Light-O-Rama Forums

i just got my electric bill for December. .....

portcity_gt

.....and it almost cost me a whole six bucks more than November! Damn light display costing so much money!

Gotta love leds.

20141227_164236_zpsldt9abda.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Archer

• portcity_gt

• PaulXmas

• JeffF

And that is why I walk right past the minis - even at closeout under a buck. They would have to tape a $10 bill to each box before I 'd go back. (Well, tape it on & we'll see...)

Gawd,  I would LOVE to have a $108 electric bill!  Too much crap that's on all the time.  And too many people living here that don't understand turning things off...

I installed a new a/c (heatpump) last year that dropped my electric bills by about $100 a month, its been awesome.

It will now hit a max of around $160 in 100° Louisiana summer.

What was your increased consumption?Need to compare apples to apples.

Its on the bill.

No lights in November = $102

Lights in December = $108

Edited by portcity_gt

I have a mix of incans, incan floods, and LEDs - but a small display.  

Tonight I put a clamp ammeter (on sale for $35 at Radio Shack right now, down from $60+!) on the main 3 controllers (the other one only runs 4 LED strands, so I didn't bother).  On one of my "busier" songs, it pulls an average of 4A.  With all the lights on, it's 8A total draw.   For comparison purposes, I have a floor fan that draws 2A on high - so this isn't drawing much at all. 

Based on some quick calculations, it looks like it costs me about $10/month (rounded up and including the amp and FM transmitter) to run the light show for 4 hours per night with a small (LED animation only) show on for another 4 hours.  The electric is the cheapest part of the whole thing!

Next year, I plan to go largely RGB, which will likely knock it down even more, since they will be replacing incan features. 

Edited by jtomason

If you're asking for kwh, i dont remember id have to look.

Yes, increase in consumption in KW/h . Comparing cost doesn't do much as local rates, rebates and competition fees are different. A $6 increase for you could be $20 increase for others.

Edited by sticks4legs

Yes, increase in consumption in KW/h . Comparing cost doesn't do much as local rates, rebates and competition fees are different. A $6 increase for you could be $20 increase for others.

I dont care how much other people's bills go up lol.

If i remember ill look at the kw tonight, but theres so many variables ie room lights,tv, heatpump, a/c (yep i have to use heat and a/c nov/dec, louisiana weather).

But ill try to check.

I dont care how much other people's bills go up lol.

If i remember ill look at the kw tonight, but theres so many variables ie room lights,tv, heatpump, a/c (yep i have to use heat and a/c nov/dec, louisiana weather).

But ill try to check.

Unless your lights draw a large part of you consumption there are to many variables. 

For the month and half we run and test it runs around 600 bucks. I have a mix of it all in the show. Brother in law tells me how much and I pay what he says.

Edited by Jeff Messer

I just got my electric bill and it was $150 higher than normal but I am still WAY ahead of the game.

Lets explore the mini lights vs LED's just a little and I'm sure somebody will set me straight if I am all washed up. My display has over 100,000 primarily mini lights. I purchased them all for around $2 per 100box from Lowes. That means I have invested $2,000.00 in my mini's. But lets do a little more math. (1000 boxes x 100lights/box = 100,000lights or 1,000boxes x $2/box = $2,000.00) To purchase 100,000 LED's at 70LED's per box = 1,428 boxes. (70 per box is what I purchased LED's the day after Christmas at Big Lots at about $4.00/box) If I got lucky and bought them all for $4/box (normally $9.99/box) I would have paid $4,998.00 to get my 100,000 lights. If you continue the math and subtract the $2,000 I paid for my mini's from the $4,998 I would have to pay for LED's, it means I would have paid $2,998 MORE for LED's than mini's. My electricity bill is about $150 more than normal for the entire season so that means to realize a savings using LED's I would have to run my show for 19.98 yrs (seasons) before the LED's would pay for themselves. Don't get me wrong, I like LED's for everything other than cost's which has to include PURCHASING them and you must include the purchasing cost in the conversation.

Somebody please tell me where my math/logic is wrong/flawed.

kevinkolak.com  

It's not flawed imo. Some people will also tell you to add the cost of all the electric upgrades you did to support the incans... but if you are like me those costs aren't too bad because I did all the work myself so there is no labor.

I have no problem with LEDs except when people act like they are the 2nd coming. :)

BTW, I'm still running tens of thousands of incandescent lights I purchased for 50 cents a box 7 years ago... I guess I'd have to run them LEDs for 50 years to breakeven!

My halloween show was still 100% incandecent with 2 cfl floods, my Christmas display was maybe 50/50. Then only time I buy LED's are usually 75% off at Walmart, figure you can't go wrong for $1 a box. Now I honestly am starting to think that the real place to save Is going to be in RGB. For example it seems cheaper to build mini trees with rgb, you can use one controller to say control 8 mini trees and get any color you want. A set of 50ct rgb in the presale right now is about $16, if you wanted to go red, white, blue, green mini trees in LED that's probably 4 times the price in lights plus how much in AC controllers.

I think the biggest plus for me with LED mini (cheap biglots $10/120 lights) is the reliability. 3 years never lost a light and the paint stays on the red bulbs. Mine are all zip tied to conduit so it's important. Sidebar, high efficiency furnace and heat pump savings will power my LOR habit for decades.

???If you are into saving money then maybe don't get into this hobby every year it costs me!