Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels work in Hardware Utility but not in Sequences

NASman

Hello,

I know everyone is busy, just hoping for a little help when you sit down for a minute.

First year...a little over my head but going fairly well.

Just a couple of issues.

I have a CMB24D with 8 dumb rgb.  In the hardware utility all 8 ribbons work fine.

When I play a show,  7 and 8 will not light up at all.

I have 2 other CMB24Ds each with 4 dumb rgb ribbons and 4 dumb rgb 10w floods.

I used Sequence Editor for all of the sequences because I scrambled to get hardware up and still have to build some custom sequences.  Anyway, none of the floods come on in the show, but do in the hardware utility.  Can RGB floods not be programmed through the SE...do I need to use the PE?

Thanks in advance...

Move the mouse over the channel within the sequence and it should show the channel and controller ID assigned to that channel. You need to verify you have things set up correctly. Also, in the Network preferences, LOR tab, look to insure the proper comm port is assigned there. In the SE's "Play" pulldown menu, insure that the "Control Lights" is turned on.

Now something else...you cannot run both the HWU, Show Player/Control Panel or Sequence Editor at the same time. Only one can have access to the RS485 data commands being sent out.

While you can check a channel setup one by one as menti8on above, a quick way to check them all in a table format is via  "channel configuation" under  Tools in SE.

If you have a backgorund sequence, make sure it's not using a channel in your sequences. 

Thanks so much for the responses!

As far as mousing over the channel within the configuration, that gives me the name of the channel as I named it (Left roofline, right roofline, etc) rather than the channel actually assigned. 

However, I validated via the channel configuration under the tools quite a few times before posting and again as suggested and the channel configuration is correct and the network is set on normal (as are all of the other channels). 

In the Network Preferences, LOR tab, the same comm port is selected as is auto-configured in the hardware utility, comm 5.

I am using the Light-o-Rama mini director with MP3 player (version 3) to run my shows.

In the SE's Play pulldown, control lights is turned on.

I have my computer RS485 connected to the network to run the hardware utility.  I also have the mini-director connected to the network, and the show is set to play anytime the mini-director is powered on.  Do I need to ensure that the laptop is disconnected from the network while mini-director is playing? 

I tried running sequences from the laptop, but I get no audio over the FM transmitter.  If I do that, do I need to have an audio jack out from the computer and in to the FM transmitter?  If I am doing that, is the mini director doing anything or is it just sitting there at that point?

One other bit of information that may help, 1 rgb ribbon on each CMB24d stays on green all of the time that power is on.  Should I reset the CMBs (jumper 12?)

I did run the show/sequences through the verifier, and the only issue it found was that I had some channels turned off the whole time, so I deleted those unused channels.  No conflicts were found.

Thanks again!

You can't run both the HWU and the player at the same time. The more I hear about people having problems with the directors, the more happy I am that I didn't buy one.

• Like 1

I have run the Mini- Director now for 7 years and never had a problem - I use the K.I.S.S. method and it has worked for me.

One thing I read is that he has the Director connected to the computer, RS485 Dongle and to the Controllers when attempting to run a show from the Director.   When I ran the DC-MP3 Showtiime Director{older model}, it HAD to be DISCONNECTED from the computer and the RS485 Dongle to run the show.    If it wasn't, yes, it would play a show, but many times channels would not work properly or come on at all.

I'd strongly suggest disconnecting the Director from the computer and RS485 Dongle and then try running the show again.  If it now functions, you've solved the problem.

Just know my Director would get very confused if connected to all my Controllers, the computer and RS485 Dongle, once I disconnected it from everything but what it was going to control, everything ran smooth as silk.

Edited by Orville

Yes, I was referencing the Director's player, whatever it is...and connected to a computer with the HWU running or similar. I'm sure both can't have access to the same comm at the same time. I'm picturing in my head that he's got two paths connected to the RS485 network, one on each end and that's surely going to screw things up.

Yes, I was referencing the Director's player, whatever it is...and connected to a computer with the HWU running or similar. I'm sure both can't have access to the same comm at the same time. I'm picturing in my head that he's got two paths connected to the RS485 network, one on each end and that's surely going to screw things up.

If my Director was connected to the RS485 on one port and my controllers connected on the other and I ran the director with it connected that way, my shows were erratic, lights would be on when they shouldn't, others off when they should be on, some wouldn't respond at all.

