Light-O-Rama Forums

Vandalism, A week before light up

PMC

I had my light system up and ready for Thanksgiving Night and last night someone decided that Holiday Lights are not allowed so they took the law in their own hands and did a good amount of damage to my system lots of cut wires to many slices to repair and since I was mostly LED's finding replacements should be fun, So I don't know if I'm even going to fix it. but something tells me I will. thankfully the LOR controllers were only knocked off their mounts, but they seem OK. I do have a CCTV system but they seemed to know where the cameras are and faced away from them

Has anyone else had this problem?

I guess I should have posted this in the main forum. So to keep topic the CCR was unharmed, kinda hard to get to being on the 2nd floor

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• toddmoon

• jimswinder

• edge

• PMC

I have deer that like to chew on light cords and blow my GFI's. Sometimes a hoof cuts an extension cord. I wrote some Anti-Deer sequences and I play them after my show until mid morning. This has helped. It also works for geese. Maybe something for the vandals might work? Random light activity choreographed to barking dogs, or whispering, ufo's, etc. I use FM radios and a Ramsey station. 80 channel + ccr over 13 acres.

http://www.pleasantgrovechristmas.com

Sorry to hear about your display. I hope you are able to bounce back and don't let them stop your show. What did the police have to say?

This has not happened to me but as the value and effort that goes into my display goes up it concerns me more. Cut wires sounds like intentional destruction with a cause, not just vandalism. Do you think they may have been anti-Christmas or anti-electricity?

Vandalism is my biggest fear.

When I set the remainder of the display up this weekend, it will be the items that they will be able to get to quite easily.

Because of the location of my mini-trees, I am actually going to chain them down...but I know that will only slow them down, not stop them from doing any destruction.

I am kinda disheartened to know that THEY knew they were being video taped and STILL did what they did. I was going to put out a sign saying something like the premises were under surveillance in hopes that would stop any vandalism. Also got some "High Voltage" signs to keep people away...

I have an idea make sure the ground is always wet and make sure there is charged dummy wires wraped around the regular extension cords that way when the vandals cut the wire they also cut the charged dummy wire and dummy 2 ie. vandal falls over they say you learn by doing i guess they need to know that when you cut through extension cord you get shocked

but out of seriousness the security alarms that are n/c switches hooked up to them run these wires through main wire runs etc that way when the take or cut lights when the wire breaks the circuit opens so then the alarm will sound inside and out hopefully the vandals will run away

I had some displays setup on my front fence. My wife was looking out the window this afternoon when a little vandal starting kicking at the display. She opened up a window and asked him what he was doing? He screamed and took off running.

I suggested getting my full auto paintball gun out and charging it up with mace paint-balls. I used to be in law enforcement and the mace paint-balls are a great deterrent to little yard pests. My wife keeps telling I will go to jail if I shoot the little pests with the mace paint-balls.

Oh, well I can always dream about it. I am seriously considering using regular paint-balls and just hang out on my roof at night. It is just so dang cold out I do not know how long I could stand being up on my roof.

Seriously, though, the worst I have had up to this point is some deer that get frisky and try and co-populate each other. Sadly, I never get any new deer out of it.

I hope you are able to recover.

Gee, I just can't understand why someone would want to do that... teenagers I guess. We have not had that problem in the 15+ years of doing shows, but it could also be that we have security cameras and we advertise that fact on the radio announcement.

I have repaired all slices using good ole' UY connectors from 3M Scotchlok, they "cut" my time in half. no joke intended, ok a small joke was intended. But, I thought I was not going to have my arches this year but I fixed them.

looking at the attached picture this is just a small area where the damage was. So now I am installing a few new CCTV cameras

Attached files 187154=10591-Slice & Splice.jpg

No telco, but I work with 66 Blocks/M blocks and I have wired many a businesses for live broadcasts using their telco lines. I'm a Radio Engineer, which means Duct/Gaffer Tape, Cable Ties (all colors & sizes) and Scotchloks by the 1000's again all gauges.

And yes I moved all my cameras tonight and I installed 2 new ones so I am hoping to keep ahead of the thieves

I feel your pain. Kids slashed my 8' snowglobe a couple of years ago.

Don't let it get to you there's always one bad apple out there.

As for security I think this could be usefull!! :D

Darryl

In our area the attacks have mostly been on inflatibles and the standing deer. Less so on lights.

I know the truly determined are unlikely to be deterred.

However, I had two thoughts and would appreciate others' opinions.

First, might there be value in leaving sufficient lights on in the display overnight so that anyone moving about in the display would be visible?

Second, having the lines energized - even to a low power - might be a deterrent to cutting wires. Or, at least, cutting more than one.

What say you all?

Rick Hughes wrote:

Second, having the lines energized - even to a low power - might be a deterrent to cutting wires. Or, at least, cutting more than one.

Do I smell Lawsuit.

All it takes is that elderly neighbour who's had enough of your lights shining in his bedroom window to come over and cut the offending strand only to have his pacemaker knocked out! :D

As for leaving a few lights on. It could work. But some people might not be comfortable with the confrontation that may arise.

Darryl

Guest wbottomley

Darryl Lambert wrote:

Rick Hughes wrote:

Do I smell Lawsuit.

All it takes is that elderly neighbour who's had enough of your lights shining in his bedroom window to come over and cut the offending strand only to have his pacemaker knocked out! :)

As for leaving a few lights on. It could work. But some people might not be comfortable with the confrontation that may arise.

Darryl

One simple thing would prevent this... No Trespassing sign.

My deterrent is a 50 pound junk yard dog. I have covered front porch that I leave him outside on the porch until my youngest son comes home from work in the evening late. If anyone comes to the yard he lets me know. My yard is also beside a street light that keeps my yard lighted up all night as well.

The only problem is this year I am sponsoring a Toys for Tots box with my display so I do not want to scare off potential donors so I am gointg to have put the junk yard dog up this year.

I am just going on the hope that most folks are inherently good and hope for the best.