Light-O-Rama Forums

First timer - Showtime Central a good choice?

Jaynee

My husband and I have decided to get into the light show game for 2016.  I know the sale starts tomorrow.  I'm thinking about getting the Showtime Central package since it comes with everything in a box.  Then I can just add controllers each year going forward.

A couple questions:

1) I've read mixed reviews of the FM transmitter that comes with the Showtime Central package.  Considering I only want to broadcast to a few cars sitting outside my house, is it really necessary to get a transmitter from an outside vendor?  I don't want to entertain the whole block

2) If I order the SD card that has pre-planned sequences on it, can I ADD sequences to that SD card for a longer show?  Can I add those sequences in between the set playlist that comes on the card?

3) If you don't think I should get the Showtime Central package, what DO you think I should get, assuming I'm only going to start with 16 channels in 2016?

Thanks, everyone!

That's what I started with 3 years ago when I first got into LOR as well as an extra controller(we had been doing a lot of static lights so had lots to start with thereby needing a 2nd controller).  I also bought a SD programmed card from LOR as I didn't get started until right before Thanksgiving. Knew I would not have time to learn sequencing and actually produce them.  The program worked fine and even though my lights did not always match the program since I just plugged everything in without really knowing what would turn on when or with what , every one still enjoyed the show.  The transmitter worked ok.  As long as you were in front of our property you could pick up the signal on the radio.  It faded quickly as you went past us.  I still have the same transmitter; but am considering upgrading maybe this year or certainly next as I would like a little stronger signal reaching the road. Our house is about 60-70' from the road with lots of trees in between.  

I believe you can modify the sequences sold by LOR but I'm not 100% sure that is the case with all of them.  I am now sequencing all my own programs.

The showtime central package is a good starting point and is easy to add on as you desire.  I've added a 3rd controller this year along with several CCRs , not to mention lots of new LEDs, and will probably purchase another controller during this sale.

Hope this helps.

Been doing static displays for about 12 years. Then I started out last year with (1) 16 channel controller. I purchased the "ready to go" sequences. I ran it off of a 7 year old laptop. Hooked up a couple of outdoor rated speakers to an even older stereo,  and Voila!, good to go. If your husband can hook up a couple of wires I suggest getting the "Card Assembled (Complete Package) it just requires the assembly of the output and power cords.Its saves about $45 pre sale price and $20 during the sale vs. getting it with the cords installed. Be Careful....this is an addicting hobby!!! For this year I added 3 more controllers, + 34 led strips, + (3) E1.31 networks, + 16 string pixel tree, + 4 singing Christmas trees, and a Partridge in a pear tree... Good Luck, Have fun, and welcome to the madness :D

Regardless of how far you want/need to transmit, virtually every other transmitter sold in the world is better than the Whole Room thing. Try the CZH-05B. Half the price of Whole Room and not even close in performance. Yes, the Whole Room thing is slightly better than string and tin cans, but only slightly.

ive been using the Showtime Central package for 2 years now and you can do alot with it if you carefully plan your layout. Just use the FM transmitter from outside vendors because the whole house one is not going to be easy to deal with.  Heres the 2014 video of our house. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv6zp0v3bvk

Okay, so I opted NOT to get Showtime Central - I got one 16-channel controller, the advanced software, and the mini director.  I'll get an independent FM Transmitter.  And while I'm REALLY tempted to give it a whirl for this year, I think I'll definitely wait and do it in 2016, so that I can get a 2nd 16-channel controller for added flexibility.

Question on the sequencing software:  Can I still PROGRAM a 32-channel song even if I only have 16 channels in my possession?  I would think I can since the software runs independently.  What if I program a 32 channel song but then only hook up 16 channels, will it just ignore the 2nd group of 16 channels but still run the program for the initial 16?

You can still do a nice show with just one 16 ch controller. There are literally hundreds of sequences out there that others will share with you to get you going.

Good choice with advanced software. You can now sequence 1 to your hearts content in channels. Even if you don't have the controller you can sequence it. You can also sequence rgb now...be it dmx dumb or pixels thanks to having advanced.

You can dream and setup your visualizer on how you want your house to look and sequence away. And when you run your actual show, if you don't have a controller...it doesn't matter. Whatever controllers you have will work.

I have tested this...not on purpose though. I have come home and found only part of the yard working. Controller was off.

Good luck.

