• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Fischer

• jimswinder

• iresq

• robert cox

iresq wrote:

I would imagine HULU will have it (not currently up). No one has posted the torrent yet, that I could find.
I've been watching for both. Let me know if you see it anywhere.
Thanks,
S

I live in Richmond, Va. and the guy named Al lives in my neighborhood. He has a nice display. Mr. Christmas has a nice display also. I was pretty excited to see some of the larger displays in Richmond. The guy in Alexandria, Va. had the fish. I loved that setup.

Overall this (third) TLC Christmas decorating special was an enjoyable show!

The only negative I heard (which I didn't see first hand as I was out of the room for a few minutes) from the people I had over watching it was they felt one of the homeowners seemed arrogant. I am not sure who it was was, but he was a younger man, who claimed that he had biggest display in the USA/N America which as wel know is simply not true. I told them that was simply a manifestation of a display creator's pride, and is much the same as you see in theater productions, and not really a reflection of any arrogance.

Personally I give those all of the participants a great deal of credit for the work that I know went into getting ready for the video.

I would never spend all of the time that I know they had to put in to be part of the production - to get their displays up and running months ahead of time, and in some cases then taking them back down!

Very nice job folks - Cudos to all who participated!

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

The only negative I heard (which I didn't see first hand as I was out of the room for a few minutes) from the people I had over watching it was they felt one of the homeowners seemed arrogant. I am not sure who it was was, but he was a younger man, who claimed that he had biggest display in the USA/N America which as wel know is simply not true.

I don't remember that comment, but I could have missed it. Bob Cox made some remark about how he thinks he has one of the best displays in the US, but it didn't rub me the wrong way because I figured it was prompted by a leading question from the interviewer (e.g. "do you think you have one of the best displays in the US?").

Tim,

If you only knew some of the things they wanted me to say, i had to laugh. They asked the leading question 5 different ways. They wanted me to say that i believe i have the best display in the country., They wanted me to say i have the best on the east coast, and the best in PA. I fought with thme and said i won't say aomething i don't believe to be true. They let me off by giving the comment i did. I hope it didn't come off as arrogant. But i believe you could put us in the top 50 or 25 displays in the country. Maybe not tope ten, but i am very proud of our display.

And i am sorry some people feel watching our show was a waste of time. I may not fit into the mold of Richard or some others mentioned, but my display is pretty unique. There are not many others who cover their entire house from top to bottom with lights. I have tried to mix the old way of static decorating with the new computerized age. It seems this is a lost art, as many people are moving towards the less lights with more movement is better. Do i think this is a bad thing, NOT AT ALL, i love to see all the display and the new ideas. I have leaping arches to you know.

Sorry, i just got rubbed the wrong way but certain comments

Bob

robert cox wrote:

Tim,

If you only knew some of the things they wanted me to say, i had to laugh.  They asked the leading question 5 different  ways.  They wanted me to say that i believe i have the best display in the country., They wanted me to say i have the best on the east coast, and the best in PA.  I fought with thme and said i won't say aomething i don't believe to be true.  They let me off by giving the comment i did.  I hope it didn't come off as arrogant.  But i believe you could put us in the top 50 or 25 displays in the country.  Maybe not tope ten, but i am very proud of our display.

Just as I suspected. You can and should be proud of your display! ;) Like I said, the comment didn't bother me at all.

So is it true the whole police thing was basically staged?

Robert,

Me personally I thought your display was remarkable. I don't show the same opinion as a lot of people that watched it. I commend you for your hard work throughout the year, because I know how hard it is to do. Even though my display is not the size of yours, I understand what it takes to do something like that... Like I said, this is only my opinion...You deserve to feel a bit arragont, because you put so much obvious work and dedication into your display...

Looking forward to seeing it next year..

Tim,

Staged isn't the right word.

The police were at my house twice. The first time they were on routine patrol. We had problems with a few people speeding in the neighborhood and they put one of those radar signs to help with that. He was just checking to see if it helped.

The second time it was the Cheif who stopped. I had received a permit for a block party for our light up night, and had to close the streets. he just wanted to make sure the barricades were dropped off. The chief actually thanked us on camera for what we do for the community, and said he has never received a complaint about our house, he even went further to say that if traffic was heavier because of the show, that they could make our street a temporary one way to help with traffic.

There is the scoop on the police

Tim Fischer wrote:

robert cox wrote:
Tim,

If you only knew some of the things they wanted me to say, i had to laugh. They asked the leading question 5 different ways. They wanted me to say that i believe i have the best display in the country., They wanted me to say i have the best on the east coast, and the best in PA. I fought with thme and said i won't say aomething i don't believe to be true. They let me off by giving the comment i did. I hope it didn't come off as arrogant. But i believe you could put us in the top 50 or 25 displays in the country. Maybe not tope ten, but i am very proud of our display.

Just as I suspected. You can and should be proud of your display! ;) Like I said, the comment didn't bother me at all.

So is it true the whole police thing was basically staged?

Not sure that staged is the right word, but they sure made it sound as if they police were there due to complaints. Sort of the theme of that whole show, other than Bill's display and the couple from Cali...

Jeff Millard wrote:

Do the rest of you have big gatherings at show start up?

That's why I do it Thanksgiving evening...when the whole family and friends are there.

And word gets out to the neighbors we are doing it that night too...

Jeff Millard wrote:

Another thing... Is the "Reveal" a common thing? I never had a big party and shut the street down for first light. Mom and Dad, Dawn and I stood across the street the first time and some neighbors came out. But we didn't make a big production out of it. I was way too scared it would crash and burn, and I'd have little cuts an bruises from the blowmolds exploding.

Jeff

We have done the Light up night thing for the last couple years. We usually have a couple hundred people show and it has become a tradition in the neighborhood. I have been lucky and every light up night has went smooth

bob

Jeff Millard wrote:

Jeff

We have a light up party that's really more of an excuse to have a party. It is usually followed by a showing of Christmas Vacation. This is in addition to our annual Christmas party.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Ours is about as unceremonious as you can get. I fire up the show, run outside, fix any last-minute glitches, and go back in. This year we had people watching almost immediately and I was surprised how steady our first night was, with no publicity at all other than my website (we did get listed in the paper without me trying to, but that didn't come out until later)... I'm guessing most folks just saw it while driving by (we live off of a neighborhood "collector" and stopped to see.

This year was particularly rushed-- on Dec 1 I got home from work about 4pm, went out to set up a couple of displays (I don't like my tune-to signs out before show day, and I had a train I had just repaired the prior evening), then went in to set up my LOR computer, move the transmitter over to it, etc. By 5pm I had the show going. (Unfortunately ran into major problems with that show machine so a few days later I switched to a different one, but that's another story, already documented in another thread...)

A "light-up"party would be fun, but I'm not sure I want the additional pressure :)

Tim Fischer wrote:

A "light-up"party would be fun, but I'm not sure I want the additional pressure :)

Pressure?? What pressure?

Can I see a show of hands that are already planning for next year?

One, two ,three...I see that hand, four, five... lol

Tim

You discribed my night perfectlly.My wife is outside and I go running out to see the lights usually to make lots of adjustments,I don't think I could handle all the pressure. So it just ends up me and my wife watching the start up

We just have the wifey's parents come over after the Thanksgiving Feast at their house. We bring back the pies to here and enjoy a piece with coffee and Christmas lights. Not real fancy but a very nice evening after a heck tick day.

-Jeff