snag or two and many problems causing me to scratch a bald spot in my hair.

Getting ready to buy the hardware now but have a couple questions. 

Is there really a difference between the kit you install the cords on versus the fully assemble controller?

As a beginner what level of skill does one need to put these together?  

I see a lot of you say just buy the pro version of software? What are you missing if you don't? 

Any other suggestion or advice would be appreciated.

If you can afford it and since you want to dive in to pixels go Pro and you never have to worry about not having all of the current functions. Your license level dictates what you can and cant use as software and controllers. You do not have to renew your license every year. It will be good for a specified number of versions (upgrades)

IMO- the preassembled is the way to go. The kits are easy to put together but time consuming. When I jumped into pixels and purchased the pixie16- easiest of the LOR pixel controllers, they did not offer assembled. They do now and it is 1/2 the cost as my build however I tend to use the best parts I can get. OCD

Pixels is entirely different animal than LED's and the Incandescent lights. For normal lights and sequencing think of each grid as a light.

Everyone starts off with "1" controller. It will be eaten up quick and you will say to yourself "should have purchased more". 

Sequencing is a little more time consuming than you might think. You can spend 4 or more hours on 15 seconds of a song depending on the song. Pixels will add more time and work.

I use SuperStar for my pixel props. That is a cost separate from the LOR packages. Price is based on the number of pixel strings/ ribbons you plan on using.

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-levels/

You can compare the license levels above

Welcome to the addiction and Happy Lighting

JR

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

Just starting. I have watched many hours of YouTube on set up and all and that has made my mind up on what I want my display to be.  I really want to go straight to pixels (wife too) but I see I should start with the CTB16 too get my feet wet. I've download the demo and appears sequencing is not that difficult, but I am sure to come a long a snag or two and many problems causing me to scratch a bald spot in my hair.

Getting ready to buy the hardware now but have a couple questions. 

Is there really a difference between the kit you install the cords on versus the fully assemble controller?

As a beginner what level of skill does one need to put these together?  

I see a lot of you say just buy the pro version of software? What are you missing if you don't? 

Any other suggestion or advice would be appreciated.

If you go here you can see just what each license level will allow or not allow:

Light-O-Rama Sequencing Suite Levels {Licenses types and what they do/do not cover in each}

The link above will tell you everything that is available in each licensing level.   Check it over thoroughly to know what your requirements are going to be, then get the license that covers everything you want to do.

Most of us will always recommend the PRO or highest license level as that opens up EVERYTHING in the software suite.  NOTE: This DOES NOT cover SuperStar, as that is a different license and also depending on how many RGB lights you have will vary in price.  Always plan for MORE than what you think you're going to have in your display, as you learn new things, your display will continue to grow.  It's a never ending process....or so it seems!

Sorry, I missed the link in J.R.'s post where he already linked that info.

Edited by Orville
Add last line where I missed J.R.'s link to license levels

13 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I

Everyone starts off with "1" controller. It will be eaten up quick and you will say to yourself "should have purchased more". 

JR

LOR controllers need a 'potato chip warning':

Warning: You can not only use just ONE.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

And that's the real truth of it too! ?

23 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Amen to that!

I'll be a little over 66K channels this year...

On 9/28/2018 at 12:20 AM, dibblejr said:

Sequencing is a little more time consuming than you might think. You can spend 4 or more hours on 15 seconds of a song depending on the song. Pixels will add more time and work.

So in the beginning I just want to outline the house in pixels, nothing dramatic no matrix or mega tree. The kit LOR has with pixels included would be way more than enough to do this.

http://store.lightorama.com/12vbl16pistp.html

SS appears to be for making intricate props. Will I be able to use the entire kit shown with just the pro version to do this? How difficult will it be with just the pro version. 

It also does not show how long these strings are. At 4 inch spacing I figure light to light is 16’ 6 “ am I correct to assume this?

it says you can hook up 100 pixels total to one output can you add more than this if you PI the string? Or is this it due to loss of data signal?

I do realize this may not be achievable this year but I think the one controller CTB16 will do me until I figure the pixels out this year or do you think it’s achieaveable.

