Light-O-Rama Forums

Best approach to power my RGB LED Strips - HELP

jashewmaker

Hello. I'll be honest, I am completely new to LOR and RGB devices. I've been watching tons of videos on YouTube by HolidayCoro and LOR, but I still need some additional device from some of you pros out there. Below I have posted an image of the right of my house with a quick sketch of where I will be placing the RGB LED strips for the 2015 season. I plan on purchasing the LOR CTB16PC and the LOR CMB24D and a 12V power supply. I will be securing them in weatherproof containers just between the front door and the window on the right. 

I need advice on the best approach of powering the LED strips (each window, door I want to be independently controlled). What extension cables would be recommended? I've been seeing lots of discussion on RGB signal amplification. Is that something that I would need as well?

http://postimg.org/image/u5sb4cb3r/

Thanks for the help in advance!

-Adam

I use a 5a power supply from a small TV and one that came with the first lot of RGB lights I got. Almost all need 12v. 5050 30LED/m needs 24 watts, 60LED needs 48 (For 5m strips, which are most popular). Wattage is calculated by multiplying voltage by currant, so 12v * 5a is 60, which can power one 300 LED strip. (I power a flood and a strip)

The controller you were looking at for your strips has two power inputs, which each drive 4 RGB channels. Try to even out the load so you don't need a huge power supply on one side and a weak tony one doing the other. 
You will most likely need to cut them, so work out how much you need for the lengths you are using, and add some to be safe.

EDIT: Leave a bit of headroom. Too much is good, too little is bad, especially if you plan on expanding and don't want to be buying more power supplies.

You will be running some moderately long lengths for some of the strips, however not all that long.  My landscape lighting has some runs that are longer than that.  My longest runs are about 50 feet, and there is up to six meters of 30 pixel per meter strip per RGB channel set.  In my case I am using some 14AWG four conductor "speaker" cable that I bought from Monoprice.com to get from the controllers to the strips.  The cable I am using has Red, Green, Black, & White wire so I use the white for +12, Black for the Blue, and the Red and Green should be obvious.

You should not need signal amplification for your installation.  Personally I would just solder the larger cable either onto the strips themselves or to the pigtails that are usually attached to them.  Note that when soldering 14AWG wire onto the strip itself, care must be taken to keep the things from shorting as there ends up with not much space between the wires.  If you are not sure if you can do that, then solder to the pigtails.  The other consideration is that if you solder to the strip, that means that you have unsealed the strip and you will need to make sure to waterproof it.

BTW, contrary to what was posted earlier, most 30 pixel per meter RGB strip uses 36 watts and 60 pixel per meter RGB strip uses 72 watts (not the 24 and 48 watts stated).

It would work. Probably without a problem, and pretty cheap as well.

If it says it works for RGB at 20m, then it will, and if not, you can get your money back.

I use the pigtails to make up RGB extension leads with speaker. It makes a watertight seal and is easy to undo and put back, but most of it is white and it takes two wires to do it.

Maybe I am wrong about the wattage. A video I watched said they use 24 and 48, but I was unsure of this as my power supply was only drawing 19 watts. I would go with 36 if I were you, as over powering is fine (They just draw what they need), but under powering could damage the power supply. I will probably go and get a more powerful power supply soon. Better safe than sorry.

Dumb rgb is not as hard on cable size as smart. That said, I typically use the same extensions for my smart and dumb. Makes life easier.

I centrally place all my controllers. So I need anywhere from 5ft to 75 ft of extension. For both my smart and dumb rgb lights I am using 15 mm four core cables. These are using 18 AWG wire.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/7-6-25feet-long-4core-BLACK-extention-cable-one-end-with-male-the-other-end-with/701799_804982353.html

For your power supplies. You should never use over 80% of available power. Doing so will cause your power supply to overwork and fail prematurely. With led you are able to use one 350 watt power supply on several strips. For a few dollars more you can grab a 400 watt and attach one more strip. The best approach to rgb design is to plan and then test prior to yard placement. I get my power supplies here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/400W-switch-mode-power-supply-size-215-115-50mm-led-driver-led-power-supply/701799_584050961.html

In 2 years I have lost 1 power supply. So spares are a must.

I use CG 1500 for my weatherproof boxes. My source for weatherproof boxes is below. Get extras, you will need them:

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16&zenid=6333559fc5b29491bd47a5a476c6c9e8

Using the CG 1500 I am able to put the card and power supply in the same container. And even though I could use that power supply for more than one card in most cases, I don't. Each card gets its own 400 watt supply.

When connected your pigtail to your strip, I would use a longer cable to put the connector some distance from the end to reduce stress. Not necessary but this last season one of my strips leaked as a result of my over aggressive tightening.

Good luck

Sax