Light-O-Rama Forums

Was your display on TLC?

ShowProKevin

I just watched two back to back programs on TLC. Both featured Christmas light display enthusiasts who go all out every season. Many of which included animated displays using LOR.

So were any of you on this forum featured in one of these shows. I saw some cool displays and it was also interesting to hear how other people (just as myself) have to deal with angry neighbors, cops, GFCIs, rain, squirrels, delighted kids, and sore backs.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Fischer

• jimswinder

• iresq

• robert cox

I was on that program!

Not my display, but I took my kids to see Bill Vauhan's reveal. Bill is an AL user.

BTW, what did you think of that array of DMX packs? Talk about $$.

iresq wrote:

I was on that program!

Not my display, but I took my kids to see Bill Vauhan's reveal. Bill is an AL user.

BTW, what did you think of that array of DMX packs? Talk about $$.

Man, you are so lucky to be local to Bill's display. My wife and kids were both in awe of his display on the show. They all chuckled when they saw fish in the stream and then they all lost it when the fish were spitting water. :D What an awesome/fun display!

But my wife and I were confused about all those DMX packs in the other display because we couldn't see what all was being done with them. We know there had to be more to the display than what was shown on the program.

So... how many other people had their own lights flickering while watching these TLC shows? I pointed that out to the wifey and she just smiled. :)

-Jeff

Jeffrey wrote:

But my wife and I were confused about all those DMX packs in the other display because we couldn't see what all was being done with them. We know there had to be more to the display than what was shown on the program.
-Jeff

Yeah, it kinda looked like most of his display was static. Maybe he uses them as timers and for some animation?

If you go over to the PC forums, Bill and Bob Cox have pretty much documented the entire TLC experience including the finger incident.

Salts wrote:

I have nothing to add here. I just wanted to see if my new picture of the display showed up as my avatar.

And...... no for some reason it did not. That is still last years photo. I have added a little more to it this year.

Oh, and I forgot to add, after the filming, Bob had to strike a good portion of his display. His yard is covered in lights and trees. Around here, trees hold onto their leaves into November. He wanted to take up much of his lights, to clean his yard, to reassemble his lights!

That is a lot work.

iresq wrote:

Jeffrey wrote:
-Jeff

Yeah, it kinda looked like most of his display was static. Maybe he uses them as timers and for some animation?

I wondered that as well. They did mention his show computer crashed, so maybe he didn't have time to rebuild all his animation...

I do want to know what he does for a living. His display is obviously massively expensive, they mentioned him going to Disney every month, and how he worked for 16-hour days the entire month before the reveal-- when did he actually do his money-making work?

Tim Fischer wrote:

-- when did he actually do his money-making work?

I thought you guys were all wealthy and retired?!?!?! :shock:

jimswinder wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:
-- when did he actually do his money-making work?

I thought you guys were all wealthy and retired?!?!?! :shock:

I wish and I wish :D

This guy looked to be in his mid 30's at the oldest...

Tim Fischer wrote:

This guy looked to be in his mid 30's at the oldest...

you mean I'm not going to be able to retire by my 30's?!?!?!? :shock:

oh wait...I've already missed that boat...by 25 years!!

NO disrespect to the TLC displays. Thought that was a waist of an hour for me. I have seen way better displays on here that should have been represented. There are some fantastic display here that crush what was on TLC. Even my wife was disappointed.

friskybri wrote:

NO disrespect to the TLC displays.  Thought that was a waist of an hour for me.    I have seen way better displays on here that should have been represented.  There are some fantastic display here that crush what was on TLC.  Even my wife was disappointed.    

For me it's not about "crushing" anyone, it's about seeing some really nice displays. The only display on that show that even remotely 'wasted' my time was the so-called 'novice family'. Bob, Bill, and all the others put forth a tremendous effort and I have a hard time seeing them called a waste of one's time.

I'd hate to hear what you think of my display :D:P

friskybri wrote:

Even my wife was disappointed.

LOL...Meaning what???

It doesn't take much to please her??? LOL

No she is hard to please on displays. I'm not being a hater I just thought that here are many more displays out there that should have been on there. Maybe TLC didn't do a great job on giving their displays justice but I could name a few that would have been better picks. I wanted to see some in action. Mine is not even close or will ever get that good. I think it takes more then just throwing up 100,000 lights and saying look at me. I look at the hole aspect of displays. From nice websites like yours Tim. Wish I could build a good website like that. Will have to work on that in the spring. To making it animated with correct beats, thought to the music selected, making the lights tell a story and many more aspects of a display. For example. Holdmans display. bhays WOW Mine is no where near. I am just saying again. I thought there were many more displays that should have been on there.

P.S. Tim I do like your display.

friskybri P.S. Tim I do like your display.  

I do see where you're coming from. Some of the displays on there were definitely not how I'd set up a display if I personally ran one. But they all did a good job... I think TLC solicits people to do this via different channels (including PlanetChristmas). Some folks don't want to be on a show like this, others just haven't been asked yet...