Light-O-Rama Forums

2015.....What will you change?

dbltrukr1

I am going to change out all my RGB dumb strips to dumb Pixels on the house. The strips are way to bright and even when I lower the intenisty there is not much change. Oh and probably adding another CMB24 controller.

I am thinking of doing the opposite. Take down my Led Smart Pixels & go with the RGB Dumb Strips.  The Smart pixels are bright too just spaced apart compared to strips & hence look less intense, On the other hand all I need is one more Lor Smart Pixel Controller W/2 strings & the house out line will be done in Smart Pixels for 2015.

Edited by lightzilla

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lightzilla

• oilmoney

• bhunt240

• SparkDr

I'm trying to come up with a way to build a " light string wall ". And get the neighbors involved

Don't forget you might want to move from Fort Mac to say Leduc & stop paying higher mortgage rates & that way you will have more money for Light-O-Rama stuff. :)

Edited by lightzilla

:D I'll still leave all the rest of the LED's and even some incans.  For light counts, cause somewhere that's still important right?

There are also other things coming no one knows about... :ph34r:

This year as far as it goes for me less is more. :)

First year RGB for me and will glowingly recommend the HC mega tree.  

3rd year for me, 1st year with the HC mega tree kit.  The feedback from my most valued critics (my 22 year old daughter + 5 year old neighbor) was I've outdone myself this year.  

I will say I was very intimidated at set up time raising and stabilizing a 17' structure + 2' star and considered literally backing out at the last minute even after all the $ and time investment.

this year i added 4 7ch arches and 2 spiral trees that are 16ch single color...

next year i plan to change my 9 mini trees from single color to 3 or 4 color and maybe add 7 more to be an even 16ch per color

i want to make the spiral trees 3 colors

add more strobes

4 outward facing flood lights

hopefully covering my roof with thousands and thousands of 50ct leds in 3 colors 

rgb flood light pack from lor

this year i added 4 7ch arches

It's nice to see someone else working with 7 channels as opposed to the usual 4 or 8.  I must say we are most definitely in the minority and I can certainly appreciate why others do the more common groups. I have a 7 element mini tree prop and I like the balance of a larger center tree (6') with an equal number of descending size smaller trees (4', 3', and 18") to each side.  It just looks nice to me.  I share those 7 channels with my arches and the same symmetry applies.  If I ever get enough courage to attempt the mathematics to calculate the correct protractor angle for equal spacing, I'll be tackling a 7 channel candy cane spinner next.  That will give me 3 complete sets of props running off just 7 channels of a single controller (yes, I'm all LED).  FYI - that lonely leftover channel on the controller is used for a single-element rooftop star.

It's nice to see someone else working with 7 channels as opposed to the usual 4 or 8.  I must say we are most definitely in the minority and I can certainly appreciate why others do the more common groups. I have a 7 element mini tree prop and I like the balance of a larger center tree (6') with an equal number of descending size smaller trees (4', 3', and 18") to each side.  It just looks nice to me.  I share those 7 channels with my arches and the same symmetry applies.  If I ever get enough courage to attempt the mathematics to calculate the correct protractor angle for equal spacing, I'll be tackling a 7 channel candy cane spinner next.  That will give me 3 complete sets of props running off just 7 channels of a single controller (yes, I'm all LED).  FYI - that lonely leftover channel on the controller is used for a single-element rooftop star.

Odd number of channels equals a nice flow over he top, or peak, or whatever you call it.  Odd or even is a major discussion here every year.  I am odd, so I go odd,  for arches.

yessir but i cant take all the credit George gave e some friendly advice i had planned on 9ch arches and 7ch light poles and he said to swap them and i am greatly satisfied with the end results!!!! 9ch light poles and 9 mini trees i can also mimic the chases or borrow chases and efx from either item. but back to the channel count i love having the center start points and end points for certain fades and chases

I just purchased 528 boxes of mini lights from Lowes on black Friday....I have too many things rattling around in my pea sized brain to abandon mini's for RGB/pixels. I have over 100K lights in the display and when I add this new stash to the ones already in the garage I now have as many in boxes for new ideas as I have in this years display.

kevinkolak.com

Well since this year is year number 1 and we only have 16 channels. I think for 2015 we are looking at adding at least 1 more controller to get to 32 channels. I would also like to do part of the roofline in CCBs and maybe create some arches using CCPs. I know we will be on the lookout at garage sales and the like for a set of deer and a blow mold Santa for the flatter part of our roof as well. Those are just the things my wife has mentioned. Yikes. Guess I should get to sequencing for next year. Hahaha.

Next year is the year I add the 12 CCR tree. I am constructing it from aluminum tubing starting in February based on instructions from fellow LOR'ers

Next year I'll be redesigning my mega tree and changing out the rope lights. Just got the incandescent ones and already two bulbs are out. Unacceptable. I'll start sequencing and set up earlier.

Another controller (maybe two).  I'll be adding red C9s to my 7 window frames for sure and then I'm hoping to add one of those snazzy snowflake lines. 

Gonna buy a couple generators, one to run and one for back up to run my show with.

Plus useful for camping or power outages after I up grade to a million lights that can be seen from the International Space Station..

Has to be cheaper then the estimated elec. bill I am expecting for Christmas based on my use for Halloween.

Running about 16,000 more lights for longer periods so I figure I can get more lights and more controllers and still save over the electric company...lol also going to change my archs all to 7 channel from the 8 that I now have,

Hopefully will have My animated Santa sleigh with all the animated Rain Deer finished as it is in the planning stages right now.

Taking my time to make another 1,500 ft of misc extension cords.

May have house/yard rewired to have about 20 more outside plugs around in my 2.5 acre yard. with a larger circuit breaker box that I can connect to my generator... Its fun to Dream...

• 4 weeks later...

I added two coro singing faces this year.  That took a controller.  I'm not pleased with the result.

I think I'll replace the faces with 16 mini trees next year.  Looking for tomato cages now.  Any suggestions on size?

If you are running tomato cages, what size do you use and how many lights per 'tree'?

Now we've changed our minds wer doing the roof grid tri color with c6 leds, making the spiral trees tri colors, adding red green and blue c6 leds to my white mini trees, adding 2- 5' purple spinners and making our own candy canes using rod and c6 red leds and the big things we are adding....

2- 10' 2D trees 3 color

1- 20' 2D tree 3 color both with a large star topper and they will be on the roof ridge line! And to make it better it was my wifes idea!!

Cant wait to get started

Next year I'll be redesigning my mega tree and changing out the rope lights. Just got the incandescent ones and already two bulbs are out. Unacceptable. I'll start sequencing and set up earlier.

Let us know how starting earlier works for you, that method has failed me for 5 years now :-)

I'm planning on a minor redesign on part of my pixel star. That will get done right after I take it down in January. I'm going to add some Coro Hex trees which will likely get done when I get my tax refund in a couple months. I plan to have the 2015 plan nailed down before I take down 2014 so I can start sequencing changes and additions.

Adding two spiral tree's, reducing the excessive amount of lights I've put on my mini tree's (this will enable me to double my mini tree's using the same amount of lights), changing from 5 segment arches to 7, adding a sub panel box into my garage, and adding a star on my roof. Will be adding 32 channels to the show.

Edited by dan24438