Light-O-Rama Forums

Will the USB adapter with Booster handle high speed?

k6ccc

Trying to help another guy with a strange problem with his Director.  Trying to run the show off a computer, but need more USB adapters than we have (short by one).  Another local guy has a spare, but it's the adapter with booster.  My recollection is that those are only rated for slower speeds, and we need at least 500K speed.  Does anyone know if the USB adapter with booster REALLY will run 500K speed?

20 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Trying to help another guy with a strange problem with his Director.  Trying to run the show off a computer, but need more USB adapters than we have (short by one).  Another local guy has a spare, but it's the adapter with booster.  My recollection is that those are only rated for slower speeds, and we need at least 500K speed.  Does anyone know if the USB adapter with booster REALLY will run 500K speed?

I use one of those black dual port USB-RS485B adapters, nope, it won't do 500K, I don't even recall that speed being listed for that adapter, unless newer ones can do it.

All I know is I tried to run a test show and as far as I recall  500K wasn't even a listed option on mine, so, as far as I can recall, no, it won't do 500K.

Now I purchased mine back in late 2009/early 2010 and tried this with it about 3 or 4+ years ago.  I think it may go just above 115.4K, which 115.4K is what I use since I still use an older V1 CTB16PC controller(which also powers my N4G4 Director via REG(Net1) port, and that's the maximum I can use with my setup on the REG port.

Net 2 and 3 on my N4G4 are set at 1,000k(2 - Pixie4D anf 1 - Pixie16D), Net 4 is set at 500K(1 older CCB100D Controller).

Just to clear up that not my entire display runs at 115.4K off my N4G4 Director.

When I ran a show from my computer, all my RGB controllers at the time had to be on Aux A (red HS adapter) at 500K (older 5V CCB100D) controllers(x10), 2 - Pixie2D( Ralphie and Zuzu), and a Pixie16D(12V).  Didn't have as many RGB Props and lights back then, like I do now!

Edited by Orville

• 1 month later...

@k6ccc Hi Jim!  Thought I'd share this link.  It's really hard to find without a Google search, but it lists all of the Light-O-Rama products, including the USB adapters, and clearly shows which devices support the various speeds and protocols.

https://store.lightorama.com/pages/how-many-lights-can-i-connect

I have had that page (and the previous version) bookmarked for years.  I have posted the link dozens of times.

Is there a mistake on that page? It says a CTB16PC v2 won't do DMX512, but @Tim Fischer says he is using a bunch of those in his DMX display.