Light-O-Rama Forums

Why? Show start struggles, but eventually goes away.

Jay Czerwinski

On 10/25/2022 at 10:39 AM, TheDucks said:

Any outlet strip that trips because of a bug surge, has probably had the MOV give its all and needs to be replaced. Even if the strip resets. The sniff test should give the clue if that part got toasted.

Rule #1 (Courtesy of APC waking up this tech). Only ONE Surge strip in a chain (at the start) of strips. Think Keystone Cops. 'I got it' No I got It.

The surge causes the circuit to Avalanche , and dump the excess. when you use many on a chain, the dump becomes erratic and undependable

This concept had me scratching my head - but while continually trying to hunt down my problems - this turned out to be one of them.   A power strip just wouldn't stay on.   I felt silly doing the sniff test, but you have me believing.   I didn't smell anything but decided to replace them and remove the daisy chain configuration.   Time will tell as Amazon just delivered replacements this morning.    THANK YOU for this eye opener.   I wouldn't have thought this possible.  

On 10/25/2022 at 10:39 AM, TheDucks said:

Once you have cleared the Dead. Check that HU can find the survivors.  and do other checks.

I am finding that although things work on the HU, that controllers farther down the chain seem to misbehave when that controller is in line.   So inconsistent!!   I'm beginning to replace the CAT5 between them thinking that could be a variable too.   It's almost like the working unit performs, but adds a problem to the network line for other controllers to freak out.....     I'll still keep moving the puzzle pieces around and try to find some consistency.

Additional note - saw that one of the controllers had a loose RJ45 too.  Pulled that guy as well.   What a mess.

Jay

If the controller is the same model as the Last one on the line, change the ID's and swap positions (or recable the Net. ID's do not need to be in order chained.

Every one of my controllers use a Pair (in and out) of Network Dongles bought from LOR mounted on the case (except a Gen 2 AC, no room so the dangle like on their 50W floods)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BjuuMb1R5x0u-NmzX4J3vtB6zNKjtqf5/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

FINALLY SOLVED!

Here were the results.

1. Yes, my UV floodlight is dead and will not show up on any network.

2. Yes, at least one of my power strips were affected by a nearby lightning strike, and tripping for no reason.

3. All of my other observations were WRONG due to a Black USB485 that was failing for some reason - may have been before the lighting strike.   It was basically giving me false data in the Hardware Utility - making me think a working unit was bad or not even on the network.  And it was creating phantom controllers I didn't have. and so much more redirection.   I replaced the USB485, made a change in my network profile to have Regular network now on Com 6 instead of Com 5.   Didn't need to modify any of my sequence and the show is running great tonight!

Thank you to everyone throwing me ideas and systems to check.   It helped me get there.   Feel free to reach out to me if you are having the same problems.    I'd be happy to pay forward the experience I gained from others!

Cheers and Happy Halloween this weekend and Monday!!!

I assume 🙄 you swapped the power supplies on the 'bad' 50W since you had a 'power event'

The outlet strip did its job: Likely the MOV is shorting permanently  or a noise reduction circuit capacitor failed (higher end units). This is expected.

There is a RS485 chip in the flood that probably ate a lot of that strike.  I can't tell from the image in the manual if it is socketed. BTW try running the self test listed in the manual. to see if it is a network issue or worse

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I assume 🙄 you swapped the power supplies on the 'bad' 50W since you had a 'power event'

The outlet strip did its job: Likely the MOV is shorting permanently  or a noise reduction circuit capacitor failed (higher end units). This is expected.

There is a RS485 chip in the flood that probably ate a lot of that strike.  I can't tell from the image in the manual if it is socketed. BTW try running the self test listed in the manual. to see if it is a network issue or worse

Great idea @TheDucks to test the power supply!   I can also check that on the power supply that runs the CMB24D V6.

Thanks @k6ccc for the reminder to backup.  I not only have a copy on the separate sequencing computer, I just backed-up to a portable hard drive and I think I will also do that to a google drive for offsite redundancy.

And thanks @dgrant for the PC settings.  I am doing those things on more than just one computer now.  Great find.  

Troubleshooting when there are actually multiple problems can really cause you to tear your hair out!

Glad you found all the issues.

1 minute ago, Jay Czerwinski said:

Thanks @k6ccc for the reminder to backup.  I not only have a copy on the separate sequencing computer, I just backed-up to a portable hard drive and I think I will also do that to a google drive for offsite redundancy.

If you are still working, take the portable hard drive into work.  Easy way to get something off-site.  And storage is getting so cheap.  I paid something like $62 each for the 2TB external hard drives that I use for one of the server backups.

I thought it was a 50W flood that had issues. Does that use the same PSU as the CMB24 (RTG). (All my CMB24 boxes are built by myself using 400W external supplies that I got from HC-no longer sold 🥺 if one should die)

10 hours ago, Jay Czerwinski said:

1. Yes, my UV floodlight is dead and will not show up on any network.

I recently just had a LOR 50W flood fail.  It was weird because when it failed the daisy chain after it still worked.  It also did not show up in HW Utility when it was the only item connected. I took the back plate off and tried setting the DIP switches to hardcode its address, but that did not work.  I turned on DIP switch 12, reapplied power and the light went through a self test that showed it still functioned.  LOR tells me it is a bad COMM chip and it needs to be replaced.  I of course have an older unit so it is soldered to the board and not in a chip socket.  Fortunately I bought a spare flood earlier this year so this does not impact me while I send it out to get it repaired.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

If you are still working, .....

Actually, I've been unemployed for a bit.   Just putting it out there for anyone that might think I could be a good fit in the Dallas area!  😉    Product designer with operations manager experience and a tenacity for troubleshooting and solving problems! 

linkedin.com/in/jayczerwinski

39 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I thought it was a 50W flood that had issues. Does that use the same PSU as the CMB24 (RTG). (All my CMB24 boxes are built by myself using 400W external supplies that I got from HC-no longer sold 🥺 if one should die)

Initially the 50W flood was the suspect.  Not sure on the timing of everything, but I suspect the USB485 was starting to fail just after I added it to my network.   It might have been fine, and the lightning was after the fact.   A crazy storm of events probably not related.   I use a separate PSU for the CMB24.