Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie with a few questions...

dackjob2

So I'm a newbie to LOR and after this year I'm looking to get a few items for next year. I was wondering about where do you get smart pixel lights strands that work with the LOR dangles? Seen a bunch on amazon but.... I'm looking at getting a Pixie 16 12V (I think?). I'm looking to just do a mini director, a mega tree, the Pixie 16, and a CCII with the bulb type lights for the roof line. Any suggestions, guidance, help would be greatly appreciated. 

The pixels that come with the Pixie 2's (CCII) are a very good quality and I've had zero issues with them. If and when you have issues, you want a vendor/supplier to be able to help LOR does great job with that. You also have the option to buy most of what you want pre-made from LOR ready to go it will cost you more but again service and support are worth their weight Gold when you need it.

If you go the build it yourself route, I bought my pixels from WELL KNOWN vendors (like Wired Watts and Wally's Lights) I would not skimp of the cheapest pixels I could find for my first dive into pixels. The Pixie 16 (not the **PIXCON 16**) is a great and easy to use pixel controller and you can use just about any 12v power supply and pixels with it. There is sort of a "normal" case if you can find them called a cable guard CG1500 has plenty of room for 1 or 2 power supply's and the controller to fit in. You will also have to decide on the type of pig tails ends you want to use with your Pixie 16, most go with Ray Wu or xConnect or LOR... you have options just pick one style and stay with it. You will also need extensions for the Pixie 16 to the pixels so keep that in mind too, I ran about 150 ft of extensions this year.

I don't have much experience with the Mini Director but if you plan on expanding your show you might want to think about 2 separate networks. Depending on what you have now would determine what Director you should look at or run the show from a computer.

Dangles (AKA Pigtails) tend to be proprietary. (Dumb or Smart strings)  Wired Watts is one of the few that offer interchanger adapters.

If you are fussy about color match quality (many strings used together), buy spares. LOTS and brands vary, just like floor tile

Do your Power (supply) CURRENT  budget. High port count devices may need 2 supplies (it is also preferable to use the Same physical supply for power injection use. Power up sequence stability)

FWIW Bigger (PORT COUNT) is not always better. 16 ports are great for close usage. Unlike AC lights, long cords are not desired (voltage drop and data losses)

17 hours ago, Don said:

Thanks Don. I did explore those but they say they are not compatible or can't be controlled by the CCC II or any of the Pixie controllers? I was thinking of just purchasing a bunch of the CCC II plug n show options but not sure how many I can connect/daisy chain to the mini director?

17 hours ago, Mr. P said:

You will also need to upgrade your license.

Thanks Mr. P. I have yet to even purchase a license as I was not sure what direction this would lead me. 

15 hours ago, TheSignGuy said:

The pixels that come with the Pixie 2's (CCII) are a very good quality and I've had zero issues with them. If and when you have issues, you want a vendor/supplier to be able to help LOR does great job with that. You also have the option to buy most of what you want pre-made from LOR ready to go it will cost you more but again service and support are worth their weight Gold when you need it.

If you go the build it yourself route, I bought my pixels from WELL KNOWN vendors (like Wired Watts and Wally's Lights) I would not skimp of the cheapest pixels I could find for my first dive into pixels. The Pixie 16 (not the **PIXCON 16**) is a great and easy to use pixel controller and you can use just about any 12v power supply and pixels with it. There is sort of a "normal" case if you can find them called a cable guard CG1500 has plenty of room for 1 or 2 power supply's and the controller to fit in. You will also have to decide on the type of pig tails ends you want to use with your Pixie 16, most go with Ray Wu or xConnect or LOR... you have options just pick one style and stay with it. You will also need extensions for the Pixie 16 to the pixels so keep that in mind too, I ran about 150 ft of extensions this year.

I don't have much experience with the Mini Director but if you plan on expanding your show you might want to think about 2 separate networks. Depending on what you have now would determine what Director you should look at or run the show from a computer.

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking to go the LOR route for sure. I'm also not looking to start with a board and build from there. I'm looking at the prebuilt controllers with dangles already added. Wasn't sure about where to purchase good pixel lights as the ones on the LOR site Don mentioned all say they wont work with the controllers? I also new to this so I could be misunderstanding it also... 

28 minutes ago, dackjob2 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking to go the LOR route for sure. I'm also not looking to start with a board and build from there. I'm looking at the prebuilt controllers with dangles already added. Wasn't sure about where to purchase good pixel lights as the ones on the LOR site Don mentioned all say they wont work with the controllers? I also new to this so I could be misunderstanding it also... 

Everything Don linked on the site will work with the pixel controllers. Not sure where you read they will not work with the controllers you mention.

