Light-O-Rama Forums

transmitter group buy for LOR members 8/2 thru 11/30

taybrynn

taybrynn wrote:

Oddly enough, one of the bigger problems is people leaving the transmitter on 24x7 ...

I'm always surprised how people ask about antennas, nevertheless.

I always love to use a small army of timers to keep my show %100 off when I dont need it.

Last year I used this: ~$12

e38186e8-7e57-42fc-a6b8-c8adfb706906_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100018745&N=10000003+90401+500025

It worked well because I ran my show diffrent hours on the weekends, a normal timer would not allow diffrent times for diffrent days of the week, Including this thing is way more accurate, the timers that use a physical rotator to trip tiny pins.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• doublea

• mmaness

• John Hertig

[align=left]Great idea doublea ... I think I'll use that solution myself.[/align][align=left]Folks, my apologies if your still waiting for your transmitter to arrive.[/align][align=left]Thanks for your patience.
[/align][align=left]biggrin.gif BATCH#7 - 5 of 10 orders confirmed biggrin.gif[/align][align=left]PM me if you want the sale link, just mention your first name and that your would like the sale link.
[/align][align=left]http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/pm.php?send_to=taybrynn
[/align]

taybrynn wrote:

[align=left]Folks, my apologies if your still waiting for your transmitter to arrive.[/align]
[align=left]Thanks for your patience.
[/align]

Mine 'might' have arrived on Tuesday. I had it shipped w/insurance, so it requires a signature. I have one of the little cards that said they attempted to deliver, but since no one is home, it's at the post office waiting personal pickup. I won't be able to pick the package up until Saturday, so I don't know if the package is the transmitter or not.

Thanks for the updates.

I've been getting word that batch#5 transmitters have just
started arriving the last couple days.

If your in batch#6 ... it's hard to say for sure, but your about 2 weeks
behind batch#5 based on when the two batches closed.

Thats why encourage people to not wait too long if they are interested in this deal, as 1-month wait is probably the worst case ... so back up a month from when you need it and try to get in before then, so your not stuck in a bind later on.

Hi Taybrynn,

I just got home from work and my transmitter was in the mailbox. WHOO HOOO!!:D

I was in batch #5. It was boxed nicely and no signs of being mishandled in the mail. No instructions? I'm glad I got the ones you sent me Scott. Now to solder and test. I can't wait!
Thanks Again Scott for putting this together. It was a great deal.

Scrubs63/Wes

Scrubs63 wrote:

No instructions? I'm glad I got the ones you sent me Scott.
Scrubs63/Wes

EDM is a "green" company, the only instructions you recive is the 6 page (very usefull) pdf file via email, if you dont get the email though, the pdf can be found as an attacment to this thread.

Yes, the instructions, or lack of printed ones in the box is the #1 complaint I hear from members.

And then the problem in getting the .pdf instructions emailed from EDM (because of spam filters either on the ISP or on the desktop) has also been problematic.

This is why I posted the instructions on this thread for downloading ... I guess you could say were being green, eh?!

I asked EDM about it and they said it was part of promise they made to some local officials to cut down on paper waste products ... and they also seem to genuinely care about things like that ... so thats where it stands. They also mention employing some very poor S. Africans ... and their economy (and currency) never really recovered after sanctions ended and apartheid ended. It seems (to me) like some really good people working there.

The product is so simple you hardly need instructions. Besides the minimal soldering of 3 points on the power connector, you just have to be careful how you insert the IC chip ... a couple people have fried the chip putting it in backwards, but even then ... EDM fixed it for them not problem. That says a lot about this company, its support and its desire to make us (the customers) happy.

Lets get this batch#7 going ... Christmas is coming faster than you think!

Scott

taybrynn wrote:

Yes, the instructions, or lack of printed ones in the box is the #1 complaint I hear from members.

And then the problem in getting the .pdf instructions emailed from EDM (because of spam filters either on the ISP or on the desktop) has also been problematic.

This is why I posted the instructions on this thread for downloading ... I guess you could say were being green, eh?!

I asked EDM about it and they said it was part of promise they made to some local officials to cut down on paper waste products ... and they also seem to genuinely care about things like that ... so thats where it stands. They also mention employing some very poor S. Africans ... and their economy (and currency) never really recovered after sanctions ended and apartheid ended. It seems (to me) like some really good people working there.

The product is so simple you hardly need instructions. Besides the minimal soldering of 3 points on the power connector, you just have to be careful how you insert the IC chip ... a couple people have fried the chip putting it in backwards, but even then ... EDM fixed it for them not problem. That says a lot about this company, its support and its desire to make us (the customers) happy.

Lets get this batch#7 going ... Christmas is coming faster than you think!

Scott

Christmas? im still Thinking about Haloween here :D I still have 5 weeks and 4 days before I need my transmitter. At the rate batch 7 is going, I should be fine :) And im in CA.

If the biggest problem that buyers have, is that it does't have printed instructions, That says quite a bit to me, Like if the lack of a physical instruciton set is the biggest problem, their isnt many other problems.

I agree ... its a loosing position for EDM to take, IMHO.

The 10 page manual wouldn't make a significant difference in
shipping weight or cost, IMHO.

I have tried to change their position on this, but haven't had
any luck.

Scrubs63 wrote:

Hi doublea,

I am all for being "GREEN" but when I am paying $170.00 dollars for something, I expect some instructions.

Scrubs63

Im not trying to make you shut up, or tell you to accept they are green, I was just letting you know of the reason, I agree with you 100% on that.

But again - You buy a $3000 mac laptop, all you get is a warrenty card, that made me mad, now their is a company that makes the "missing manual for mac"

http://missingmanuals.com/

I received my transmitter, did the minor assembly required, and it's DOA. Deader'n a doornail.

