Light-O-Rama Forums

Hand Held Dumb RGB Tester

jfuller8400

Hi All,

I have a lot of dumb RGB elements in my display and always struggled when I needed to test/troubleshoot them.  I would usually need to haul out my show computer, controller, and associated cables, which got to be a lot of stuff just to troubleshoot one device.  So in the midst of juggling all of that equipment one time, I finally had that light-bulb moment of why don't I just build a hand held tester.  So that's what I did and made the following video of the assembly process:

Hand Held RGB Tester Assembly

This year was the first time I really got to use it and it's been a real lifesaver.

If you have dumb RGB elements I highly recommend creating something like this.

Joel

Great video and nice job on the Tester @jfuller8400 now if you had built it back in September I might have had time to do my own, lol...

So @PhilMassey are you telling me I can simply take a 9-volt battery, hook the negative wire to the black and the positive to r/g/b to light one of them up and make sure I didn't break anything?

48 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

So @PhilMassey are you telling me I can simply take a 9-volt battery, hook the negative wire to the black and the positive to r/g/b to light one of them up and make sure I didn't break anything?

Yep. except that the positive should go to the black, assuming positive anode.

Edited by PhilMassey

On my spelling of Christmas each of the letters are wired individually. I can get some to light up, but not others. Of course the plug ends seem cheap and some might be bad so I need to strip the wire back a little to test. The worst is the letter I was most worried about lights. Letters I felt good about I'm struggling with, but it is too hard to hold two wires to a battery and get them to touch the led wires. I'm scouring the house now to see if I have some old toy that has that 9-volt clip and wiring on it. I was going to make everyone unsafe and rip apart one of the smoke detectors, but the battery snaps into those so it doesn't have the clip-on end. I tried to see if they sold that at home depot, but I get a million responses searching 9-volt and I don't know if it has a real name.

My wife has some led string lights that use 3 AA batteries. I wonder if I can chop the box for that and wires off and use that, because then I can heat shrink it back on.

And now to search through a million posts to find that one where it tells me which soldering iron/solder I need to order from Amazon. :(

I have plenty of strips left over to fix any that I may have (did) screw up. Just no way to solder wire to them, lol...

Edited by MichRX7

I may have hurt the wire ends when I was pulling them through the vinyl tubing (crosses fingers) Then I won't have to restring, just cut back a bit of the tubing and fix the wires.

Since All my Dumb strings (except LOR 10W floods) , I just use an old UPS battery (no capacity) and the matching HC pigtail (all leads have 1/4 Fastons) with the Black (+), attached to the battery. I just touch the R,G or B to the - , but I can push the Faston onto the terminal if I have to fuss with the lights.   I added foam, camper seal tape to the battery bottom, when it wanted to slide on the roof

Change the pigtail to LOR, and I can focus my floods individually

Personally, two years with strips was enough for me, between the soldering and the fragility, I gave up on them and went to nodes.

Yeah, I see that now. Too late and out of budget to back out this year. Either I abandon the Merry Christmas letters or get it fixed in the next two weeks. I'm hoping I can do the letters without breaks because it looks really good with my sequencing in the visualizer.

Dear @jfuller8400, I apologize for freaking out and hijacking your thread. Now I for sure want to watch your video and make the tester box.

Thanks for the assist all, my neighbor who does hvac concocted a simple 9v tester for me and I am ecstatic to say all my letters actually do work.

3 hours ago, MichRX7 said:

On my spelling of Christmas each of the letters are wired individually. I can get some to light up, but not others. Of course the plug ends seem cheap and some might be bad so I need to strip the wire back a little to test. The worst is the letter I was most worried about lights. Letters I felt good about I'm struggling with, but it is too hard to hold two wires to a battery and get them to touch the led wires. I'm scouring the house now to see if I have some old toy that has that 9-volt clip and wiring on it. I was going to make everyone unsafe and rip apart one of the smoke detectors, but the battery snaps into those so it doesn't have the clip-on end. I tried to see if they sold that at home depot, but I get a million responses searching 9-volt and I don't know if it has a real name.

Yes, they are called: Fully Insulated 9V Battery Snap Connectors (5-Pack)

Description: 

9V snap connectors for replacements one or projects with a PVC flexible housing.

• Has color-coded wire leads and also attaches to our battery holders that have snap connectors.
  • Package of five.
  • Flexible housing allows fitting in small enclosures.
  • Wire leads in between positive & negative snap connector terminals.

Radio Shack site lists them at this link: 9V battery Connectors

Wow, $5.00 now for a 5 pack, I used to get these same 9V connectors for $0.99¢

Unfortunately, Radio Shack says they are currently Out Of Stock On-Line.  But now you know what to look for and what they're called when you do a search to see if you can find them.

Good Luck.

EDIT: Found them on Amazon at this link: 9V Battery Clip l Type

This is 2 for $3.99 and FREE SHIPPING from Amazon.

Edited by Orville

19 hours ago, Orville said:

Nice tester.  How well or does that work with smart RGB pixel or smart RGB bulb strands?

Its for dumb RGB only - not smart pixels or bulbs.

5 hours ago, MichRX7 said:

Dear @jfuller8400, I apologize for freaking out and hijacking your thread. Now I for sure want to watch your video and make the tester box.

Thanks for the assist all, my neighbor who does hvac concocted a simple 9v tester for me and I am ecstatic to say all my letters actually do work.

No problem. 😀  Your new props look pretty cool!