Light-O-Rama Forums

transmitter group buy for LOR members 8/2 thru 11/30

taybrynn

Jeff140 wrote:

I'm part of batch #7 and recieved mine today via USPS ( I used my nine digit zip code when I ordered - speeds things up in the post office).

Are you sure your not part of batch 6? Batch 7 just ended friday 3 days ago. If you are part of batch 7, That was fast, I hime mine is that fast hehe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clickable link:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum80/17092.html

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• doublea

• mmaness

• John Hertig

I might also be in batch six and not seven, but don't remember for sure. I ordered it on August 27th and according to the updates I thought it would be arriving soon. I am a little concerned that my wife found the mailbox, which is at the street, opened when she got home from work yesterday. I am anxious to try it out since I was thinking of ordering a second one for a back up before the sale ends.

Lou

:shock: I was excited to get to the mailbox and open it before the wife saw the shipping box where she would of exclaimed "now what"!!!!:X

I'm sorry if I got anyones hopes up by claiming it was batch seven... just a typo on my part!

I'll add a photo of how I held the power jack in-place to solder it to the board.

Jeff

Attached files 157726=9137-supported.jpg

Jeff, that was the same technique I used for holding it in place. I also tried painters tape, but it wasn't any easier. I'd really like soldering if my hands were steady.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a wife who says "now what did you get?!" ...

I received my Batch #6 today in California. Was going to put it together without looking at instructions but I did just to make sure the socket was in correct before i plugged in the IC. Super easy to finish up.

Set the freq and hooked to a portable CD player line out. It worked but audio was a little distorted. I did not adjust the level controls. and listened on a boom box radio.

Then i hooked it to the headphone jack for speakers on the computer and turned on the downstairs stereo Tuner. Had a Hum and the music was a little soft. So i guess the headphone jack on the computer speakers are a little lite to drive it and the antenna was to close to the speakers.

Tomorrow i will hook it to the Computer Line out and adjust the level controls and put the unit up where it should be for the LOR show. So far i am very happy with the well constructed unit. Nice and Solid metal case.

Steve

Steve,

You might also try moving the transmitter as far from any possible sources of interference ... a 1/8" (headphone) extension cord can be quite helpful in putting the transmitter into an ideal location.

How did you have the antenna oriented?

Just be sure to always have an antenna plugged in when in use.

Scott

I received mine from batch #6 in Minnesota yesterday. I only had time to check for open frequencies and am hoping to assemble and test it today. Is it common to have a back up transmitter? I was thinking of purchasing a second one, but want to test the first one before doing that.

It is a good idea to have a backup ... but I don't have one myself either, due to the cost and my limited budget.

I think ideally, everyone should have a backup controller and transmitter ... but thats not cheap or possible always. The good thing is these have pretty great resale value and the EDM' are hard to get in the states, so selling the backup unit would be easy, if you really needed the $$.

I think a lot of folks replaced something 'marginal' (or just cheap) that they went with in the first year or two. So then that original unit might become the backup unit once they get the EDM.

The funny thing is that MOST folks buying the EDM say its to serve as a backup transmitter ... then after they listen to it ... it usually becomes the primary transmitter!! Thats a story I've heard a lot ... there are probably exceptions.

I am seeing the guys with very elaborate setups ... typically are the ones getting backup units ... because they know how devastating a controller or transmitter loss can be ...

Being a newbie myself, I'm still pretending it'll never happen to me ...

Well I finally got to hook up my new EDM LCD to the computer and put it on the bookcase where it will transmit from. The antenna is about 3 feet from the front of the computer and hangs down from about 7 feet to 3 feet above the floor on the second story of my house vertical polarity.

There is no Hum now, all is quite and the audio sounds great. The seperation really made the difference

I'm all set for transmiting the music, now i just need to get all those pumpkins setup and finsih the schedule. I'm glad i decided on EDM. I don't think i would have had time to finsh the Ramsey FM100B in time for Halloween. Maybe i'll try that for a backup next year - I do enjoy the building part but this fit the bill for this year and could not have been any easier. Thanks for putting this together for all of us.

Steve "The Haunted Hills of Vista"