Light-O-Rama Forums

Western U.S. - Are you worried about "El Nino"?

Arteom

Hello Everyone!

I live in Central California where we are in a horrible drought. However, If you believe the predictions, this rainy season is expected to be an "El Nino" season; an intense season of strong rains and winds is among the horizon. 

As much as I would love the rain, I never turn on my lights whilst it's raining due to fire/ safety issues. Furthermore, after a hard rain I have to do maintenance and make sure all connectors are dry before the show goes live. 

My worry is, if there is an abnormal amount of rainy days this season, that could delay the show, and potentially ruin a lot of my lights if they are constantly getting soaked. Is anyone else concerned? 

Here in Oklahoma we get rain, sleet, freezing rain and snow during the Christmas season and I have never turned my show off or had any problems. Well, there was the one year I made a spiral tree out of PVC and we had a blizzard .... The lights were fine as a matter of fact they were still on as I was picking up the pieces of the tree.

Papa

Mine runs in the rain with no issues, with the exception with torrential downpours.

Edited by TitusCarnathan

If I had to turn off my show during the rain I would never have a show. I just make sure all my plugs are off the ground and in a way that water can drain out of the sockets. I have never had any problems.

I had a lot of rain and ice this past Year. Show went on every day with no problems. Well until my hard drive crashed. But that's a another story.

I never shut down my show.  I live in Oregon, not far from Eric.  And I too would have no show if I cancelled because of rain.  Two years ago, I setup in the pouring rain, rained almost every day of the season.  Last year only rained a hand full of times, but still had most trouble with Tomatoe cage trees, once I isolated them by putting them on plastic fence posts, they worked fine.  Usually it is only one or two things that cause problems.  Figure out what they are, and either modify them, or replace them with a different decoration.  Last year my reindeer were also a problem, so instead of leaving them on the ground, I ran a rope to the second story of my house and made them fly mid season.  Solved the issue.  If you go to my facebook page Rainy Oregon Christmas, you can find pictures of the differences.  BTW at home depot, get the plastic fence posts back in the fencing section.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fi-Shock-48-in-Plastic-Black-Step-in-Fence-Post-A-48B/203265870%C2'> Just $2.51 each.  Solved my issues.

Bring on the El Nino!  We need the water so if my Halloween and Christmas displays take a hit or have issues.....so be it.

I'm in the Los Angeles area and we need the rain. Last year I was down for two nights when a cabinet leaked and killed a network switch and drenched a 12volt power and my FM transmitter (both the latter survived) but that is fixed, so I will go on regardless of the weather. Everything in the yard is 5 or 12 volt DC, so water is not much of a problem.

I still have "bought a snowblower insurance", so it won't even snow.  It will not snow until it won't start anymore, THEN it will snow.. :)

Weather guys are just guessing.

Alan

What happens if y'all have the "Big One" and a whole chunk slides off into the ocean during an El Nino?  Would that help the drought any?

What happens if y'all have the "Big One" and a whole chunk slides off into the ocean during an El Nino?

Then my audience would be a bunch of fish...

What happens if y'all have the "Big One" and a whole chunk slides off into the ocean during an El Nino?  Would that help the drought any?

Probably not, but I've always wanted an ocean front property so I'm excited.

I would have ocean front if that happened..well maybe...

I do live right on the edge... and by that I mean on the edge of the actual San Andras Fault line... It runs right along where I live about 1/4 mi. from me on the south side of Palmdale ca.

But with the mountains and our higher elevation... about 3,500 ft maybe I would be beach front.... I am on the side of the mountain... and when it slides down if it doesn't slide down to much... 

now for K6ccc  that would be a different story, he is only about 20 mi away the way a crow flies but he is on the other side of the mountain...

how long do Blow Molds Float?? Maybe I should look into a few of those... hahaha

I find it very interesting that many of you use your lights in the rain.

I always assumed this was a huge red flag for generic brand Christmas lights. Are there any little secret tips or installation guidelines one should follow when installing a "rain proof" display (besides taping the female ends of plugs of course.)?

I don't tape my female ends or any plugs... just holds the water in!  Keep your plugs off the ground so water drains out.  Try to isolate metal props from the ground... the plastic fence post above is a good idea.  Use GFCI outlets!!!! and you should be safe and good to go.  My show runs in all weather. 

Not as much as you might think.  Rainwater is pretty clean water and does not conduct electricity very well.  After it's puddled in the dirt (or run off your roof) is a different story, so keep the dirty water out of your electrical connectors.

All kidding aside, I would not recommend picking up the end that flooded with your bare hands while standing in a puddle in bare feet!

During heavy rains water gets into the female ends of the plugs, Isn't this a safety issue? 

what k6ccc said...

Edited by jimswinder