Light-O-Rama Forums
DisneyMatt10

How Long Is Your Entire Show?

5 hours ago, k6ccc said:

If I were you, I would just drop the 17 minutes of static.  That way there is always something playing.

Me too. That will run off alot of potential viewers wanting to see something. Thinking the show is broke or over for the night. People don't have time or patience to sit around during the holidays waiting for something to happen. Unless your Disneyland.

I agree with Santa's Helper, people will leave if your show stops so on my show as it stands right now i have over 75  songs on a mini director set to loop continuously and when nears the end it says goodnight and lets people know the show will start again the next night .also my shows length is 3 and a half hours 6:30 to 9:30 all month long starting Black Friday to Dec. 31st

13 hours ago, Godney said:

I agree with Santa's Helper, people will leave if your show stops so on my show as it stands right now i have over 75  songs on a mini director set to loop continuously and when nears the end it says goodnight and lets people know the show will start again the next night .also my shows length is 3 and a half hours 6:30 to 9:30 all month long starting Black Friday to Dec. 31st

Yeah, I've thought about doing that, but I also like the idea of giving my neighbors a bit of a break from having cars parked  on our very busy and narrow street (ours is the main street to get in and out of the neighborhood, and our streets are only 2-cars wide so if someone stops in front of my house, it's a single lane for cars to get by in both directions).

Well Jaynee luckily where i live is on a main st, but it is very wide plenty of room to get around, and my neighbors  thank God love the show it is the heart  of the neighborhood at Christmastime it brings many people together.

Hi, This year will be my first show. I plan on doing 14 Minute Shows with a 1 minutes thank you for coming greeting, this will be my regular show. I will also have special shows for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years, Weekends, which will be around 18 Minutes long and 2 thank you for coming greetings.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, Santas Helper said:

While it may seem like a good idea to have people wait to amp up excitement, alot of folks are busy and may not want to wait. Patience is not very forgiving during the holidays. 

Just my thoughts.

It all depends on your neighborhood and traffic concerns.  If you are in an area where cars line up 2 miles down the road to see your house and block traffic, and little down time helps keep the line moving.  Length of show has to be different depending on where you're located.  If we didn't do that our poor neighbors would never be able to get home.  lol

On 9/10/2017 at 9:54 AM, Santas Helper said:

While it may seem like a good idea to have people wait to amp up excitement, alot of folks are busy and may not want to wait. Patience is not very forgiving during the holidays. 

Just my thoughts.

I agree with SH on this.   It seems to me that limiting the show with breaks just encourages guests to wait around for the break to be over or sends them away disapponted.   My display has no real 'show' times.  The songs are playing all the time so people know they can come anytime its dark.  This gives them flexibility to come when its not so crowded.    I also dont want people to sit through songs they dont like, using up a front row spot,  while waiting for a particular song.   Guests who are present can pick the song they want to hear using miip and then move along and come again another day often to play the same favorite again. 

This has been playing overnight for the last 5 years.   https://vimeo.com/74244171

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 2

Very well said Bobo. And I've got to get myself spooled up on your miip. I know that's gotta be cool. Just gotta set aside time to learn it and implement it.

Cant imagine running my show with out MIIP. Hopefully this year I can talk the wife into letting me do the all night show.

1 hour ago, dougd said:

Hopefully this year I can talk the wife into letting me do the all night show.

Dougd, what are you wanting to do for all night?  You're maybe giving me ideas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

LOL. Guess i should have worded that  a bit different.

38 minutes ago, dougd said:

LOL. Guess i should have worded that  a bit different.

Good way to avoid answering the question Doug. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My show is also short, about 14 minutes.  Side point, is the Frozen song still a big hit.  I'm only in my 4th Christmas and I felt like I missed the boat on the popularity of it so I only play the classics.  It's getting down to the wire and my Halloween show is up and going, should I get this song into my playlist?

6 hours ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

Side point, is the Frozen song still a big hit.  I'm only in my 4th Christmas and I felt like I missed the boat on the popularity of it so I only play the classics.  It's getting down to the wire and my Halloween show is up and going, should I get this song into my playlist?

Jeff, I would suggest creating a new topic and ask this question. You'll get more feedback this way.

8 hours ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

Side point, is the Frozen song still a big hit. 

That is another great thing about MIIP. You know what songs people are voting on the most, and Yes it was still very popular still this past year.

Last year was my first year with LOR and I had about 25 songs. I created different shows for different nights with the longest show being about 25 minutes. I am a big fan of creating dark space. I dont want things running non-stop So an average if I want a show every 30 minutes the show length can not be more than 15 minutes. I also have shows for low key and quieter evenings like Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, I have a mid-week excitement show Wednesday and Thursday, and then on Friday and Saturday I go full bore withy everything randomized into full shows. On Christmas even I run non-stop and Christmas days as well. When the shows do not run I first black out and start slow fading patterns but never turn everything on until the show and keep some features just for the show. I also had songs I did not incorporate until later in the season. I gave people a reason to come back over and over.

Having worked on productions and in night clubs that was always my approach to lighting. Build, climax, drop build more, climax bigger and edge the excitement up to the big blow out on Christmas.

Right now I'm up to 31 sequences completed pushing for another 10. My show starts every night at dark and runs all the sequences until it repeats and I do this till midnight. Generally I pushed about 3 hours before there's a repeat people like coming back again and again and hearing different stuff. 

I've never had a problem running at this way and all the years have been doing it and nobody's ever suggested doing it different. 

our show is only 35 minutes this year- usually 1 hour but we have on street closure because of one pain in the butt neighbor....show runs continuously from 6-10pm...we had 40,000 people last year over 35 days- we cant take breaks the peeps would be pissed!

2 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Right now I'm up to 31 sequences completed pushing for another 10. My show starts every night at dark and runs all the sequences until it repeats and I do this till midnight. Generally I pushed about 3 hours before there's a repeat people like coming back again and again and hearing different stuff. 

I've never had a problem running at this way and all the years have been doing it and nobody's ever suggested doing it different. 

This is what I do as well with my 30+ songs. But...I used MIIP last year which I must say is a game changer.  Can't wait to get things going for this season

I went the route of having an A show and a B show that alternate days.  Each show is then broken down into an early show (more songs that kids like) and a late show.  The sub-shows average about 15 min in length and constantly repeat (i.e. the early show plays from about 5pm - 7:30 ish and then the late show goes from 7:30 to 10:30 ish).  This year I finally have enough music to have a C show for that odd week day.

For my display, I usually see people just stopping for a little bit.  I hardly ever see anyone stay for the full 15 minutes of a show.  Plus I like always having something playing.

On 10/20/2017 at 7:20 AM, Santas Helper said:

Jeff, I would suggest creating a new topic and ask this question. You'll get more feedback this way.

I hate to hijack threads, but I also feel like my silly questions aren't worthy of their own threads so I just threw it out there.

On 9/21/2017 at 12:25 PM, k6ccc said:

If I were you, I would just drop the 17 minutes of static.  That way there is always something playing.

Me too, I tried that the first year to try to minimize traffic and just got a bunch of complaints.  In my show most people didn't want to wait the 8 minutes or so from the show to start again, remember most people will have small kids in the car to see the lights.  The will get bored quickly.  My show is about 40 minutes on a continuous loop in the past but I am thinking of doing a shorter show this year and run them on alternating days.I may try the MIIP this year just for me, not sure I will have the time yet.