Sax

• Like 1

Good choice with advanced software. You can now sequence 1 to your hearts content in channels. Even if you don't have the controller you can sequence it. You can also sequence rgb now...be it dmx dumb or pixels thanks to having advanced.

You can dream and setup your visualizer on how you want your house to look and sequence away. And when you run your actual show, if you don't have a controller...it doesn't matter. Whatever controllers you have will work.

I have tested this...not on purpose though. I have come home and found only part of the yard working. Controller was off.

Good luck.

Sax

That's exactly what I was wondering.  good to know I can sequence for the future even I won't see it.

Since downloading the software a couple hours ago I've been knee deep in trying to learn how to sequence songs.  WOW.  No wonder you guys all talk about it taking 8-9 months to plan for the following year if you do new songs!  At this point, for a 3 minute song, I've only got the part of the first minute done (vocals, keys and bass drum) and I've been doing it for 3+ hours.  I can see how it could easily take over a month to do ONE song if you have dozens of channels to sequence.  WOW.

Yes, it does take time. Wait until you're doing for thousands of channels!

As for the Whole Room Transmitter, I agree with everyone that there are better choices. I ended up with one several years ago. Used it last year and with a longer antenna and the hidden high power switch, it worked OK. Even when the cabinet it was in leaked and it got soaked (twice) it still worked - which amazed me. Ordered a CZH-05b after the first soaking assuming it was toast. I tested the CZH, but left the Whole Room Transmitter in for the season in part because I was not sure I had the water leak fixed and didn't want the CZH to get soaked (good thing too since the cabinet still leaked). For 2015 I will use the CZH (the cabinet leak is fixed), and then keep the WHT as a backup. Next year I want to get an EDM RDS and then the CZH will become the spare.

Remember that you will need a USB adapter (or two - have a spare).

Welcome to the addiction!

Welcome Jaynee!

AS stated, sequence as many channels as you want, your controller will play the channels assigned to it only.

My CZH was $58 shipped to my house, love it and you can select "HI" or "LOW" power if that concerns you.

...And I say go ahead and give it a whirl for this year!

You  can get a pretty good idea what more channels would look like by just adding them into the visualizer..  They wont be showing on your actual show until you connect the controller for them.. 

Really learning how to use the Visuilzer is going to help you a lot.  I just got into LOR last October just before Halloween and had not really tried to work with it..

Itsmebob got with me in April.. helped me set it up and get it going. He was a really great help to me and still is.. 

If you purchase sequences check to see if they are modifiable or not. Some you cannot make changes to and some you can.. It would be more beneficial I think to get ones you can change etc. if you want to.

There are many here who have 16 channel as well as more they are willing to share.. I have my 48 channel on a sever and it is open fpr anyone who wants them. You can change them or modify them in any way you want to if they will help you. They are set for archs, a sprial megs tree and 8 mini trees but feel free to use them any way you want to if you want..

They are available at  share.northjerseylights.com/for_chuck/

Please let me know if the link doesn't work as it is NorthJersey lights web site and they are kind enough to let me share it there..

Thanks, Old Sarge! 

I've got the CZM on my Amazon wish list - hoping to pick it up soon.

I've now got one song 95% done (Deck the Halls by TSO) - I showed the sequence to my husband last night (LOVE the Visualizer) and he wants me to tweak a couple things in the last 10-20 seconds.  Other than that, he liked it.  Then I started working on a short clip from the movie Christmas Vacation - only 30 seconds - and I'm about 75% of the way done with that one (it's simple, which is good).

I'm thinking about sequencing the Saturday Night Live original version of "Christmas Treat" that Horatio Sanz, Jimmy Fallon, Tracy Morgan and Chris Kattan did in 2001.  Failing that, may just do the Julian Casablancas cover from a few years ago.

Lastly, I've seen a couple THX sequences that I may modify.  At that point I'll have:

1) THX Intro (30 seconds)

2) SNL "Christmas Treat" (2 minutes)

3) Christmas Vacation Movie clip (30 seconds)

4) "Deck the Halls" by TSO (3:30 minutes)

If I can figure out a quick 30 second clip to use as a "close" then I'll have a nice 7-minute show for this year.  I'm not going to go crazy. 

Until 2016, that is.

Thanks, Old Sarge! 

I've got the CZM on my Amazon wish list - hoping to pick it up soon.