"

• Can be controlled by Pixie4, Pixie8, Pixie16, CCC-II and Pixcon16 devices"

They are not compatible with the original original controller

JR

Edited by dibblejr

34 minutes ago, dackjob2 said:

Thanks Don. I did explore those but they say they are not compatible or can't be controlled by the CCC II or any of the Pixie controllers? I was thinking of just purchasing a bunch of the CCC II plug n show options but not sure how many I can connect/daisy chain to the mini director?

There is a miscommunication somewhere then.

The Ribbons shown on that page are not compatible with the original CCR controller. If you are just starting out, you have never seen one, don't own one, and have nothing to worry about. The Ribbons will work with LOR products.

The CCR-II products http://store.lightorama.com/newcococopac.html work with all of the RGB strands in the original link I posted.

Something else to keep in mind. As you expand you are quickly going to outgrow a mini-director. If you have a large number of RGB pixels planned in your display, then you will want to research the N2G4 or N4G4 directors, or even consider running your show from your computer.

2 hours ago, dackjob2 said:

I think you misread/applied that note. ALL 12V are compatible. It is the Original CC devices (5V) that are a bit odd.

One thing to remember: Pixies only control 1 CHIP type per device (they support various types, but the setting is per device)

If you plan growth: Think about getting a (used/refurb) show (run) computer. It needs to run Windows . It needs USB (2.x) ports. That is it. No need for a powerhous model

💡 By it with Windows Pro , then you can run Remote Desktop connection (Host) on it .

Remote desktop connection client IS FREE and runs on modern versions of Windows (home), Linux, Android and MAC.

Since you need Windows to Sequence 😉 (LOR Licenses are good for multiple PC's that you own, you will need to install it on the Show computer, but you will just move/copy your show files to it)

I agree with the concept of using a show computer rather than a director.  A show computer has FAR more capabilities than a director.  And as TheDucks said, it does not take all that much of a computer to run the show.  I am using a refurb computer that cost me less than the price of ANY director.  It was cheap enough that I have no issues with leaving it powered off for 9 months of the year.  BTW, unless you NEED a laptop, use a desktop PC for this.

Some of the capabilities that a computer offers that no director can handle:

E1.31 networking

Remote monitoring and control - I use TeamViewer (preferred) or VNC

Have computer notify you of show status (ask me how)

Run MIIP software - lets your viewers control the order of songs in the show

Run music software to play music during non-show hours (you can sort of do that on the advanced directors - just ask Orville)

Ability to make limited editing of sequences, or changes to shows or schedules from anywhere with internet access.

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

If you plan growth: Think about getting a (used/refurb) show (run) computer. It needs to run Windows . It needs USB (2.x) ports. That is it. No need for a powerhous model

💡 By it with Windows Pro , then you can run Remote Desktop connection (Host) on it .

Remote desktop connection client IS FREE and runs on modern versions of Windows (home), Linux, Android and MAC.

Since you need Windows to Sequence 😉 (LOR Licenses are good for multiple PC's that you own, you will need to install it on the Show computer, but you will just move/copy your show files to it)

Thanks TheDucks and K6ccc. I did misread that. Gotcha about the computer. I was thinking going the director route would be easier than using a desktop or laptop. Just load a SD card and go ( I know there is more to it than that). I do see where having a cheap computer that has windows and the 2.x usb would allow more ability as everything grows… 

1 hour ago, dackjob2 said:

Thanks TheDucks and K6ccc. I did misread that. Gotcha about the computer. I was thinking going the director route would be easier than using a desktop or laptop. Just load a SD card and go ( I know there is more to it than that). I do see where having a cheap computer that has windows and the 2.x usb would allow more ability as everything grows… 

2USB is not enough. the Keyboard and mouse will use those up (you do need to have those during configuration. then you need to configure Boot to NOT STOP the boot on missing mouse/keyboard/monitor).  6-8 USB is a target (and very common)

5 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Run MIIP software - lets your viewers control the order of songs in the show

@k6ccc Do you have more info on this? I did a quick search and nothing came up.

Sure.  MIIP - Mobile Internet Interactive Playlist allows your viewers to select which of your songs to play sooner or later.  You as the show owner retain a large amount of control, but viewers can pull up and see what songs are coming up next and request a specific song (within limits that you set).  Requires that you are running your show on a PC, and that PC MUST have internet access.  You also have to have at least an Advanced level LOR software license.

http://miip.mobi/help/MemberDocumentation.html

Or contact @ItsMeBobO

Phil beat me to it.

Once my show starts at 5:00 PM PST (about 40 minutes from now as I type this), you can see what it does (from the viewer perspective).  Go to my show at http://wfcl.miip.mobi