Light-O-Rama Forums

Importing Channel Configurations

Frankieswi

I have found the "Channel Configuration Import/Export" feature very helpful when needing to add a new device to a series of sequences.  When I import the new channels (15 in this case, 3 RGB Floods with 2 additional channels each for strobe control), a little weirdness occurs.  The first time, it overwrote the first channels.....so, I added 15 channels ABOVE the first original channel.....this time it overwrote the 16th original channel because for some reason it added 16 channels instead of 15.  My solution was to manually add 16 channels, import the 15, and then delete the first "new channel".  A bit clunky, but it worked.  My question is: Is there a way to direct where in a sequence the import goes?  I didn't see anything to control that.

As far as I know, there isn't. The advice that I have seen given several times on this forum is to have your first track list all of your channels in the same order all the time. This track should never change, except to add channels AT THE END. Don't even delete old channels that are no longer used. You can then use additional tracks to place channels in any order you want. When you import your new configuration, the additional channels should appear at the bottom of the first track without changing any of your existing channels.

Set Up your channel config as you want it. Include all groups/tracks than you plan to use.Export this with a unique name that you will recognize for your channel config. When you create a sequence use that file to setup your channel config,

SPaschall

I wanted to add my pixel tree to the current sequence I was using. I created that track in Track 1. I imported the pixel tree. Came over fine. But then it broke down every one of my rgb channels on other props. In other words it "Degrouped Them" What gives? I wouldn't think that is normal.

Edited by Robert Burton

Thanks for the replies....yes, I heard the same advice.....but, this year I have added 8 RGB floods into the mix, and the thought of manually adding all those channels to every sequence from last year made me shudder, so I came up with the idea of creating them once and importing them....which only lets me put them first.... beyond the little weirdness that makes me add one extra channel and then delete it, all of my sequences still work.  It saved me a ton of time.  I suppose I could drag and drop them to the end, but since it works the way I have it, I vote "NO"!

TODDM, So, the import should be specifically to create a new sequence....to load in all my channels as a template.  If I want to add a controller and/or more channels, I should do that to the template, and only at the end?  Would I then create new sequences and copy&paste the timings in?

for example, sequence "A" has 32 channels, but this year, I want to add another controller....so I update sequence "A" with the new controller and channels, and export that as my new master configuration.  I create a brand new sequence "A1" with the new master configuration, then copy the timings from the old "A" channels and paste them in the appropriate channels on the "A1" sequence?  I am thinking this through correctly?  

Also, am I saying sequence when I should say track? I thought the track was the music....A little confused...somehow have managed to run 80 channels plus 8 floods without mucking things up too badly.... 

Frank,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Did you get it to work yet? If not, I can try to write the steps I take out for you.

Ok guys,

I don't remember this being so hard last season. I also don't remember it tearing apart my RGB stuff as I mentioned above.  Is this something that the beta 4.2.6 is doing or is this normal. Again, don't remember this happening when I added a pixel tree with Bob's vegomatic.

....and btw. I just updated to the latest beta version (4.2.10) and it STILL breaks apart all of your RGB channels. I wouldn't think that this is an appropriate response from software that offers that option in their menu. Adding channels to make it work sounds more like a hack to me. Especially if your adding 7, 48 pixel snowflakes. I want to be able to get to the channels, not just in PE.

Is this possible?  Having Vegomatic will allow me to set the individual channels correctly. I have .lcc's setup to add in the individual channels.

I also highlighted the bottom or last track. In other words made it the active track. Added ONE channel into that "Bottom or Active" track. I imported one of the snowflakes (48 rgb channels) from Vegomatic. I deleted my track one.  Of course I did "undo" and saved to get back to the original.

Edited by Robert Burton