Light-O-Rama Forums

My neighbor is threatening to try to shut me down....

uncledan

I agree its a legit complaint Dale.    A prior next door neighbor was SO mad at me because a truck was in her drive for 10 min in the summer delivering lumber and she came home at that moment.   If we didnt use her drive we would have to walk it all around my house.  We made up I guess before she moved.   This one was totally me asking forgiveness instead of permission.     The clarity of who the offender is in the OPs case is not so clear.  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uncledan

• Santas Helper

• Dale W

• ItsMeBobO

I will do my best to keep him happy. I stopped by city hall and they are 100% on my side. He has called and complained numerous times and they could care less. Local police department said the same pretty much. They urged me to have a deputy come over next time theres a confrontation. According to them I am not responsible for traffic but should try my best to keep under control.They all used the word Scrooge and are definitely on my side!

Several of us have gone though this including myself....Holdman, Plamsa. Unfortunately as Doug said, no matter what you do he will never be happy. But I think your in a different situation as your whole block participates in decorations which obviously draws in a crowd. Sounds like this in nothing new to the neighborhood, however maybe your display brought it over the top. As suggested, I would get with your other neighbors. See how they feel about it. If the majority rules, then frankly screw him. Back it up with the neighbors on board and talk to the city and police. Get a block party permit if needed but don't see why you would need if everyone is involved and doesn't sound like the street needs to be shut down. You likely will need to accommodate them by getting traffic control support and honestly it's probably a good idea. Once the traffic and crowds get big....you should do something to help with it. Having someone in a Santa hat, reflective vest and few cones directing traffic will help and keep them from blocking driveways. Unfortunately you may need to "police" the streets to accommodate your grinch.

Edited by CLD Kevin

Funny how neighbors can be. At first they love it and are in Awww.....but as soon as crowds start, they hate it and want it shut down and gone.

The sad part was the one neighbor who complained had teen kids and they wanted to watch the show. He wouldn't let them and they looked so disappointed.

On the back of the the No Parking signs print (on side facing his house)  the phone numbers of local Realtors.

Kevin, I am addressing the traffic issue. I'm glad I have the city and local Police on my side. I'm sure many of you aren't so lucky. They both basically said screw the scrooge. He's called the city to complain and they blew him off every time. I feel much better after talking to them. I would hate to have it shut down because one neighbor.

You might offer him to remotely light up and control his house too therefore he becomes part of the Joy everyone else is feeling.

Thanks to all! Dgrant, the disgruntled neighbors house is lit up. I think every house on the street has lights. The street decorating for holidays was on the disclosures when I bought the home. Beautiful home but Christmas lights on the street were appealing as well. The city supports me as well as police department. I bring in revenue to the city by attracting people from far and near. They like that. Always been a lot of traffic here. Its doubled since I came this year though

I have had one bad neighbor for the past 6 years...they have called the police MANY times on me. This year he was pounding on the door at 10:02pm, because the music was still playing after 10;00pm (show was in shutdown mode as it is scheduled to go off at 10). I have bent over BACKWARDS trying to be nice to him..but he is just one of the scrooges that complain just to complain.

We have been told, by the police, to ignore him (because they do now) as we are not doing anything illegal.

So let him threaten...HE can't shut you down...

Edited by jimswinder

The police department blew him off as well as the city.  I just want to be a good neighbor.  The police department said he can attempt to sue me but any judge would throw it out.  I don't want to go there....  The city loves it and they have no intentions of causing me any problems.   The police department urged me to call if he complained to me about anything.  They would send a deputy out and set him straight.  LOL.  The City has already told him they don't care.  I love it!  ON WITH THE SHOW! 

Just wait until he parks his big truck in front of your house!

Oh wait that was my neighbour! :)

I use the crane to put the lights up.  Comes in handy with a 20+ ft tall light pole and very tall 2 story house.  Things are looking good with the exception of 70 mph winds that caused chaos to my display. Almost lost my pixel tree last night... Nothing that's not fixable by end of day luckily!

I was having a mental picture of a HD crane not a bucket lift. Was seeing you take the crane and attach it to a car or truck and lifting it by the front bumper. With the rear bumper about 2 foot off of the ground. :lol:

Well... We closed the street off last night for annual toy drive. Santa and Mrs Claus, etc. The neighbors that have called in to the city trying to get me shut down came over and told Santa how much they loved the display.... We probably had 1,000+ people so I didn't see or get to talk to them unfortunately. I'm really scratching my head now.... Maybe they finally realized they are being Scrooges as the City and local Police Department referred to them as.