Light-O-Rama Forums

To strobe or not to strobe!

Ed Slonka Jr

George Simmons wrote:

I thought it was supposed to grow hair on your palms?

I believe your thinking of something else! ;)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• Surfing4Dough

• Ed Slonka Jr

• -klb-

LORisAwesome wrote:

I would love to use strobes in my display, but I am hesistant for one reason...

I am concerned that the strobes could possibly have an adverse affect on people that have epilepsy. I am not 100% sure, but I thought flashing lights can trigger an attack. I really don't want someone driving by having a seizure due to strobes in my display.

Thoughts anyone?

Jerry

I think this is maybe something useful for you: http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/about/photosensitivity/gerba.cfm

FYI, only about 0.8% of the population has epilepsy. Of that, only 3-5% of those with epilepsy have the type that could be triggered by high frequency flashing (>5 flashes per second). And of those, it would only be those that are untreated (not on seizure meds) that would be prone to seizures with strobes (in this day, that would be very few). So it would be unlikely that you would have anybody at risk even drive by your display (and somebody in that prone state usually isn't allowed to drive--they would be a passenger most likely). Think of the 100+ million people that watched the Super Bowl this year, and it didn't keep their organizers from using high frequency flashing for half-time activities, and without even any sort of viewer warning message. Most Xmas displays only use strobes for a few seconds at a time, and strobe seizure activity usually requires prolonged exposure (more than just a few seconds like you would use). Somebody that has this condition knows techniques that they can do to limit their exposure (i.e. close their eyes). From a medical standpoint, I think you have little to worry about.

Also from my experience with strobes, I was surprised in an outdoor setting how "underwhelming" they were. I used 15 strobes in my mega tree for the first time this past year. During indoor testing of just one bulb, I couldn't believe how bright and "obnoxious" just the one strobe was. I admit I was nervous that 15 would be overwhelming. However, outdoors it had a much different effect. All 15 provided a nice twinkling effect--definitely not obnoxious. I am doubling my strobe use this year for that reason. Without the walls to reflect the light, it had a very different effect.

So I say...Strobe all you want!

George Simmons wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
remember when they thought playing Pac-Man might cause seizures??

I thought it was supposed to grow hair on your palms?

you are using the wrong joystick again George... :D