And why I posted what I did, the Director will try to take control, but if connected to the computer and it's running the HWU, SE or a show on it, there is going to be some heavy conflict.

My Director was only connected to the computer only when I had to update it's firmware or verify it could be found on the network.   Other than that is was inside a box mounted outside along with my FM transmitter and ran everything on it's own.

Directors are great, but they do have limitations over running a show from a computer.   I still plan on buying a new one to replace my dead one {it won't read any SD card inserted in it} at some point, because there are times I'd prefer to use a Director over the computer, mainly off season landscape lighting instead of tying up my computer for that aspect.

Ok, here is an update.

My Setup (Cat 5 path) is  Computer to CMB24D (Unit 3) to CMB24D (unit 2) to CMB24 (Unit 4) to 16PC-G3 (unit 1) to mini-director.

The computer and the mini director are on opposite ends of the network (kind of required given that each only has 1 cat 5 port).

So, they are both connected right now, only so that mini director can run the show and the computer can run the HU, verifier etc, while I debug. 

I disconnected the computer from the network and  powered up the system (a single extension cord from which everything is running, which powers up each of the controllers, and the mini-director which is set to run whenever it is turned on).

Unit 1 (16PC-G3):  All work great.

Unit 2 - Channels 1-3 work fine except 2-2 is on green from initial power-up and at any time it should be off in the sequence. none of the other channels come on.

Unit 3 - Channels 1-3 work fine....none of the other channels come on.

Unit 4 - Channels 1-3 work fine except channel 3-3 is on green from initial power-up and at any time it should be off in the sequence. none of the other channels come on.

I disconnected the mini-director from the system, and connected the computer and ran the show from there:

The same performance except now, 4-5 and 4-6 work.

It seems like the whole performance is getting worse over time.

I'm thinking you've got some flaky RJ45 connections in there plus you cannot run commands from both ends of the daisychain as Orville was saying. If me, I would disconnect the director first, use the computer only to then run the HWU and verify each controller, one at a time through the daisy chain. You might disconnect all of them, connect to controller 1 then manually test it with the HWU. If it all works, add controller 2 and test that, continuing to move forward

I should have been clear in my last post, I no longer have the computer and the mini-director connected at the same time I am running a show....only 1 or the other.  (now if having them connected together in the past could have gotten anything in a bad state, I have no idea how to "clean that up".

With everything connected, every light works fine with the HU, so I am confident the problem is not the RJ45 connections or a power issue (only using 5 amps).

I will try your idea (and should have already) of testing 1 controller at a time...only I will do it with the show rather than the HU since we know all lights and connections work.

thanks!

Since I know nothing about how the directors are set up, I can only offer advice with the computer use. Using a computer, look in the SE and see how the channels are assigned both channel numbers, type and network they are assigned too, making sure its all correct. I'm thinking you've done that already. The verifier program should be run to see if it finds any errors. Past that, I have no idea about the directors and how they are used. You could put in a help desk ticket and see if they can figure it out.

Thanks!

I have run the verifier with no conflicts. 

I have tried running the shows both from the computer and the mini-director with the same results.

I have verified all of the channel assignments and networks within the show.

and then...I put in a help desk ticket a little bit ago.

Ok...I am officially an idiot.  I was using modified purchased sequences.  I saw the note a while back that they were not made for RGB lights, but I thought that meant you wouldn't get the proper effect.   Now that I think about it, the sequences are stimulating channels 1-16, ie ribbons 1-4 and the red of 5.  Not sure why ribbon 6 was sometime working when it should never have worked, but anyway, changing the channels to rgb channels fixed most of the problem.

The only issue I have now is that ribbon 4 on two controllers are showing green even when no sequence is playing....all other lights are off.  Does that indicate a short?  anyone have any other guesses?

thanks and sorry for wasting everyone's time with my stupidity....I'll try to make it up to you sometime down this expensive road.

I'm assuming its a dumb RGB strip or whatever using a CMB24 DC controller from LOR. How they work is simple. Coming off the controller are four wires, +12VDC and -12VDC on each of Red, Green and Blue wires. The controller supplies the 12VDC via the power supply you attached to the controller. The controller then varies any, each or all of the -12VDC signals to the strip, to achieve the desired color. If green is staying on, I would be looking at your wiring to insure you didn't mix anything up and yes, check for a short to ground on the green wire/green strip wire or along that path just in case a different color wire is used.