Light-O-Rama Forums

Daisy chaining two controllers (CMB24D and Pixie4)

Achint Mehta

I have two controllers one from the Floodlight kit CMB24D (with unit Id 1) and Pixel Stakes Pixei4 (with unit ids 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D) and I want to daisy chain them so that CMB24D can control the Pixie4 in standalone mode. I have connected these two controllers with an ethernet wire. 

I have the sequence with both of these controllers, but when I play the sequence in the sequence editor only one controller works. If the computer is connected to CMB24D then it turns on the floodlights correctly, but Pixie4 doesn't do anything. If I connect the computer to Pixie4 controller, then it also turns on the correct LEDs but CMB24D doesn't do anything.

I also downloaded the sequence onto CMB24D in standalone mode and when I power the controllers (while they are connected with ethernet cable) only CMB24D turns on the floodlights.

Does anyone know if any more configuration is supposed to be done or these controllers can be daisy chained or not? 

I would be surprised if you could do much (if at all) with a CMB24D controlling a Pixie.  First of all, (and I'm doing by memory), the CMB24D can only hold something like 10,000 channel commands.  With even just a few hundred pixels, you would use up 10K channel commands REALLY fast.  Second, the CMB24D when operating in Stand Alone mode will operate in non-enhanced LOR protocol.  The Pixie controllers either require or prefer (depending on who you ask) to be on an Enhanced LOR protocol network.  Lastly, if the sequencing for the Pixie was done in Sequencer as Motion Effects, it MUST be played in Enhanced LOR mode - which the CMB24D will not send when operating in Stand Alone mode.

Also keep in mind that when using any controller in Stand Alone mode, it is animation only - no music.

Regards your problem with the portion only playing from the Sequencer on the controller that is directly connected to the computer, that sounds like you either have a bad cable, or a bad jack on one of the controllers.  To test that, with no cable plugged between the two controllers, plug the cable from the USB to RS-485 adapter directly into one port on one of the controllers.  Make sure it's working.  Then move the cable to the other port on that same controller.  Confirm that it works.  Repeat for the other controller.  So a total of four tests.  Note, because you have a stand alone sequence loaded into the CMB24D, you may need to unload that in order to perform this test (I don't remember).  If you find that one (or more) ports don't work, carefully visually inspect the jack that you are plugged into.  You are looking for bent pins, or pins that cross over to the next position.  Usually in the latter case, with a SMALL hooked probe, you can usually fix that.  If all four ports are good either try a different cable between the two controllers, and/or test your cables with a cable tester.  If you do have a bad port and are unable to fix it, ask.  There are a couple work arounds depending on what you find.

No, no config is required to daisy chain the controllers other than setting the Unit IDs - which you already did.

Lastly, please get out of the habit of calling it an "Ethernet" cable - it's not.  It's normally either a Cat-5, or Cat-5e, or Cat-6 cable with what are commonly (incorrectly) called RJ-45 connectors.  Yes, that is the same cable and connectors  that are used for Ethernet, but we are not using Ethernet.  We are using RS-485 serial data.  If you think of it as Ethernet, it becomes too easy to try to plug it into an Ethernet device (switch, router, computer, etc) and under the right circumstances that can result in damaging hardware.  My recommendation is to use a different color cable for your LOR RS-485 networking.  Personally I use purple for RS-485, green for E1.31, and blue for my "normal" home network.

Enough for now...  Gotta get to bed.

