Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

Brichi  I been watching this thread also interested in p10 panels for next season.  Was wondering when you setup p10 matrix in PE what type of bulb do select  chip type? Can't see any info when I look at P10 panels  thanks Dennis 

14 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Brichi  I been watching this thread also interested in p10 panels for next season.  Was wondering when you setup p10 matrix in PE what type of bulb do select  chip type? Can't see any info when I look at P10 panels  thanks Dennis 

As far as LOR is concerned, it's just DMX via E1.31.

To run P10 panels with Lor you would want a separate Show Network running off of a gig e switch. 

You would set up your fpp and just run it in bridge mode. 

Right now Lor does not have the capability of running remote players. 

I should also mention you would really need to run everything and unicast doing P10 panels because multicast would flood the network with data. 

Edited by Ebuechner
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Ebuchner  have you tried  using Ron"s  Holiday Lighting  E1-31 p10 panel controller for P10 panels ?

unless I am missing something it is limited to 20 panels, I currently run 32.  I would think you would still need to set that up in bridge mode.

39 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Ebuchner  have you tried  using Ron"s  Holiday Lighting  E1-31 p10 panel controller for P10 panels ?

No I haven't.

The reason being is the Pi setup running in slave mode greatly reduces the amount of network traffic. ( I have 2 P10 panels soon-to-be 3)

I just don't see tempting fate with a lot of network traffic and then finding out last minute that it doesn't work when I'm trying to run the show. 

You know these sort of things like to rear their ugly heads the day that you are trying to turn your show on :blink:.

• Like 1

so I started playing with xlights so I can get a handle on both and 1 thing so far is confusing me. (I did register over there to ask but waiting approval)

How come if I setup 4 universes it says

E1.31 universe 1 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1-512

E1.31 universe 2 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 513-1024

E1.31 universe 3 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1025-1536

E1.31 universe 4 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1537-2048

how come universe 2,3,4 don't start at channels 1? its a separate DMX universe, why start at 513 for U2?

in LOR each separate universe starts the address at 1

10 minutes ago, brichi said:

so I started playing with xlights so I can get a handle on both and 1 thing so far is confusing me. (I did register over there to ask but waiting approval)

How come if I setup 4 universes it says

E1.31 universe 1 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1-512

E1.31 universe 2 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 513-1024

E1.31 universe 3 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1025-1536

E1.31 universe 4 - number of channels 512 ,  channels 1537-2048

how come universe 2,3,4 don't start at channels 1? its a separate DMX universe, why start at 513 for U2?

in LOR each separate universe starts the address at 1

you are confusing channels with universes. in my show I have 800 universes but my channel count goes to 80,000.  Not sure the best way to answer this other than those channels matter later when you are setting up your controllers and P10.  When you setup your P10 it has to know the start channel and you can't say Universe 500 channel 1.  It has to have the actual channel number.  Would it help to see how mine is setup?

In the Falcon Player for my P10 Matrix it has to have the starting channel in order to map what is sent to it.  In my case I put 10113 as the starting channel in my Falcon player for my matrix and 61313 as the starting channel on the Falcon player on my Marquee.  Everything that gets sent to both with those starting addresses will display on those props.  It's how xLights and FPP sort things out.

thank you, so when you set your props up though you have to start it at the address shown above, for example if I have an arch in port 3 of an alphapix, that may really be starting address "601", not "1"

I definitely have to watch a few tutorials, I would like to learn both just so I have the knowledge but even just adding a second "string" of lights in the layout was good but then after saving it doesn't show in the sequencer end, only the first arch does, not any other props, I need to watch, lol

1 minute ago, brichi said:

thank you, so when you set your props up though you have to start it at the address shown above, for example if I have an arch in port 3 of an alphapix, that may really be starting address "601", not "1"

you can set it up that way or #3:1 which is universe 3 address 1.  On you Alphapix you will put 601 as your starting channel for output 3 universe 3 (assuming that's how you set it up).

what I like is when you setup your props and say you decide to go from 16 strand pixel tree to a 24, xLights will "stretch" your output over the new strands.