Light-O-Rama Forums
brichi

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

I will post as I go along and buy stuff, ill do videos too for people that may be confused like I am right now, lol... I wish there was a step by step on it already but I know I will get to it and caniac is awesome so im sure I can bounce more questions off you if possible

Caniac

1 hour ago, caniac said:

nope, you would want to talk to these folks depending on the config you are building.  

https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36&zenid=5sv7heh7ham23eeoko4r5u1h65

also these folks are helpful:

https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/product-category/p10-panelsaccessories-2/

did you do 11" cables all around for the most part?

3 hours ago, brichi said:

Caniac

did you do 11" cables all around for the most part?

sorry for the delay in answering, afternoon staff meeting.  11" are overkill, just need the 3" ones between panels and the 11's to connect to the Pi.

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Watching this intently as well as I'm looking at a matrix (or three) for next year.

Can you explain why it needs to be on your home network and not my E1.31 network?

It doesn't but in my case I left it on the home network while I was trying to figure out the communication part (it isn't that complicated, I am just old and slow).  I have it configured in xLights as a E1.31 device.

Thanks again caniac, looks like in that link they start at 11 so ill just grab them, no big deal

Edited by brichi

caniac these octoscrollers are really hard to find huh?

also, how doe the octoscroller sit on a Pi when the Pi has 1 row or connectors on the side but the onto has 2? do I use a BBB instead of Pi?

Edited by brichi

Brichi   might want to look at DYI LEDS EXPRESS  website last year they where selling kits for P10 Panels.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Brichi   might want to look at DYI LEDS EXPRESS  website last year they where selling kits for P10 Panels.

them and crocketts are good sites for stuff.  buying an assembled Octoscroller at this time of year might be challenging but if you send a message to the folks at those sites they might be willing to build it for you.  I think an un-assembled Octoscroller is like $20 and an assembled one is $30.

first of the year the sites do a bulk buy which is the best time to purchase at the lowest price

Edited by caniac

46 minutes ago, caniac said:

them and crocketts are good sites for stuff.  buying an assembled Octoscroller at this time of year might be challenging but if you send a message to the folks at those sites they might be willing to build it for you.  I think an un-assembled Octoscroller is like $20 and an assembled one is $30.

first of the year the sites do a bulk buy which is the best time to purchase at the lowest price

thank you, and looks like I have to buy a BBB not a Pi if I want to do more then 36 panels, the octoscrolla doesn't sit on the Pi

this kit may be perfect to get and test before I go all out

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=461

includes:

• BeagleBone Black Development Board
  • Sandisk 16gb Micro SD memory card
  • Number of IndoorP10 panels of your choosing
  • 1 Assembled P10 Scroller 
  • Boscoyo Studio's P10 Matrix Strips
  • 5v 300w Power Supply
  • 16 Pin Ribbon Cables
  • 16AWG Power Wire
  • AC Pigtail
Edited by brichi

you may be right on the BBB, if memory serves me correct it has two 20 pin connectors whereas the standard Pi only has one 20 pin connector.  It cost $10 more but for that difference you go from supporting 36 panels to 96!! :)   There is no shortage of info on building these plus lots of us that have done it.  Wasn't on my radar this year until I went to the OKC mini hosted by Santa's Helper.  Someone brought one plus xLights, I talked his ear off.  I am the King of 20+ questions.

hahahah same here on king of questions, lol... I just want to do it right so spending a little more for the BBB is not big deal. Just hoping I can figure out the LOR end on getting it all sequenced and talking to each other

Edited by brichi

51 minutes ago, brichi said:

hahahah same here on king of questions, lol... I just want to do it right so spending a little more for the BBB is not big deal. Just hoping I can figure out the LOR end on getting it all sequenced and talking to each other

it should be no different than configuring a RGB/E1.31 controller.  It is my understanding that S5 was written by one of the many folks behind xLights (screen shots I have seen show the same look and feel), so if that's the case there shouldn't be anything to it.  I have always been told that it can be used in S4 as long as it is setup in bridge mode.  You can have the Pi on your P10 drive your entire show, lots have done it but I didn't feel that brave.  I bought a second Pi and have them running Master/Slave.

ok cool, I don't have any E1.31 so thats all new to me, my entire show is ran on 8 Pixie LOR controllers

10 minutes ago, brichi said:

ok cool, I don't have any E1.31 so thats all new to me, my entire show is ran on 8 Pixie LOR controllers

no shortage of help here for E1.31, went that route when my wife bought me an AlphaPix 16 for my birthday last year.  Then at the OKC mini I got a sweet deal on a Falcon 16 V2 (with a 16 output daughter board for a total of 32 outputs).  The previous owner bought a V3.  Next year I will move it all over to its own isolated network (it's running now as is and I don't believe in changing anything mid show).  Did the pictures help as far as how the hardware is hooked up?

yes absolutely, thanks!! now im trying to get a friend over to get up on my second story to install heavy duty hooks to attach guy rope to to support the load of the weight and then "click" it into the window frames

is that all aluminum you used for the frame? trying to look at best options to encase the panel

14 hours ago, brichi said:

this kit may be perfect to get and test before I go all out

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=461

I saw that too and had pretty much the same thought that you did.  Turns out it's sold out.  No info on expected return.

exactly, sucks

I've been buying individual, just order cables and asked RayWu to send me 4 panels. Just waiting on Hanson electronics to tell me if they have the BBB and octoscrolla in stock

I'm on the road for a few days.  Once you get all the pieces ordered, can you send me a list.  This thread is moving so fast it's going to be hard to keep up...

Thanks

Thank you.

BTW, my wife and I spent almost 6 hours driving today.  Had a long discussion about next year.  Got a green light for everything I was thinking of doing, so the P10s are gonna happen!

sick!! my wife loves that im already buying for next year, this year isn't even over yet, lol