Light-O-Rama Forums

Demo version save not able to Copy in licensed version?

Ed P

cotrill wrote:

[...] and don't want to waste licenses. Now I cannot sequence while I am gone unless I use another activated license [...]

Again, registered, legal owners of the LOR software should never worry about 'wasting' a license. Call/Email/Smoke Signal LOR to get your account reset.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ed P

• rwertz

• Sthunder69

• cmoore60

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I ordered a 16 channel starter package here at work.

http://store.lightorama.com/ba16chpa.html

My sequences are all encrypted and I cannot bring them home and use them on my LOR advanced version of the software. What is the deal here? Spend over 400.00 on this and over $1000.00 on my home system. Why can’t I edit my work sequences at home?

Thanks

Bill

If your sequences were constructed on a machine in demo or basic version then you have to license that machine and resave you files. Then you can take the files to a fully licensed machine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm discovering this thread very late, but just wanted to point out that most products don't offer a demo version that saves files at all. So the fact that LOR Demo can save encrypted files that can be used on the same machine, and later decrypted with a more advanced license, is a big step up from that.

As far as the 'Basic' license having that restriction-- it doesn't seem that big of a deal to me. The basic version only controls a small number of circuits, and is given away for free. An upgrade to basic-plus is very cheap and pretty much a necessity once you've been doing this for more than a season or two.

I should also point out that most software licenses restrict you to a single computer, and most licensing schemes similar to LOR's limit you to installs on, at most, 2 machines. So LOR's policies are very liberal in comparison...

-Tim

Jeff- maybe I'm misunderstanding. I was under the impression that the user could:

1) Sequence in the demo, and save it as an encrypted sequence
2) Upgrade to a Basic license, and continue to use said sequence (on the same machine)
3) Upgrade to a Basic Plus (or better) license, re-save the sequences, and now they would be unencrypted (and able to be used anywhere)

Thus providing the upgrade path you mention?

-Tim

It sounds like this is only possible if the license is installed on the PC the sequence was created on. So even if you backup your files, if that PC completely dies before you purchase the correct license your sequencing is lost.

I think the issue LOR is dealing with is that they made the XML file format so easy to read, that other people have written (and distributed) "import" tools to translate the sequences generated by LOR. People were using the free LOR software (with all the fancy editing tools) to generate sequences, and then importing it into these other programs to run the lights.

I'll continue to pay any reasonable licensing fee for the advanced version because I really, really, really like the XML file format. I don't even mind paying for an upgrade every couple years. But I am concerned that (at some point) these controls could affect my ability to use the software or sequences in the ways that I always could before.

The way I read Bob's earlier post in this thread, everything will be converted to the files we are used to as soon as the user registers a Basic Plus (or higher) license on the PC the sequences were created on. Until then, it is nearly impossible to get the info out of that encrypted sequence.

bob wrote:

..., and also of the "Basic" version (which also saves files encrypted).

"Basic Plus", "Standard" and "Advanced" do not have this restriction.

If you activate your license on your computer at work, next time you save that file on your work computer, it will become unencrypted, and you will be able to copy from it on your home computer.

Yes #3, unencrypting a sequence can only be done by the computer that encrypted the sequence to begin with. So you must upgrade the computer that produced the encrypted sequence to a upper license and then you can save an unencrypted sequence.

That was essentially what I complained about. I wanted to do my 16 channel Halloween sequence at work on Demo version and take home to my Advanced license copy machine but I could not change the encrypted sequence on my home machine because they were encrypted on another computer.

And because I did not know about this and did not have a good saving scheme I ruined my unencrypted sequence by taking it to work, changing some and then overlaying at home and then could not work on it any further.

Ed P wrote:

I wanted to do my 16 channel Halloween sequence at work on Demo version and take home to my Advanced license copy machine but I could not change the encrypted sequence on my home machine because they were encrypted on another computer.

My suggestion posted earlier; the ability to tie a license seat to the USB Flash drive that you already use to transport sequences; would solve your problem. Maybe LOR is thinking about it...

• 3 weeks later...

I am assuming that this has been fixed. I am having no problems helping a friend do sequencing. He has the advanced version and I have the demo.

I'm guessing it was fixed?

No need to worry here.

-Tyler

tyler9613 wrote:

I am assuming that this has been fixed. I am having no problems helping a friend do sequencing. He has the advanced version and I have the demo.

