Light-O-Rama Forums

Using an LOR1602 as a stand alone unit

DKFCP

I'm new to the multi-channel xmas lights game.  For years I've added more and more light strands and finally last year I jumped into multi-channel with an inexpensive 8-channel controller that I purchased on Amazon Prime.  I'm 100% LED, c7 and c9.  

This year I'd like to make more of an impact and was thinking about purchasing a unit from Light-O-Rama.

Rather than spending the time to sequence everything (I don't have any PCs in the house anyway), I thought I would just use the LOR standalone to set up 16 extra channels of flashers/chasers on top of my current 8-channels.

From what I have read, the LOR1602 is in-fact useable as a stand-alone unit.  

Questions:

-is this a good beginner's box to start off with?

-what's the difference in the pro/consumer boxes--is it just that one is metal and the other is plastic?

-any other things I need to look out for or keep in mind?

I've been scouring these forums and don't want to bother anyone but any light that can be shed would be fabulous.

Regards,
DKFCP

Even in stand alone you would still need a computer to get the sequence in to the controllers on board memory. The sequence would be limited in the number of commands, 10,000 I think, and there would be no music so you would just have blinky lights.

Thanks guys,

I don't know if this unit is right for me.  I really was hoping it would be plug-and-play and that I would only have one option to mess with:  the speed that it would run through the channels.  

Ill keep taking a look at everything to see if I can make it happen.

regards,

DKFCP

Nothing in this hobby is plug and play. But, it allows for you to create the light show you want and expect to see along with allowing for so many different types of lights, uses and creativity. For those who want plug and play, then the Mr Christmas boxes available at Lowes or Home Depot and similar are for those. I've seen one of those run and it didn't look bad at all. LOR is much more advanced and allows for precise control of everything in your design.

• Like 1

Nothing in this hobby is plug and play. But, it allows for you to create the light show you want and expect to see along with allowing for so many different types of lights, uses and creativity. For those who want plug and play, then the Mr Christmas boxes available at Lowes or Home Depot and similar are for those. I've seen one of those run and it didn't look bad at all. LOR is much more advanced and allows for precise control of everything in your design.

I started with one of the above for my first year, modified from 6 to 12 outlets 2nd year. Moved to a new location 3rd year, tested out the locals. All went down well, went into LOR for the 4th next year. Another one hooked. Just keeps getting bigger and bigger every year.

Edited by robongar

Thanks again guys.

This is the standalone 8-channel light controller I used last year:

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/product.php?productid=1162

It's ok---but pretty much just made me want to go bigger and better this year.  

I'm still thinking about getting the LOR, borrowing a friend's PC, and making this happen the right way.

regards,

DKFCP

If you want plug and play I'm selling my Wireless Lights and Sounds of Christmas (includes Halloween sounds).  Here's my Craigslist ad link: 

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/5229476542.html

If you're interested I have a youtube video of what I did with it last year