Light-O-Rama Forums

Tear Down

rgardner518

I was wonder when people in the northern, snowy parts of the US, stop running there displays?

Thanks Ray

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rgardner518

• JBullard

• lightzilla

• basis21b

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night
I am in northern Alberta
Have about a foot of snow and temps of -17F so tear down is going to take a while.

I also started yesterday, we have about 5 inches of snow here, but it is a little warmer. The unfortunate thing is I need to move everything to the basement to repair or coil up extension cords so In the end it will probably take me 3 to 4 weeks to get everything back in it's proper place.

Its 6 degrees here in St Louis and I think I will wait a few more days. Too cold. You guys are tougher than I am.

Tree and other stuff inside today.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Started some tear down today

Temperature= -22 C (-8 F) windchill of -36 C ( Coooold)

Wind from the north at about 10 mph with some blowing snow.Lots of snow on the ground did I mention it is COOOOld. Have fire in woodstove in my shop with bottle Baileys not to far away.

No ladder work today all groundwork

Guest Don Gillespie

Finally got the last of the lawn stakes pulled :( -20 today and snowing hauling everything to the second shed I built in the fall to house everything so when you ask when do we run until I guess until your wife is sick of it then I start the tear down, makes no sense getting her pissed at me, I still need to eat to get enough energy to keep on tearing down ;) well I would love to chat longer but these displays won't put them selves away

Wow, some of you guys have it pretty bad temperature wise. I've been out in the yard for about 5 hours now in windy 11F weather and didn't think it too bad... until I came in and started warming up! ;) I couldn't imagine trying to do this in windy -11F weather!!!

cheers.gif
-Jeff

Man, that's some cold temps you guys have to deal with!!!

We can't really match that out here in California, so I thought I'd post a photo I took just before teardown...

Christmas in California!!! No snow, just shorts and warm weather ;)

Be careful out there!!!

Attached files 195066=10891-CaliChristmas.jpg

iresq wrote:

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Ah you meant Japan and not Germany right? On Dec.7th ,1941

What has that got to do with taken down decorations?

My show is over for this year because I said it is, and O yes I started to take it down.

Now we need to include "productive" thoughts in the post.........so the show ran great even when we hit (-46.2c) or (-49F) for 3 nights in a row. Hats of to Lor controllers.

So I hope to get a few more controllers this year.

Now back to the non-productive part of the thread.

Actually no one said "over" the actual question was "when (will) people in the northern, snowy parts of the US and (Canada), stop running there displays?

lightzilla wrote:

iresq wrote:

Ah you meant Japan and not Germany right? On Dec.7th ,1941

What has that got to do with taken down decorations?

My show is over for this year because I said it is, and O yes I started to take it down.

Now we need to include "productive" thoughts in the post.........so the show ran great even when we hit (-46.2c) or (-49F) for 3 nights in a row. Hats of to Lor controllers.

So I hope to get a few more controllers this year.

Now back to the non-productive part of the thread.

Actually no one said "over" the actual question was "when (will) people in the northern, snowy parts of the US and (Canada), stop running there displays?

Actually it was 'Animal House' 1978.

I'm sorry to say everyone is misunderstanding my original question. I was asking when everyone stops there shows from playing? I know it take awhile to tear down. That is not what I wanted to know thou.

I'm leaving the show running through Jan 5. Maybe one last show Friday the 8th for some friends. According to the weather forecast it is going to be a bit chilly - below zero - for teardown. I guess it is payback for the unseasonably warm temps I had during the set up.

Okay...I plan the last day of my show so that I have enough time to tear it down and get things put away before going back to work after New Year's on 1/4.

This year, that meant last night of lights was 12/27, and then tear down on 12/28 and 12/29. Back to work for 2 days and then the New Year's weekend I was off and able to clear up loose ends. We got the wire put away yesterday, and today I'm cleaning out the garage so that cars can get back in. Back to work on 1/4.

I think you can choose any day to end the show and tear down, but the one thing I'm very careful about is getting the word out on our website and on other websites that list us locally so the public knows what our last day is. I'd hate to see someone drive a long way and miss the lights....So there you have it...

Randy

My last Show was New Years Eve. Started tearing down New Years Day and was able to get almost everything inside this afternoon. I plan to spend tomorrow taking down the Icecicles on my 2nd story roof line.

The most time consuming issue I had was getting the electrical tape off the connections. Any ideas about how to seal connections to deter water that is easy to remove? It was 6 degrees here in St. Louis and my hands kept getting numb!

Redbirdruss wrote:

My last Show was New Years Eve. Started tearing down New Years Day and was able to get almost everything inside this afternoon. I plan to spend tomorrow taking down the Icecicles on my 2nd story roof line.

The most time consuming issue I had was getting the electrical tape off the connections. Any ideas about how to seal connections to deter water that is easy to remove? It was 6 degrees here in St. Louis and my hands kept getting numb!

Yea! Use what I use! Cord Connects! They make a tight WATERPROOF, seal. I use over 200 all over my display! I would swear by them. Plus, instead of tying the ends a a power and light cord together (to prevent from pulling apart) it does it ALL! Well worth the money!

Attached files 195089=10892-8647.zoom.a.jpg

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Redbirdruss wrote:

Yea! Use what I use! Cord Connects! They make a tight WATERPROOF, seal. I use over 200 all over my display! I would swear by them. Plus, instead of tying the ends a a power and light cord together (to prevent from pulling apart) it does it ALL! Well worth the money!
I actually stopped the show on the Dec.27th, and then ran it for 1 hour on New Years eve. until 5 minutes after mid-night then shut it down for the year.

That is not a bad idea. I should see if we carry them up this way. I started to take the display down today for about 1 hour. My hands were getting cold.

It was (0 F) outside today. I guess I always start tear down on Jan. 2nd.

I may need to leave some things up for 3 more months because of 24 inches of snow and 28 inches in some spots.

Most of the house lights can be down in 15 minutes.

Guest Don Gillespie

I ran my show untill the 27th then I pulled the plug tore everything down in the yard just have the angel and the house lights left, really the decision is up to you it is your show you can run it as long as you want, if I had my way I would run it 365 days a year thus removing the dredid tear down LOL, by the way I didn't have any takers on helping me with the tear down well maybe next year :D

Don Gillespie wrote:

I ran my show until the 27th then I pulled the plug tore everything down in the yard just have the angel and the house lights left, really the decision is up to you it is your show you can run it as long as you want, if I had my way I would run it 365 days a year thus removing the dredged tear down LOL, by the way I didn't have any takers on helping me with the tear down well maybe next year :D

What is it about an 8 hour drive to your house? Or is it longer?

It will take me long enough to dig everything out in order to finish tear down. Maybe you should come up this way. lol