Light-O-Rama Forums

Two CCR drift out of synch

Bruce Wallick

Hi all,

I have two original CCR ribbons around my 2-car garage door with the controllers on the outside bottom of each side. I downloaded the same sequence to each controller, which are operating in standalone mode. When power is applied, both ribbons are in synch, but after some time, one ribbon's lights are slightly delayed  from the other which ruins the chase. It seems the delay increases over time. I dl'd both sequnces again and am certain they are the same. 

The only diff between the two sides is one has about a 70' power cord going to it that the other does not. This won't cause the delay by itself, but I'm wondering if the slightly reduced voltage is making the far controller "slower" than the other. The current in the cord is so low (just the CCR on it) that I can't believe the voltage would drop that much, but I have no other ideas.

please share your thoughts with me, and thank you in advance.

Bruce

They don't have any real time clock, so no surprise that they drift.  Can you make one a slave to the other?

Yes, a controller in stand alone can control additional controllers.  There is a limit to how much sequencing you can put into any controller in stand alone.

6 hours ago, Bruce Wallick said:

@k6ccc is that possible or are you just musing?

@ItsMeBobO Thanks for that idea- they were both already there

I'd try testing MeBobo's idea with the controller that starts drifting behind by increasing the speed by 1, test and see if it solves the issue, if not, then keep bumping the one controller up by 1 each time, test, until, hopefully, it stays in sync with the other controller.

Can't say how well it will work, or if at all.  But it couldn't hurt to possibly try it.

Edited by Orville
  • Thanks 1

Page 29 of the manual:

Stand Alone Operation - A stand alone animation sequence (sequence with no accompanying audio) can be downloaded into the flash memory of the CR150D controller. Stand-alone memory is external to the microprocessor and does not use any of its code space. Stand-alone sequence storage can hold approximately 10,000 commands. These commands can also be for controllers other than this controller, so this controller can direct a network of controllers. There are no restrictions on the types of LOR controllers in this network.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bruce Wallick said:

It looks like the master/slaved controllers fixed the problem. Thanks to all responders!

You're welcome.  I'm going to assume that the clocks rate is not exactly high spec - there is no need for it to be in most processors.  It does not take much of a clock rate difference to create quite a time difference - especially when we care about timing in the well under 100mSec range.