Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

yeah I need it to be light, want to try and mount it right to the window frames outside.

Do the panels come with the hardware to screw them all to one another and the ribbon cables? the sites show nothing but the panel

3 minutes ago, brichi said:

yeah I need it to be light, want to try and mount it right to the window frames outside.

Do the panels come with the hardware to screw them all to one another and the ribbon cables? the sites show nothing but the panel

nope, you would want to talk to these folks depending on the config you are building.  

https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36&zenid=5sv7heh7ham23eeoko4r5u1h65

also these folks are helpful:

https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/product-category/p10-panelsaccessories-2/

Watching this intently as well as I'm looking at a matrix (or three) for next year.

1 hour ago, caniac said:

it has to be on your home network (there are ways to put it on a separate network but can be a bit overwhelming when you are just starting out).

Can you explain why it needs to be on your home network and not my E1.31 network?

14 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Watching this intently as well as I'm looking at a matrix (or three) for next year.

Can you explain why it needs to be on your home network and not my E1.31 network?

Same as I want to do a 5' x 5' window next year. 

I will post as I go along and buy stuff, ill do videos too for people that may be confused like I am right now, lol... I wish there was a step by step on it already but I know I will get to it and caniac is awesome so im sure I can bounce more questions off you if possible

Caniac

1 hour ago, caniac said:

nope, you would want to talk to these folks depending on the config you are building.  

https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36&zenid=5sv7heh7ham23eeoko4r5u1h65

also these folks are helpful:

https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/product-category/p10-panelsaccessories-2/

did you do 11" cables all around for the most part?

3 hours ago, brichi said:

Caniac

did you do 11" cables all around for the most part?

sorry for the delay in answering, afternoon staff meeting.  11" are overkill, just need the 3" ones between panels and the 11's to connect to the Pi.

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

It doesn't but in my case I left it on the home network while I was trying to figure out the communication part (it isn't that complicated, I am just old and slow).  I have it configured in xLights as a E1.31 device.

Thanks again caniac, looks like in that link they start at 11 so ill just grab them, no big deal

Edited by brichi

caniac these octoscrollers are really hard to find huh?

also, how doe the octoscroller sit on a Pi when the Pi has 1 row or connectors on the side but the onto has 2? do I use a BBB instead of Pi?

Edited by brichi

7 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Brichi   might want to look at DYI LEDS EXPRESS  website last year they where selling kits for P10 Panels.

them and crocketts are good sites for stuff.  buying an assembled Octoscroller at this time of year might be challenging but if you send a message to the folks at those sites they might be willing to build it for you.  I think an un-assembled Octoscroller is like $20 and an assembled one is $30.

first of the year the sites do a bulk buy which is the best time to purchase at the lowest price

Edited by caniac

46 minutes ago, caniac said:

them and crocketts are good sites for stuff.  buying an assembled Octoscroller at this time of year might be challenging but if you send a message to the folks at those sites they might be willing to build it for you.  I think an un-assembled Octoscroller is like $20 and an assembled one is $30.

first of the year the sites do a bulk buy which is the best time to purchase at the lowest price

thank you, and looks like I have to buy a BBB not a Pi if I want to do more then 36 panels, the octoscrolla doesn't sit on the Pi

this kit may be perfect to get and test before I go all out

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=461

includes:

• BeagleBone Black Development Board
  • Sandisk 16gb Micro SD memory card
  • Number of IndoorP10 panels of your choosing
  • 1 Assembled P10 Scroller 
  • Boscoyo Studio's P10 Matrix Strips
  • 5v 300w Power Supply
  • 16 Pin Ribbon Cables
  • 16AWG Power Wire
  • AC Pigtail
Edited by brichi

you may be right on the BBB, if memory serves me correct it has two 20 pin connectors whereas the standard Pi only has one 20 pin connector.  It cost $10 more but for that difference you go from supporting 36 panels to 96!! :)   There is no shortage of info on building these plus lots of us that have done it.  Wasn't on my radar this year until I went to the OKC mini hosted by Santa's Helper.  Someone brought one plus xLights, I talked his ear off.  I am the King of 20+ questions.

hahahah same here on king of questions, lol... I just want to do it right so spending a little more for the BBB is not big deal. Just hoping I can figure out the LOR end on getting it all sequenced and talking to each other

Edited by brichi

51 minutes ago, brichi said:

hahahah same here on king of questions, lol... I just want to do it right so spending a little more for the BBB is not big deal. Just hoping I can figure out the LOR end on getting it all sequenced and talking to each other

it should be no different than configuring a RGB/E1.31 controller.  It is my understanding that S5 was written by one of the many folks behind xLights (screen shots I have seen show the same look and feel), so if that's the case there shouldn't be anything to it.  I have always been told that it can be used in S4 as long as it is setup in bridge mode.  You can have the Pi on your P10 drive your entire show, lots have done it but I didn't feel that brave.  I bought a second Pi and have them running Master/Slave.