Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 Motion Row Issue

gsmith37064

@MattBrown

Create a single fade 5 grids long
Insert Motion Row
Select Colorwash
Select 2 colors White and Green (in that order)
Select Verical gradient
And OK

The motion effect is the way I want it.
Drag it up 4 rows for a total of 5 rows.
It should stay white and green all the way up. But it gets lighter and lighter till the last row is all green.

The horizontal gradient works just fine. So I expect the vertical to do the same... I think I am done with this till S6 comes out...

Edited by gsmith37064

Greg, please better describe what you are trying to do.  Your directions are pretty vague.  Let's start with the first line.  Fade up or down, and on a single pixel, single row of a multi-line prop, on an entire prop?   On a motion effects row, or on channels?

Then insert motion row - on the same prop, another prop?  At the same time or a different time location?

The part about creating the motion effect is pretty straight forward.  The vertical color wash does what I expect it to do on both my P10 matrix and my pixel tree - but you said that part worked for you as well.  I don't get what you are trying to accomplish.

What do you mean by "drag it up 4 rows"?  I really don't know what you mean by that.  Are you trying to copy and paste it onto four more motion effects rows?  On the same prop or a different prop?  Or something else?  Is this including the original fade?

If you follow the steps, its spot on.

create a fade 5 grid squares long.

Right click on it and select insert motion row effect

Select Colorwash
Select 2 colors White and Green (in that order)
Select Verical gradient
And OK

Now drag the new effect up for rows. basically copy it 4 more times so you now have 5. They should all be the same 2 colors. White and green from bottom to top. The bottom one is correct and the white gets lighter and lighter till it hits the top row. The its solid green. If you need a video, I can do one for you. The horizontal works perfect in the effect. It's just the vertical one that does not.

Regular copy and paste works as intended. Never even occured to me to drag an effect to duplicate it, I've always selected the effect and used copy and paste.

Props that are one pixel high have no vertical dimension and stay at the first color.

27 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Regular copy and paste works as intended. Never even occured to me to drag an effect to duplicate it, I've always selected the effect and used copy and paste.

Props that are one pixel high have no vertical dimension and stay at the first color.

No it does not work with the effect shown above else I would not be posting this. A lot of them DO WORK, but this one does not.

It's clear that you did not try it. 🤔

If you do the horizontal one, it works as intended. If you do the vertical one, it does not.

Edited by gsmith37064

Greg, I asked specific questions because your original description did not give enough details.  The only added detail was inserting a motion effect that will overwrite the fade.  So what was the point of the fade?  And I still have no idea what you mean by "drag it up".  I gather that you are trying to use a "different" method for copy and paste.  But I do not get what you mean by drag it up.  I can not get Sequencer do anything at all with what I think you are trying to do.  All it does is change what cells are selected...  And are you trying to do this alternate copy/paste function to another prop, other motion effects rows on the same prop, something else?

I have been trying what  think you are trying to do on my pixel tree and P10 matrix.  If I should be using something else, let me know.

16 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Greg, I asked specific questions because your original description did not give enough details.  The only added detail was inserting a motion effect that will overwrite the fade.  So what was the point of the fade?  And I still have no idea what you mean by "drag it up".  I gather that you are trying to use a "different" method for copy and paste.  But I do not get what you mean by drag it up.  I can not get Sequencer do anything at all with what I think you are trying to do.  All it does is change what cells are selected...  And are you trying to do this alternate copy/paste function to another prop, other motion effects rows on the same prop, something else?

I have been trying what  think you are trying to do on my pixel tree and P10 matrix.  If I should be using something else, let me know.

I will do a video later on and show you.

Select chase from the toolbar and just drag the effect up so it duplicates it. It's a lot like copy paste but much quicker. I also do chases like this.

ALL THIS WORKS FOR OTHER EFFECTS. Just this one setting does not. I have also tried to do a normal copy and paste and got the same results. The vertical gradient does not work correctly.

I have spent an entire weekend playing with different effects so I know pretty well which ones seem to work as intended, and which does not.

@k6ccc

I did 2 videos. 1st is showing how to create the motion row effect and drag the chase. The 2nd shows the outcome color as they change. I would expect this to work like the horizontal setting.

Create the motion row effect and drag it (chase)
https://youtu.be/47L8bpq4C50

The 5 boxes should be the same color, but they are not. They fade from dark to light.
https://youtu.be/PTnSASzIk8Q

Edited by gsmith37064

Well that time you added just enough so that I think I know what you are trying to do with your "drag it up".  Assuming I understand it right, I had to find a place in my setup where I could test it.  I have six candy canes that are 16 pixels each.  I did the original fade and then motion effect on the bottom candy cane.  It looked as I expected with the bottom of the candy cane white and turning green as I go to the top.  Then  did your chase method to copy that to the next four candy canes.  Each one looks exactly the same.