I checked to see that the chip was installed in the correct direction (it is), I resoldered the power socket connections just to make certain that I don't have a cold solder joint (haven't had one in several years, but you never know). And it still doesn't work.

While I don't know how good this unit is, I guess I'm about to find out how good their service is.

This isn't an advertisement, etc, but for you fence sitters out there that are planning to order one, be sure to not only allow yourself plenty of time to receive the unit (3 weeks or so), but also to have any problems resolved.

I'll let everyone know how well their warranty is, service is, etc.

Mike Maness

mmaness wrote:

I received my transmitter, did the minor assembly required, and it's DOA. Deader'n a doornail.

I checked to see that the chip was installed in the correct direction (it is), I resoldered the power socket connections just to make certain that I don't have a cold solder joint (haven't had one in several years, but you never know). And it still doesn't work.

While I don't know how good this unit is, I guess I'm about to find out how good their service is.

This isn't an advertisement, etc, but for you fence sitters out there that are planning to order one, be sure to not only allow yourself plenty of time to receive the unit (3 weeks or so), but also to have any problems resolved.

I'll let everyone know how well their warranty is, service is, etc.

Mike Maness

I guess this will be an intresting chance to find out how their support is, Sorry to hear that happend.

Wow! This is interesting.

I sent an e-mail to the link in the instructions, and the e-mail bounced back. It's a dead e-mail box.

I also searched on the EDM site for any kind of support link, and found nothing - only sales. Interesting ...

EDM Customer Service? Ha! You can't call this ordinary customer service -- it's far greater than anything I've experienced before.

I sent an e-mail to EDM's sales link, plus posted on their yahoo group. I received a reply from EDM using both methods.

They gave me a few things to test out, and the final part did the job. And, as I suspected from the beginning, it was my stupid fault to begin with.

Here's the deal: I know to put the notch that's on the chip with the notch that's on the socket. That's basic. But as I saw the photo, the notch was to go in a different direction. Of course this is incorrect, but that's how I saw the photo.

And no, I haven't been drinking!

What was happening was that I was seeing the photo and referencing how I was holding the board - although the direction I was holding the board was different from the direction that the photo was taken. So, of course, I got the chip backwards!

In my defense, at the time I was doing assembly, I was also looking out the window at the remains of hurrycane Ike shoving rain sideways in my back yard.

Anyway, it now works - and EDM answered my e-mail/post quicker than anything I've ever experienced before. I haven't tested the unit, yet, but if the level of customer service is any indication, folks, you have absolutely nothing to worry about - these guys will take very good care of you.

Mike Maness, Forney, Texas

mmaness wrote:

EDM Customer Service? Ha! You can't call this ordinary customer service -- it's far greater than anything I've experienced before.

I sent an e-mail to EDM's sales link, plus posted on their yahoo group. I received a reply from EDM using both methods.

They gave me a few things to test out, and the final part did the job. And, as I suspected from the beginning, it was my stupid fault to begin with.

Here's the deal: I know to put the notch that's on the chip with the notch that's on the socket. That's basic. But as I saw the photo, the notch was to go in a different direction. Of course this is incorrect, but that's how I saw the photo.

And no, I haven't been drinking!

What was happening was that I was seeing the photo and referencing how I was holding the board - although the direction I was holding the board was different from the direction that the photo was taken. So, of course, I got the chip backwards!

In my defense, at the time I was doing assembly, I was also looking out the window at the remains of hurrycane Ike shoving rain sideways in my back yard.

Anyway, it now works - and EDM answered my e-mail/post quicker than anything I've ever experienced before. I haven't tested the unit, yet, but if the level of customer service is any indication, folks, you have absolutely nothing to worry about - these guys will take very good care of you.

Mike Maness, Forney, Texas

So the dead email box was a real one?

Glad to hear it wasnt DOA. And soo glad you didnt fry the board itself!

Glad to hear support is good, Now if only batch 7 would hurry up :P

Thanks for keeping us posted.

doublea wrote:

So the dead email box was a real one?

Glad to hear it wasnt DOA. And soo glad you didnt fry the board itself!

Glad to hear support is good, Now if only batch 7 would hurry up :P

Thanks for keeping us posted.

The dead e-mail box was not a real e-mail box. I should have mentioned that I sent an e-mail to them by going to their website, clicking on 'order', and seeing a link to 'contact us'.

The links on their instruction sheet are no good. Both the link for their sales address and the Yahoo! users group are no good. Also - there is no link on their website for any customer service. So you do have to hunt around a bit to get to them.

Once you do gain contact with them, their service is excellent. I just wish they would update their links on their instruction attachment, and provide an easier to get to link on their website. This is possibly an omission on their part, and does NOT indicate a lack of willingness to help in any way possible!

EDM support email should be:

edm@global.co.za

And my own experience with EDM yahoo group is that they respond very fast there as well.

I'm very glad they took care of you quickly ... but that is amazingly quite a typical response from them ... I don't how they do it!!

Can you PM me with the email address(es) that bounced so that I can forward it to EDM? They are very proactive an getting things fixed when you point out a problem to them.

You are certainly not the person to insert the IC chip backwards this year ... my link here shows the proper way to insert to IC chip: http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum6/22473.html

Basically, the notched side of the IC chip should face the LCD display and the other side (the flat side) should face the (2) black tuner control buttons.

As I was tuning the transmitter to the frequency that I use, I noticed one interesting thing. The transmitter tunes in .1khz increments. FM frequencies in the U.S. are in .2khz increments, and always an odd number (100.1, 98.7, etc).

So be careful when choosing a frequency, 'cause with the EDM transmitter, you can quite easily tune between channels to one of the even frequencies. With analog FM receivers, it's no big deal. But most are digital nowadays (car radios), and will only tune to the exact "odd" frequency.

YMMV