Light-O-Rama Forums

What time does your show start?

debtoews

This NIGHT I actually went in with my show editor (while the show was running and my daughters were directing traffic) and dropped to two short songs. WE HAD to get traffic moving. It was a 45 min. wait just to get in front of the house at that point (some friends said). Getting traffic in front of your display is a great feeling. But if your on a tight street like mine and have some crazy neighbors... you don't want to tick them off ;-)  Find some songs your neighbors like too, that always helps :-)

I'm fortunate to have neighbors that enjoy our Christmas lights - although we did just get a new set of neighbors catecorner to our house that I don't know well (yet).  But they have three small kids, so I'm hoping they have the "wonder of Christmas" and will enjoy the display.

I tested the show last night and it's 15 minutes long.  I may take out a song to get it down to 10 minutes and see how the traffic goes with that.

But I think I've decided I need to win the lottery so we can buy a house on 1-2 acres and a really wide road (maybe I can create a parking lot off the driveway? *lol*)

I'm fortunate to have neighbors that enjoy our Christmas lights - although we did just get a new set of neighbors catecorner to our house that I don't know well (yet).  But they have three small kids, so I'm hoping they have the "wonder of Christmas" and will enjoy the display.

I tested the show last night and it's 15 minutes long.  I may take out a song to get it down to 10 minutes and see how the traffic goes with that.

But I think I've decided I need to win the lottery so we can buy a house on 1-2 acres and a really wide road (maybe I can create a parking lot off the driveway? *lol*)

Jennings Osbourne bought the houses on either side of him ;-)

Best advice I can give anyone about all this is BE ORGANIZED- HAVE A PLAN AND TALK TO YOUR LOCAL PD/FIRE DEPARTMENTS!  We got invited to another large decorating group's meeting with the local Police Dept. Now mind you, this group has 126 houses with all static displays.  They get an incredible amount of traffic and are having some problems.    Its the- started as 2 neighbors having a contest and has grown over 16+ years to 126 houses.  Funny, they expected the Police Department to come in and fix their problems- the ones they created but there is NO leader, NO plans, NO rules etc.  I told them I have enough government involvement with my event since we are 501c3- so I answer to the Feds and the State of California...I have NO desire for the local City government to get involved too.  After talking to many people at the City level- they DO NOT want to be involved, but rather just come and enjoy the show. Like they say; FAIL TO PLAN then you PLAN TO FAIL!

• Like 1

Jaynee, as others have said, start small and build up.  We did that. We are at the back of the sub-D on a cul-de-sac, so it's not a traffic problem...

1st year, although the neighbors "liked" our display, the neighbors across the street was like.. "well, it's ok.. we can just feel the bass in our bedroom"... (I wanted to make a comment there but I stopped... they are retired...)   :-)

Now in our 5 year of animated lights (always had static previously), it has grown considerably, and the neighbors are already asking what we are doing this year, and when will we be starting ? 

Get them involved, and especially be courteous and understanding... When they start having their friends and family over to see your display, then you know all is well... When they start asking how you do it, and want to do the same thing, then they are hooked...

BTW, where in SC are you located ?  We are near Savannah Ga...

Good Luck and Have Fun !!!

• The topic was locked