YOU CAN daisy those in Stand alone. I would use the Pixie as Master (more CPU capacity) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xrWf6DqDsp48J6Ynm_mz9Vixo5Vzoiv7/view?usp=share_link

Nothing needs to be done to the Slave. The only difference  between Normal (computer or director) and stand alone is: (besides a really simple/small sequence)

in SA your network is ALWAYS set to REGULAR in that SA Sequence (The controller may be really on AuxB for the full show)

And Please, CAT 5 not Ethernet (unless you are using a E1.31 device). If Somebody plugs a LOR network into a Router and there may be smoke (double the chance if POE or Gigabit)

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

YOU CAN daisy those in Stand alone. I would use the Pixie as Master (more CPU capacity) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xrWf6DqDsp48J6Ynm_mz9Vixo5Vzoiv7/view?usp=share_link

Nothing needs to be done to the Slave. The only difference  between Normal (computer or director) and stand alone is: (besides a really simple/small sequence)

in SA your network is ALWAYS set to REGULAR in that SA Sequence (The controller may be really on AuxB for the full show)

And Please, CAT 5 not Ethernet (unless you are using a E1.31 device). If Somebody plugs a LOR network into a Router and there may be smoke (double the chance if POE or Gigabit)

@TheDucks Thank you for your response. It was the CAT5 cable issue. I was using a generic ethernet cable. Using a CAT5e cable fixed the issue,

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Lastly, please get out of the habit of calling it an "Ethernet" cable - it's not.  It's normally either a Cat-5, or Cat-5e, or Cat-6 cable with what are commonly (incorrectly) called RJ-45 connectors.  Yes, that is the same cable and connectors  that are used for Ethernet, but we are not using Ethernet.  We are using RS-485 serial data.

@k6cccThank you for pointing this out. You are correct, I confused Ethernet for Cat5 and that was root of the problem 

11 minutes ago, Achint Mehta said:

@k6cccThank you for pointing this out. You are correct, I confused Ethernet for Cat5 and that was root of the problem 

They are really the same. It is the mis-use (smoke making type) we try to avoid by using the different name . CAT6 is also the same (actually better for Aux powered devices)

BUT we avoid that because it is stiffer and can break the connectors  off the board when bent.

3 hours ago, Achint Mehta said:

@TheDucks Thank you for your response. It was the CAT5 cable issue. I was using a generic ethernet cable. Using a CAT5e cable fixed the issue,

Generic CAT5 cables are fine. Something is odd about that one (We only use the Blu+Wh-Bu pair) in most cases. That is on 4+5, the center 2 pins. 💡Pull (park it on a single pin so not to lose) JP2 on the Pixie. That is Aux Pwr for some accessories and is not needed in most cases. A reversed green (3+6) pair could cause issues

Yes, I have purchased cables for Ethernet use that were WRONGLY assembled (You did not want to be near when I found that out after a torcherous stringing of a 100' cable in the company shop)

Edited by TheDucks

Another tool that is worth the $30-$55 is a LAN Quicker 009 or Klein Tools VDV526-200. I use one to test cables at the beginning of the season. It takes just seconds to verify the cable is good and both come with a detachable remote so you can test in the yard as well once strung. Very frustrating to assume the CAT5,5e,6 cable works when it has a pair, connector, squirrel bite, etc that has failed. Just like having a LED Keeper, a long extension cord ready etc, the right tools make troubleshooting faster and easier. Just because it worked last year doesn't mean something didn't happen to it while wrapping it up, storing it or pulling it back out.

+1 on the Klein VDV scout. If you are a DIY datacom tech, this does Voice, Data and Coax (video) and has (up to) 16 ID plugs to help map out your patch panel. The newer models combined the ID and wiring verification into 1 remote plug.

9 hours ago, dgander said:

Another tool that is worth the $30-$55 is a LAN Quicker 009 or Klein Tools VDV526-200. I use one to test cables at the beginning of the season. It takes just seconds to verify the cable is good and both come with a detachable remote so you can test in the yard as well once strung. Very frustrating to assume the CAT5,5e,6 cable works when it has a pair, connector, squirrel bite, etc that has failed. Just like having a LED Keeper, a long extension cord ready etc, the right tools make troubleshooting faster and easier. Just because it worked last year doesn't mean something didn't happen to it while wrapping it up, storing it or pulling it back out.

@dganderThank you very much for this advise. Ordered one. I know this will come in handy.