Light-O-Rama Forums

My neighbor is threatening to try to shut me down....

uncledan

Well... We closed the street off last night for annual toy drive. Santa and Mrs Claus, etc. The neighbors that have called in to the city trying to get me shut down came over and told Santa how much they loved the display.... We probably had 1,000+ people so I didn't see or get to talk to them unfortunately. I'm really scratching my head now.... Maybe they finally realized they are being Scrooges as the City and local Police Department referred to them as.

Don't be fooled uncledan. Sucking up to Santa could be a false sign.

People who are usually scrooges just don't change over night IMHO.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uncledan

• Santas Helper

• Dale W

• ItsMeBobO

Seems to be contagious this year.  I got a call last night from my HOA.  A neighbor, we'll call "Ebenezer"  had complained.  The short of it is the HOA & local sheriff have no issues.  I was also told the HOA could change the rules against me, but... since our HOA President has the 2nd largest display in my sub-division, that's likely to never happen.  By the end of the call the HOA board member was making arrangements to bring her kids to my show.  :P:D

Seems to be contagious this year.  I got a call last night from my HOA.  A neighbor, we'll call "Ebenezer"  had complained.  The short of it is the HOA & local sheriff have no issues.  I was also told the HOA could change the rules against me, but... since our HOA President has the 2nd largest display in my sub-division, that's likely to never happen.  By the end of the call the HOA board member was making arrangements to bring her kids to my show.  :P:D

I would learn the process on how the rules can be changed. In our covenants it is majority of the home owners.  In a HOA down from us it is a majority of the voters at the meeting.

I'm on the board here and I'm sponsoring a Christmas Decorating contest here! They could change the rules in the future I suppose but at least I'll get a say. Before I did my first LOR year, 3 years ago, I warned them upfront, that I didn't know what would happen with traffic in the years to come.

I agree. No HOA's. Been there done that! Never again... I would get a letter every year first part of February if any lights were still up.

I would get a letter every year first part of February if any lights were still up.

That's actually not a bad rule, for snow/ice free locations. I see some houses with lights still up in May in some locations and I'm just thinking, it takes more effort to put them up than taking them down. I don't get it.

That's not a problem on my street or in my HOA (which consists of 16 houses) as I'm pretty much the only one decorating the house for the season. By the first weekend in January, just about all my lights are taken down and stored away. Of course winter weather plays a factor each year but have decent weather on average.

It's easy for some neighbors to get lazy and before you know it, starts to look trashy. I'm not talking just Christmas lights either.

HOAs have their pros and cons. I guess doing a little homework on the regulations before moving in can be of help in the decision.

My Display is always 90% down with a 14-16 hour day on New Years Day.  My old house had 60+ foot tall Sycamore that would take 60+ hours with crane and 2 men to put lights up and take down.  Occasionally some were still up in early February.  Every time by the time I received the letter the lights were all down.  I hate HOA's regardless!  I agree, take your lights down in a reasonable amount of time. 

By HOA rules we are "not allowed" to put our lights up before December 1st.  However, as I said our HOA President is a light nut too, so... it's an un-enforced rule.  Would be a show killer if enforced.

HOAs can be a necessary evil. Or are just evil.

Either way, I'd say most just don't want the lights up all year round. On the day after Thanksgiving and off by the second week in January and you should be fine as long as they are down in a reasonable time.

I think in the past we've had people post that upset neighbors have actually reported them to the FCC for putting up an FM station. Fortunately, those agents know the law and are of no real concern. But still, it could be worse.

• The topic was locked