No need to worry here.

-Tyler

Be careful Tyler. The way I understand it, if you are running LOR S2, the computer that is running the demo version will be encrypting the files. Hopefully your friend is keeping copies of his work and not just overwriting his files with yours.

If you are running LOR 1, than what you say makes sense.

tyler9613 wrote:

No need to worry here.

-Tyler

Demo still encrypts as far as I know.

However 2.6 changed so Basic license now is XML and not encrypted.

This is definitely an improvement.

I have not tried Demo since 2.38.

Ed P wrote:

Yes #3, unencrypting a sequence can only be done by the computer that encrypted the sequence to begin with. So you must upgrade the computer that produced the encrypted sequence to a upper license and then you can save an unencrypted sequence.

That was essentially what I complained about. I wanted to do my 16 channel Halloween sequence at work on Demo version and take home to my Advanced license copy machine but I could not change the encrypted sequence on my home machine because they were encrypted on another computer.

And because I did not know about this and did not have a good saving scheme I ruined my unencrypted sequence by taking it to work, changing some and then overlaying at home and then could not work on it any further.

This is exactly the reason I've had to convert all of my unencrypted sequences to Vixen. I don't have time at home to sequence everything on my registered LOR computer, but I am hesitant to "use up" licenses on my work PC when it is going to be reimaged every few months.

If LOR's licensing scheme let me re-use one of my seats when re-installed on the same system, I'd probably still be running my shows with it. Isn't there a way for the license to remember the MAC address or other identifying hardware on the system so you don't have this problem?

Perhaps the license could generate a hardware ID code so that reinstalls to the same system would check for that code and apply the same license to it. Of course, don't base it on something easily changed like a video card, but use the mainboard and processor type since those usually stay the same even as other parts of the system are upgraded.

I far prefer the UI in LOR to Vixen; I just have to go with what works for me.

If LOR's licensing scheme let me re-use one of my seats when re-installed on the same system, I'd probably still be running my shows with it.

It does. You can reinstall LOR a million times on the same system, and you will only use one single seat doing so.

Well, at least, it tries to. In some (hopefully uncommon) cases, it will misdetect it as a different computer, but generally speaking, it will detect that it is the same computer as before, and it will not use up an additional license seat.

And if it does wind up misdetecting it as a new computer, and you eventually run out of license seats due to this reason or anything similar, contact LOR Customer Support, and they will take care of the situation for you.

• 11 months later...

Sorry for the bump but this is really bugging me!

Twice in the past year, I have downloaded sequences from newbies trying their hand at sequences. These are newbies who we all hope to encourage to become paying customers. These were right here in our own forum! These are sequences I fully intended to incorporate into my shows this year, but I can not copy! I am going from 16 or 32 up to 64. Yeah I can overlay my configuration or even get them into usable channels, but the only way I can see to use these sequences is to copy any animation that I want to double to other parts of my display cell by cell. I tried resaving the file on my pc using my fully paid license and of course that doesn't work. I can't even just keep it encrypted cause I can't even copy within the same file.

To suggest that this is not a hindrance to people who are sinking hundreds of dollars into your company each year is ludicrous. Maybe its not a showstopper overall, but it may very well be for these two new sequences I planned all year to use. I can't even copy a timing from them!

Paying customers need to be able to decrypt a file or at least better take advantage of the encrypted ones. I am not a pirate! Thanks for making my work harder this year (in the 3 hours I have a day between work and sleep).
Stephen Disney
(Paying customer)

I'm sorry if my response was a little brusque, but this has got me really frustrated and we're in crunch time... lights go up this week. I have nothing but heartfelt respect for Dan and his crew. LOR is amazing as we all know.

I did try to track down decrypted copies of the two sequences... to no avail. I also discovered that you can copy channels to a new track in the encrypted files, but you can't change controller info on one copy without changing it on the other, so it unfortunately won't work as an option for expanding an encrypted track.
S

Someone asked if I had seen the reasons why the files were encrypted. My response...

Yes, I understand the reasons. But as I said, I am a paying customer not a pirate. I am saying that paying customers should be able to use encrypted files that someone sends us. The whole sequence community is set up around sharing. I won't argue. Just want to make it known that I am having a spot of dissatisfaction with a product that I otherwise love. Dan has proven himself to be big on customer satisfaction. Nothing changes if dissatisfaction isn't stated. Thanks, S