Light-O-Rama Forums

To strobe or not to strobe!

Ed Slonka Jr

pokrplr wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
With what you have linked you are restricted to having the strobes (or an empty socket) just every 12 inches...

Should they be spaced further apart or closer? Again, new @ this...

Depends how you are going to use them and how big of an area you are trying to cover. Most would probably find that 12" might be too close, especially if going to wrap them around the outside of a mega-tree. I myself string my strobes randomly across the inside of my mega-tree, so 12" would maybe be acceptable. The custom made wires give you flexibility to do whatever you want.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• Surfing4Dough

• Ed Slonka Jr

• -klb-

jimswinder wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
Action lighting has a better price. I believe its $8.10 +/- for 100ct

They are out of stock of the green SPT-2 ones... :X

Your right, but if you dont mind white, its in stock!

As for the plugs it depends on how many your going to order. ChristmasLightShow, has the best price for them I have ever seen. Specially when they do there sale. There big sale is the same time as LOR's in the summertime.

But Noveltylights.com is $0.05 more but if you order more than 125, its $0.05 cheaper than ChristmasLightShow.

Its a shame you missed Home Depots Spt 1 plug sale. They were selling male and females in 100ct packs for $35. Which is an outright STEAL.

jimswinder wrote:

pokrplr wrote:
Should they be spaced further apart or closer? Again, new @ this...

I was also told that I can cover the empty sockets. By the time XMAS is here I will probably have more anyways, so it may be a mute point. Will that wire I had linked work though?

Spacing will be a personal preference. I am putting them in my mega tree, so 12" apart would be way too close.

The wire you had linked will work...but what were you planning on using for extension cords? Most people here use the SPT-2 and make our own (a lot cheaper than buying pre-made ones).

CDI has a good pre-order price on spools of SPT-2 and the Alligator Plugs (Male & Female) that you would also need.

EDIT: Hey...I work at Boeing in Seattle and have applied to move to the new Boeing Plant in North Charleston...

I hear the Charleston area is VERY nice!!
Jim - Charleston is BEAUTIFUL! I've been here for 15yrs, moved from NY. LOVE IT! It wont rain a 1/10th as much as Seattle either :D. Extention cords 16 guage, i found these @ biglots for $4. They should be sufficient right? Not real sure too where I'll be putting these. It was something I ordered to kinda experiment. I may end up just making my own wire then to better spacing.

• 4 months later...

Is there a minimum number of strobes/sockets one should have on each extension if we are making them ourselves? Do they all fire at the same time, therefore, one should have them on a couple different extensions?
Thank you for your help.
Joe

Joe2000 wrote:

Is there a minimum number of strobes/sockets one should have on each extension if we are making them ourselves? Do they all fire at the same time, therefore, one should have them on a couple different extensions?
Thank you for your help.
Joe

If you have halogen strobes, they will be random fire (unlike LED strobes which tend to fire in sync at first). I had 12 halogen strobes (Christmas Light Show's) on one line, and it pulled about 0.7 amps I think (LEDs would pull less). Therefore, most cord could power quite a few. There isn't a minimum you have to have either.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
I too have ordered some strobes from CDI (80)...but since I already have a bunch of STP-2 wire, I am going with these:

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/xcart/product.php?productid=296&cat=29&page=1

With what you have linked you are restricted to having the strobes (or an empty socket) just every 12 inches...

Action lighting has a better price. I believe its $8.10 +/- for 100ct

They have it both Spt1 and 2. Plus if you don't care about color, they have green and white.

Green Spt1
http://www.actionlighting.com/item-detail.asp?ID=1407&MainCategory=&Sub=

Green Spt2
http://www.actionlighting.com/item-detail.asp?ID=1409&MainCategory=&Sub=

White Spt1
http://www.actionlighting.com/item-detail.asp?ID=1408&MainCategory=&Sub=

White Spt2
http://www.actionlighting.com/item-detail.asp?ID=1410&MainCategory=&Sub=

But http://www.ChristmasLightShow.com is by far better priced for the plugs.

Male & Female Spt1 & 2 Plugs
http://www.christmaslightshow.com/xcart/home.php?cat=29

CAUTION! - When using Action Lighting C9 sockects for CLS strobes.

AL C9 sockets are deep and will pull the base off the CLS strobe as you tighten. This is the cause of many CLS strobe failures.

These are not cheap, but I have never had a failure on over 500+ CLS strobes using these stringers -

http://www.aachristmas.com/vpasp/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=188

If you don't belive me, I'll bring each type of C9 stringer to the NJ mini, you supply the strobes.

Glenn

jimswinder wrote:

EDIT: Hey...I work at Boeing in Seattle and have applied to move to the new Boeing Plant in North Charleston...

I hear the Charleston area is VERY nice!!

Hope all works out if you want the new location Jim. If you do not have room in the moving van, let me know, I give give you my address and you can ship your extra controllers and lights to me. I will give a good home with very mild winters, no snow, just trying to help you out.

shfr26 wrote:

I will give a good home with very mild winters, no snow, just trying to help you out.

I lived in Gainesville for 8 years...I wouldn't call your winters mild!!! Well...at least compared to Seattle..they are still HOT!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to use strobes in my display, but I am hesistant for one reason...

I am concerned that the strobes could possibly have an adverse affect on people that have epilepsy. I am not 100% sure, but I thought flashing lights can trigger an attack. I really don't want someone driving by having a seizure due to strobes in my display.

Thoughts anyone?

Jerry

LORisAwesome wrote:

I would love to use strobes in my display, but I am hesistant for one reason...

I am concerned that the strobes could possibly have an adverse affect on people that have epilepsy. I am not 100% sure, but I thought flashing lights can trigger an attack. I really don't want someone driving by having a seizure due to strobes in my display.

Thoughts anyone?

Jerry

If you are using strobes THAT much, you are WAAAAAAY overusing them...

I would think they would go off PERHAPS at the most five times during a song...of course depending on the song.

But of course, that is just this man's opinion... :cool:

I am going to be adding 20 strobes to my display this year.
so this is a first for me too.

My thoughts on the seizure thing are, if you are the type of person that gets seizures from flashing lights, then you probably wouldn't be out looking at Christmas lights that flash to music in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Dan C wrote:

I am going to be adding 20 strobes to my display this year.
so this is a first for me too.

My thoughts on the seizure thing are, if you are the type of person that gets seizures from flashing lights, then you probably wouldn't be out looking at Christmas lights that flash to music in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Probably not, but it is a public street and people drive by all the time.

I think I got my infomation about flashing lights causing epileptic seizures from a movie or movies. It might just a bunch of hollywood nonsense.

Are there any Doctors on here that know for sure one way or the other?

Jerry

As a former NYS EMT, if flashing lights causes epileptic seizures, for someone, they are not "allowed" to drive on the road.
Here is a though to think. What about all of the Ambulances, Fire trucks, Police cars, out there? What about the people with amber warning lights on their plow trucks, in the winter. Or all the volunteer fire and ems out there too.
If there is someone with that serious of a medical condition, they would have their license revoked in NYS and would not be aloud to drive. Your little Christmas display is minor to all of the other ways they can see strobes. Seriously, I would not even sweat it.

LORisAwesome wrote:

I think I got my infomation about flashing lights causing epileptic seizures from a movie or movies. It might just a bunch of hollywood nonsense.

remember when they thought playing Pac-Man might cause seizures?? :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

jimswinder wrote:

remember when they thought playing Pac-Man might cause seizures??

I thought it was supposed to grow hair on your palms?