I've now got one song 95% done (Deck the Halls by TSO) - I showed the sequence to my husband last night (LOVE the Visualizer) and he wants me to tweak a couple things in the last 10-20 seconds.  Other than that, he liked it.  Then I started working on a short clip from the movie Christmas Vacation - only 30 seconds - and I'm about 75% of the way done with that one (it's simple, which is good).

I'm thinking about sequencing the Saturday Night Live original version of "Christmas Treat" that Horatio Sanz, Jimmy Fallon, Tracy Morgan and Chris Kattan did in 2001.  Failing that, may just do the Julian Casablancas cover from a few years ago.

Lastly, I've seen a couple THX sequences that I may modify.  At that point I'll have:

1) THX Intro (30 seconds)

2) SNL "Christmas Treat" (2 minutes)

3) Christmas Vacation Movie clip (30 seconds)

4) "Deck the Halls" by TSO (3:30 minutes)

If I can figure out a quick 30 second clip to use as a "close" then I'll have a nice 7-minute show for this year.  I'm not going to go crazy. 

Until 2016, that is.

If you want to extend your show with minimal effort you can create some simple animation sequences that you can insert as spacers between various musical sequences as well as an opening and closing sequence.  They don't take much time to create and can be as simple as just twinkling your lights or a simple chase across your display.

Until 2016, that is.

You say that now but once the equipment starts coming in you will get the bug and I bet you will have 10-12 songs in your show come Christmas.   :D

*lol* Mr. P.  Unfortunately, our street is not equipped to handle people potential sitting in front of our house for that long.  Even doing 7 minutes is probably longer than we should do.  Our streets are VERY narrow (so as to forbid street parking), so the most anyone will be able to sit is the amount of time it takes for a car to pull up behind them.  Some nights that may be the whole 7 minutes, some nights it may only be 30 seconds.  Our street is the only one in and out of the neighborhood so it is HEAVILY trafficked.

tomsusie - I was definitely thinking of putting in some motion in the lights, and having the actual "show" be every 30 minutes.

Here is how the bug gets you:

September 2015 - your equipment comes in and you start playing with it and 7 min isn't enough so you add another 7 min.

November 2015 - the bug is kicking in and you add another 3 min.

December 2015 - time for the show, you run it and the neighbors are amazed and you are proud of what you have done.

March 2016 - you get another controller from the spring sale and some more lights, you start programming another 15 min of songs.

August 2016 - the bug has really kicked in, you have gotten really good at the programming and 30 min isn't enough any more. You get three more controllers at the summer sale and more lights. The show is now 45 min long.

September 2016 - you start trying to convince the husband that you need to do a Halloween show and quickly start programming Halloween songs

October - December 2016 - you put on two great shows and the crowds start getting bigger.

March 2017 - you start trying to convince the husband that you need to move to a bigger house for a bigger show and easier road access.

Now the bug has completely got you. Just wait it's coming.   :D

• Like 1

Here is how the bug gets you:

September 2015 - your equipment comes in and you start playing with it and 7 min isn't enough so you add another 7 min.

November 2015 - the bug is kicking in and you add another 3 min.

December 2015 - time for the show, you run it and the neighbors are amazed and you are proud of what you have done.

March 2016 - you get another controller from the spring sale and some more lights, you start programming another 15 min of songs.

August 2016 - the bug has really kicked in, you have gotten really good at the programming and 30 min isn't enough any more. You get three more controllers at the summer sale and more lights. The show is now 45 min long.

September 2016 - you start trying to convince the husband that you need to do a Halloween show and quickly start programming Halloween songs

October - December 2016 - you put on two great shows and the crowds start getting bigger.

March 2017 - you start trying to convince the husband that you need to move to a bigger house for a bigger show and easier road access.

Now the bug has completely got you. Just wait it's coming.   :D

+1  Couldn't say it better!  Have fun and welcome to the crazy light world.

At some point our display WILL become too large for the yard - it has multiplied EXPONENTIALLY since 2007 when we bought our first lighted tinsel animal (before that all we had was lighted wreaths on the windows, the front door and over the garage).

I am thinking that this year we'll take a break from the inflatables and just do the lighted stuff.  Then really work on our neighbors to let us use their yard next year for inflatables.  An alternative is have the inflatables on the outside edges of the yard, completely outside the lighting configuration - but even that would be encroaching on the property lines, so we'd have to get permission, most likely.

As for moving, we're planning on retiring in this house, so the only option will be going UP - yep, onto the roof.  Maybe that's where the inflatables can go next year?!