Light-O-Rama Forums

I need help understanding why my Pixie16 is shutting down

Dave Trollope

Hi,

I have a small setup running across 2 networks driven by a director (metal case). I have a Pixie16, CTB16, a Pixie2 and a couple of RGB floods.

My Pixie16 is running: an 8 string pixel tree (50 pixels each), 8 CCR-II ribbons (50 pixels each)

This year, the Pixie16 has been shutting down. I created a test sequence which turns on all lights, and it typically comes on and immediately shuts down. Seemed like an over load problem so I made sure its running on its own power circuit. Same thing. I disconnected several of the pixel strings and it ran fine until the next day, and then when the timer came on, it did the same thing and immediately shutdown. A couple of hours later, I unplugged and replugged the controller in and its been working for hours (with the 3 pixel strings disconnected).

I've measured the power consumption and its drawing only 2 amps with all leds on.

The CTB16 is running 10 strings (mixed led / incandescent)

Ideas why the Pixie16 is shutting down like this?

Power1 -> Pixie16

Power2 -> CTB16, Pixie2, Floods

Director network 1 -> Pixie2 -> Pixie16

Director network 2 -> Floods -> CTB16

FYI: I did expand my setup this year to include the CTB16 and floods so the second network is new.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Dave Trollope

I would agree that this sounds like a power problem.  What is the power supply that is feeding the Pixie?  5 volts or 12 volt pixels?

37 minutes ago, Dave Trollope said:

I'm running 12v and have used the standard LOR power supply http://store.lightorama.com/1260waposu.html

That power supply is to small. The pixie16 preassembled comes with a 500W psu. The ones I build have 700-1200 watts.

Every pixie controller I have owned from beta testing v1 2017 - 2020 to the latest all work without fail and I built them all myself. All internal psu's as well.

I would suggest purchasing at least 400 for those 8 strings. I have never seen an external psu that would accommodate a pixie16, nor would I use one.

Another member here did what you did buy had someone build it for him. The "builder" had a similar problem so the purchaser had the builder send it to me. Had the exact same PSU that you have.

The build was bad at best. I rebuilt the entire controller and added 700W psu. I guess that was last year and its been problem free for the guy who purchased ut from the store.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

3 hours ago, Dave Trollope said:

Hi,

I have a small setup running across 2 networks driven by a director (metal case). I have a Pixie16, CTB16, a Pixie2 and a couple of RGB floods.

My Pixie16 is running: an 8 string pixel tree (50 pixels each), 8 CCR-II ribbons (50 pixels each)

This year, the Pixie16 has been shutting down. I created a test sequence which turns on all lights, and it typically comes on and immediately shuts down. Seemed like an over load problem so I made sure its running on its own power circuit. Same thing. I disconnected several of the pixel strings and it ran fine until the next day, and then when the timer came on, it did the same thing and immediately shutdown. A couple of hours later, I unplugged and replugged the controller in and its been working for hours (with the 3 pixel strings disconnected).

I've measured the power consumption and its drawing only 2 amps with all leds on.

Power1 -> Pixie16

Power2 -> CTB16, Pixie2, Floods

D

Cheers

Dave

You seem to be confusing Power IN (Power cord Power) with controller load power (what the connected lights draw from that controller). You do need to pay attention to AC loads or the breaker will trip (or the extension cords get hot), but LINE side does not seem to be this issue.

You say 8 strings on the Tree. 8 * 36 W (I used HC bullets value)  = 288W  and that is just the one bank.  Poor PSU, it tried, but it is way undersized  for running both banks (I don't have CCR power requirements handy, but I would be surprised if they were a whole lot less) You need another PSU for the other BANK or one of the monsters  JR uses 😛

Ok, thanks for the info, thats good insight. I'm using 15w strings http://store.lightorama.com/12vblsqpi50c.html so thats only 120w.

For the other 8 ribbons, I've been using http://store.lightorama.com/cocoriiic.html and I'm not clear on their wattage - I thought they were lower - any one have a reference?

I could certainly see crossing the 200w limit of the PSU. When I built the controller, I was only using 8 strings, so I forgot about the PSU rating when I added the additional pixels.

I am confused why it has worked so well in the past though.

As a noob I used the PSU on the LOR store - I don't see higher rated ones for sale their. I could add a second, but I doubt the enclosure would have room. Any recommendations for where to buy higher rated PSUs in the US? I can search but if someone has a recommendation, that would be great.

28 minutes ago, Dave Trollope said:

Ok, thanks for the info, thats good insight. I'm using 15w strings http://store.lightorama.com/12vblsqpi50c.html so thats only 120w.

For the other 8 ribbons, I've been using http://store.lightorama.com/cocoriiic.html and I'm not clear on their wattage - I thought they were lower - any one have a reference?

I could certainly see crossing the 200w limit of the PSU. When I built the controller, I was only using 8 strings, so I forgot about the PSU rating when I added the additional pixels.

As a noob I used the PSU on the LOR store - I don't see higher rated ones for sale their. I could add a second, but I doubt the enclosure would have room. Any recommendations for where to buy higher rated PSUs in the US? I can search but if someone has a recommendation, that would be great.

Kind of late to be ordering a PSU. It might not arrive Before the holiday (at least, without OMG Air Freight charges).

The total wattage listed is for All White at 100% intensity. You might have been squeaking by because you never went past the magic (PSU collapse) threshold. Good design, is to keep long term loads below 80% of the power source. Repeated pushes past 100% will lead to shortened life.

You said "built the controller". We have no idea on what case you used, how much volume is available.  There are 2 general types in the higher power range.  enclosed Frame (mounts inside case where it is protected from weather) and weather resistant. I happen to us a pair of 33A weather resistant from HC to power 2 CMB24 for my 16 dumb string tree (36W per string) , because I mount the off the back of my pole mounted CG1500, I still have room inside for another, (lightly loaded) controller 😛.

As to where? Your best bet is a Local source. Maybe a fellow Lighter has a spare. or you have a nearby PARTS supply house (When I lived in the Bay Area, I could will call at Jameco within an hour of a phone order)

3 hours ago, Dave Trollope said:

Amazon can probably get you a 500W and may be quick shipping. If you want one faster I believe I have plenty and enclosure (if you only have a small enclosure". I fit  a pixie16 mounted on top of psu in a cg1500 for the guy I mentioned above. That was something he purchased and didnt want to buy a larger one from me. I can sell you along with an extra item I add which is an external data port.

Or I can build you an entire pixie8 or 16. LOL

You schedule and pay UPS to pick it up at my house that way there is no confussion on shipping. Note I only use and have "internal" enclosures.

PM me if interested in any of the options. 

JR

@TheDucksI think you are right, I was squeaking by with lightweight effects (power wise). This year I created a test sequence the maxed everything and put it at the start of my show stressing it.  I should have been clearer, everything I’ve bought is from LOR, their enclosure, psu. I’m still learning alternatives...  thanks for the help.