Light-O-Rama Forums

August is over and no DIO?!

Ponddude

I know I'm a pain but I noticed August is rapidly coming to a close and I haven't heard of the DIO shipping. It's crunch time for and I really need my boards. Any ideas of it's still shipping this month?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ponddude

• LightORamaDan

• JoelSturman

• Donald Puryear

Jeff Millard wrote:

Was there a promise to have these shipped by the end of August... or they're free? :cool:

Jeff

I like your thinking!!

Is it perhaps a bad portent that the date on the 'preliminary' manual for the DIO still reads "September 24, 2008"?

I have to tell you Jeff, I completely agree with you. It amazes me that LOR can be so good at customer service, but when it comes to meeting delivery dates, they are the WORST company I have ever seen. Frankly, it is ridiculous to me. There has been no updates from LOR, not even an apology. Why should I pay for something and not have it in a timely manor?! I am an LOR customer and will be for life, but year after year I get screwed over and have to rush on my projects because they promise something and then never deliver on time. I am going to have to purchase the servo controller from d-Light, which I don't want to do, but now have to choice...at least I will have it in a reasonable amount of time.

Truly a terrible way of doing business.

Not when this is on the product page...

This item is schedule to be stocked in late August. Orders place now will be shipped at that time.

And even worse when Dan himself stated this...

The DIO32s will ship this month. I am not exactly sure of the date but it will be this month. The cards have been built and are in house.

Want to know what the funniest thing about that picture is...

Besides a Christmas freak, I also enjoy ponds/water gardens. I built a 10,000 gallon pond in my back yard that has been stocked with lots of imported koi. Well this year I had a huge issue with a heron that enjoys eating my very expensive fish.

Funny, probably not...definitely ironic!

Guys, I understand your concerns about hardware being late...and you are right, many times LOR does release their software and hardware later than expected.

However, I'm sure there are TONS of things that are holding these products back that we are not informed of. Have you noticed that the software is tied in with the hardware? We are talking the sequencer, the hardware utility, firmware, etc. Then there is testing the product prior to shipping. I can imagine Dan not wanting to release any hardware or software until it's up to snuff...otherwise, it will cost him to fix and re-ship whatever is wrong.

If I were in Dan's shoes, I would do the same thing EXCEPT I would communicate to everyone in the forums about the current status of everything. Maybe something like a blog to where everyone can see why hardware or software is late. There could be issues as easy as insufficient manpower (i.e. vacation, sickness, attrition, etc.) or things like waiting on software that accompanies the hardware...or even big problems that need to be resolved before shipping.

Trust me. There are reasons behind the tardiness of the releases and they may not be the best reasons, but hearing them would be nice. I would definitely like to see something like that...

Wayne

I agree Wayne. Like I said, I am an LOR customer for life. Heck, I even have a few clients this year that I have suggested they purchase LOR stuff. But you completely hit the nail on the head...KEEP UP INFORMED! That is all I ask. LOR has this great forum that so many of us and read everyday, that simply posting an announcement that explains what is going on would be great. Frankly, "Shipping very soon" doesn't cut it for me. I am a beta tester and no matter how many times I have posted about updates to the HU for the DIO board, Bob hasn't responded. A new version just came out in a beta and there is nothing in the software that even hints to the DIO board or the ServoDog.

I think as consumers we deserve to be informed.

Ponddude wrote:

I agree Wayne. Like I said, I am an LOR customer for life. Heck, I even have a few clients this year that I have suggested they purchase LOR stuff. But you completely hit the nail on the head...KEEP UP INFORMED! That is all I ask. LOR has this great forum that so many of us and read everyday, that simply posting an announcement that explains what is going on would be great. Frankly, "Shipping very soon" doesn't cut it for me. I am a beta tester and no matter how many times I have posted about updates to the HU for the DIO board, Bob hasn't responded. A new version just came out in a beta and there is nothing in the software that even hints to the DIO board or the ServoDog.

I agree, we do need to keep people better informed. As far as delivery dates, in some cases there are unexpected roadblocks thrown at us but it is really my overly optimistic estimates that cause most of the problems. I had every intention to improve but it is now apparent I am not qualified to provide dates. Because of this I will be removing myself from that task and giving it to someone who has been constantly correct with their estimates and ignored by me! That will help us in the future but we are where we are today.

As it looks now, the ServoDog and Ribbon will ship at the end of the month. The DIO32 will start shipping in less than two weeks.

I will keep you better informed in the future.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

As it looks now, the ServoDog and Ribbon will ship at the end of the month. The DIO32 will start shipping in less than two weeks.

Dan

Thank you for the Update.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Ponddude wrote:

I agree, we do need to keep people better informed. As far as delivery dates, in some cases there are unexpected roadblocks thrown at us but it is really my overly optimistic estimates that cause most of the problems. I had every intention to improve but it is now apparent I am not qualified to provide dates. Because of this I will be removing myself from that task and giving it to someone who has been constantly correct with their estimates and ignored by me! That will help us in the future but we are where we are today.

Dan

See...that wasn't so hard!!;)

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Take the example of EDM Design (the makers of the very highly praised FM transmitter). They came out with a new transmitter with RDS support, but had some delays. However, they gave all their subscribers detailed information about the delay with this message from the edmdesign Yahoo group:

We had a disappointing setback of releasing the full EDM-LCD RDS kit plus enclosure. The sample enclosures produced by a company http://www.dsjm.com/en_index.htm for the RDS model turned out to be a complete disaster! They altered the design and layout without permission AFTER we told them they should follow our CAD drawings precisely as the PCB's are finalized and can't be altered. They moved the position of the pots among other things. After confronting them, they eventually said they can't produce to our specifications. This was the first time we tried to have the enclosures manufactured in the far east.

This caused a frantic search for another company. We found one and are awaiting samples from them. We are holding thumbs that it will be good this time.

EDM Team