Light-O-Rama Forums

New products to be delivered in August September 2008

LightORamaJohn

The Chinese have about the same economic problems we have...were feeling it from every end...lol

However, that board looks rather impressive. Those capacitors are HUGE. I am looking at and can't seem to find the outputs. Does the board have two sides...AC and DC? How will the LED's attach? Will we be able to control RGB LED's via this device?

Now, is there a brochure for the DIO 32 as well?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ponddude

• -klb-

• LightORamaJohn

• lesm

John,

Thanks for the prompt reply. That was just the info I was looking for. Now I await your announcement of availability. . . . . or even limited availability.

Thanks

Theron

Ponddude wrote:

The Chinese have about the same economic problems we have...were feeling it from every end...lol

However, that board looks rather impressive. Those capacitors are HUGE. I am looking at and can't seem to find the outputs. Does the board have two sides...AC and DC? How will the LED's attach? Will we be able to control RGB LED's via this device?

Now, is there a brochure for the DIO 32 as well?

It usually takes some big capacitors to make variable frequency 120VAC for the pumps....

There appears to be a row of terminals across the top, that could be the DC channels, but difficult to tell for sure..

Probably the key specs to focus on are the 240W per pump limit, and the 1A per LED or 2.5A total limit on the 12V..

As for RGB support, with 6 channels, you would only get two RGB sets. However, from what is in the brochure, I don't see anything to indicate if you need common anode LEDs, like with the DC card, or common cathode, if the positive supply were switched. Of course, if you have six lead RGB LEDs, you are set to do it either way...

Davidt wrote:

Thanks for the info. The brochure talks about support for 120VAC pumps. Do you know if the controller is designed to support 240VAC operation as well?

The fountain controller will be produced in two versions. One for 90-120 vac and one for 220-240 vac. There are a few component differences so this is not a jumper option.

The screw terminals on the upper right are for 6 channels of common anode LEDs -- very much like the CMB16D. There are quick connects near the left and right edges for the pump motors.

The DIO32 is actually in use commercially. It will be availabe during the June sale.

I wish I could give a date for the fountain controller, but am afraid because of the China manufacturing unknowns. Dan and I have spoken about a limited production run here in the US, but the board is quite complex so the build cost is higher than previous controllers and we're not sure if people want it that badly.

LightORamaJohn wrote:

Davidt wrote:
Thanks for the info.  The brochure talks about support for 120VAC pumps.  Do you know if the controller is designed to support 240VAC operation as well?

The fountain controller will be produced in two versions. One for 90-120 vac and one for 220-240 vac. There are a few component differences so this is not a jumper option.

The screw terminals on the upper right are for 6 channels of common anode LEDs -- very much like the CMB16D. There are quick connects near the left and right edges for the pump motors.

The DIO32 is actually in use commercially. It will be availabe during the June sale.

I wish I could give a date for the fountain controller, but am afraid because of the China manufacturing unknowns. Dan and I have spoken about a limited production run here in the US, but the board is quite complex so the build cost is higher than previous controllers and we're not sure if people want it that badly.

Not to get off the topic of the fountain controller...cause I am sure I will own serveral of them at one point or another...but can we talk about the DIO32 a little more.

It's great to know that it will be on sale during June sale. However, do you have a completed manual, a pricing point or even an idea of an earlier release? I had spoken to Dan last week and he gave me a lot of great info regarding it. I just need one ASAP to run my 10 servos. The more info, the better I will be...I will even be able to start to sequence.

LightORamaJohn wrote:

The fountain controller will be produced in two versions. One for 90-120 vac and one for 220-240 vac. There are a few component differences so this is not a jumper option.

Excellent news. Thanks for the info and quick reply John.

Cheers,

davidt, Australia

LightORamaJohn wrote:

John,

I sent you a PM.

We're your target market, give us a balpark price for a limited US production run and I'm sure you'll find out our committment level.

I think we all understand that this board will not have the same universal appeal as the lighting and servo boards so recovering the engineering and design costs will also make the price higher. That being said, we're all a bunch of "do-it-yourselfers" so price is always a question.

BTW Is this board too complicated for a few "self assembly" units, perhaps without all the fancy step by step instructions?

Theron

It would be an "interesting" kit to assemble, as it appears to be 90% SMT chips, including a pair what look to be at least 44 lead packages...

I'll pass on the kit...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

joshua wrote:

are they really going to bring back the strip light controllers that i wanted so bad 3 years ago?

any word on these at all. i heard someone mention them a while back but nothing since.

Just a heads up for those planning on using on using the pump controllers. from my extensive background in saltwater fish tanks, Magnetic drive pumps do not like to go from on to off constantly. this will cause them to fail over time. most of the wavemaker controllers they sell simulate a quick fade up and down to protect the pumps. Keep this in mind when sequencing for these.

bob

msbreton wrote:
Is there any way we can get more details on the fountain controller early? How will it connect to the LoR network? Will it work with S2 now or will there need to be an S2 upgrade? Will pumps be sold at the same time from LoR or should we plan on using any magnetic pump?

-Mike

It appears on the LOR network just like any other LOR controller. It has unit address switches and network connections just like a LOR1602W. The first three channels control three 120 VAC sockets designed for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors (PMSM.) You must not plug other types of devices into these sockets. The pump motor is part of the circuit.

PMSM refers to the motor technology and is the type commonly used in pond pumps. The type of motor to impeller connection (magnetic or solid) is not relevant. We are negotiating with a US distributor to sell pumps that we know work well. We have found that Split-tube PMSM pumps that have rigidly (not magnetically) attached impellers work very well and are very efficient.

This controller does not require S2. The channels are manipulated just like lighting channels except that twinkle and shimmer are not supported because they would be really rough on the motors. On, off, %level and fade up/down work as expected.