Edited by ~DOC~

Normally one controller such as the one you linked is not recommended to do an entire house unless you have a really small house. Pixels don't like distance so it's usually recommended to get several smaller controllers and space them out if you have a larger area you want to cover. Example: I have five smaller 4-port controller to cover my house alone so the pixels are closer to the controller. Using one larger controller to cover a house requires longer runs which can result in undesired results.

The Pixie controllers can handle 100 pixels per port due to the 4 amp fuses, you would have to power inject if you want to run more then 100 so the power doesn't run through the fuse. The data is not the problem with more then 100 pixels as each pixel regenerates the data before it sends it to the next pixel. Data signal comes into question from the controller to the first pixel the main problem with longer runs is the voltage drop.

As far as the string length, the 16' sounds about right.

For your simple house outline there would be no problem sequencing them in SE or PE (I do not use PE)

No matter how you slice it, it is still time consuming and you may end up working hours and then end up not liking it and start again.

Just preparing you for the inevitable.

It is fun but addictive.

You can get that pixie 16 and get a couple pixie 4’s and build them yourself to space them as Mr P said.

However I have found LOR as everyone does in this hobby probably underrated the distance. I say this because.

My 1st gen pixie16 we’re stared to be within 20’ from controller to prop.

I have 8 circles this year and I have 50’ of cable to each end with the controller in the center. Did I need that long of cable? No but it’s all I had and I didn’t want to order more.

I have 40’ to the two in line in front of the ends but 20’ for the 2 inside circles. I have the excess cable neatly following my circle frame and the rest of the excess wrapped around the controller box (back half)

So it appears that I would have no problem with the distance between controller to prop being 50’

My circles test perfect.

All you can do is try. BTW - the circles are ribbons and not nodes. But with distance that would be a mute point.

JR

The manual for the pixie16 states 80 ft from controller to pixel. Not one run would equal that.

“For WS2811 (800KHz) and WS2801 pixels, the output networks on the pixel ports of first generation boards allow up to 40’ between the controller and the first pixel. This is increased to 80’ for second generation boards. You may need to run heavier wire (18 gauge) to prevent voltage drop on the power leads to the first pixel, especially for 5v pixels. Voltage drop usually manifests itself as pixels appearing pink when white at full power is chosen.”

Sounds. To me as said I just need to try it. 

So with super star how much of an upgrade would I need. 

Oh and I just want to say thank you to all of you for your input

8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

For your simple house outline there would be no problem sequencing them in SE or PE (I do not use PE)

No matter how you slice it, it is still time consuming and you may end up working hours and then end up not liking it and start again.

So for super star what will get me by for now? 

2_CCR 

4_CCR 

Oh wow never mind found my answer. That is a lot. 16 strings 149.99 that’s making me re think LOR all together. So maybe no super star for me. 

Edited by ~DOC~

I measured it out. With the controller centered my 2 longest length would be 40 ft  and most of the others around 20 ft and under. 

1 minute ago, ~DOC~ said:

Need to figure away to measure amps without hooking the controller up. I have a fluke just have to come up with a plan

Watts / volts = amps,  if you have 36 watt strings on 12v = 3amps.

• Like 1

I understand that it’s applying it sometimes that gets difficult? 

so one string is 15 watts which is 1.25 amps. 

Edited by ~DOC~

Just now, ~DOC~ said:

I understand that it’s applying it sometimes that gets difficult? 

i don’t recall that spec is a 50 pixel string 36 Watts?

Just an example, each manufacture of pixels has different specs. You have to apply the specs to the lights you have.

4 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

The manual for the pixie16 states 80 ft from controller to pixel. Not one run would equal that.

Well I needed to check out the manual and yes, the new gens are 80' and they even gave me extra footage as well. I thought about it today and figured it may have been my beta software giving me the extra boost. 

Nice to know I have the extra length now.

Glad I read this.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

10 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Well I needed to check out the manual and yes, the new gens are 80' and they even gave me extra footage as well. I thought about it today and figured it may have been my beta software giving me the extra boost. 

Nice to know I have the extra length now.

Glad I read this.

JR

I think LOR needs to update their one site. Mr. P link takes you to a place where they only say 50 ft. Where the manual clearly states 80. Not sure how to inform them but may be something one of you senior forum guys should do. Or they state 50 so people don’t have issues.