And I still don't get the point of the fade.  You create the fade and then overwrite that with the motion effect (which eliminates the fade).  What is the point of the fade?

You add the fade. But the fade is not important. Ignore the fade. Not sure why you are stuck on the fade as It's the effect that I am having issues with. Not the fade.

Even if you leave the fade out, it still does the same thing. So let's forget the fade.

I do not have this issue with my other motion effects. Just this one setting. It does work correctly when you select horizontal. I would expect vertical to work the same.

My Moana sequence uses the horizontal settings and it worked great for the length of the song. I thought I would try something different in this new sequence. And so here I am...

Edited by gsmith37064

I kept asking about the fade because you listed that as the first step.

Having watched your video, I see you also failed to mention a couple other steps.  However, when exactly duplicating your steps (other than using my 16 pixel candy canes), mine works exactly as expected.

Yet mine does not on this one setting. I agree that we both should be seeing the same thing. But if you followed the video (which it sounds like you did) and got the correct results, that would be the expected solution. You can see in the video that I am not getting what is expected.

So I shall call it another bug that I am hitting

Edited by gsmith37064

2 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

No it does not work with the effect shown above else I would not be posting this. A lot of them DO WORK, but this one does not.

It's clear that you did not try it. 🤔

If you do the horizontal one, it works as intended. If you do the vertical one, it does not

As a matter of fact ,I DID try it. I agree with your observation. 

I just don't see the advantage of doing a drag copy over a regular copy and paste.

Doing the drag puts you at the mercy of unintended effects due to different prop configurations. Doing a copy and multiple paste is just as quick and WORKS.

Seems to me you are going out of your way to find obscure issues to complain about. No one seems able to help you so...

I'm out 

Because if you read the thread... a copy paste does the same in this instance. Plus a drag is much faster then copy... paste...copy paste... Plus to get a chase I would have to figure out the grid count. This is not viable so a chase is the way to go. And no... It does not work in this case either. How is it obscure? It' a normal function. So LOR gives us the tools to do it... but you consider it obscure because you don't sequence like I do. Gotcha... 😅

Edited by gsmith37064

When did chase come into this. We were talking copy and paste and duplication .

Have you even seen paste special 

I'm still going with obscure and adding convoluted for good measure.

Because if you watched the video... I did a chase. Plus It says chase all over this thread.

Paste special will not give me the exact grid length of the next beat. It changes. so I did a copy paste, I would have to still do a new chase to get it even else it would go over to the next beat.

Edited by gsmith37064

Before you get too defensive, you had not mentioned that you were trying to do a chase.  We're not mind readers.  BTW, this is not uncommon when people are trying to explain something.  They know what they meant, but leave out enough that no one else knows what they mean.  Not unique to this description.  It would appear neither Phil nor I were able to read between the lines enough to understand that you meant to go into chase mode.  And BTW, I happen to be one of those people that extensively uses keyboard shortcuts, so I don't think I have EVER selected chase.  I always select the area and type h.  To test your example, I did so that I was as exactly duplicating your test.

I still would like to know what you are doing different such that you get different results.  Dollars to donuts that this is something in setup or configuration and not a bug.

Either way, this is not something that can be fixed by a normal user. A dev will need to dig deeper to see why it's not working as intended across the board for all users...

We already know that S5 works differently from user to user.

If it works with the horizontal setting... why not with the vertical? This is not a config thing.

You lose 7 months of work and tell me how you feel...

Edited by gsmith37064

5 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Because if you watched the video... I did a chase. Plus It says chase all over this thread.

Your video was not mentioned until your 5th post and you did not utter the word chase until your 4th post.  We're not mind readers.  After you said it was a chase that started to open the door, and the video fully explained it.  All the discussion about copy and past was BEFORE you mentioned chase.  Again, we're not mind readers.  Sometimes (maybe even often), unsaid parts can be inferred when speaking in person (non-verbal clues), but those do not work in written communication.  Ya gotta tell us what you mean.

• Like 1

I did tell you, but you did not understand. Sometimes it may take a little bit to get there before we are all on the same page. But we got there... Who cares if it took 5 posts? That's nothing in the grand scheme of things. I have 2 tickets opened with LOR and have not heard a peep in weeks. Now that's something...